Cancelling Sky, but still want record function

Options

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go outside and look around your roof. It should be immediately apparent whether there is still a roof aerial.

However, since you know for certain (having had Sky) that your satellite dish and cables are in full working order, it would probably be prudent to go with Freesat rather than Freeview.

Don't think I've ever seen one. Strangely though, saw one in my loft the other day.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Check the loft as well!

And yes, I wrote my above comment before seeing this! But would it work sitting in the loft?!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes if its connected .
    How well it works depends upon many factors .
    My in loft aerials have always worked but that was pre digital
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And yes, I wrote my above comment before seeing this! But would it work sitting in the loft?!

Assuming that there is a cable going to it, is there an aerial socket in your living room/somewhere downstairs? It will be the same type of connector as the aerial one on the TV. If so, try connecting your TV to it and see if there is a signal.

You will probably have to do a re-tune of the TV.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Options
    OP, if you don't want adverts from ITV, then a recorder is a far better option than catch up. I stopped with ITV hub as it seems to have more adverts than the live TV. I avoid watching anything live on commercial channels unless it's sport, and just use the skip function when I play back from my recorder. Last time I saw a TV ad was when the world cup was on in July.
    I have a Youview box from when I used to be with PlusNet and it does series record and has about 1TB disk space - never got above 50% full anyway. It was 'free' although I paid £5 a month subscription for 12 months.
    If you have a smart TV, you may be able to hook up an external hard drive which would allow you to record as well, but I had that in the past and it wasn't great.
    The more expensive boxes tend to have more space for recording - recording HD channels takes up more room, plus they will have multiple channel record functions. With mine, I can record 2 programmes at the same time and watch a third channel, unless all 3 are part of the same group. Cheap ones might not let you watch another channel while recording.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hub has full ads for recent programmes, but has none or a couple of very short ones if using catchup on a series.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

Okay, so Humax is the way to go. Is there a specific one I should be looking at as I literally have no clue! And even these seem to rang from £139 up wards in Currys.

I think I will see how I manage without the whole recordable thing for a while and if I really miss it, then look into getting a box.
    Yes Humax is the way to go but only with their excellent Youview box. Records with lots of space, catch up, iplayer, netflix amazon, now tv and apps and IMO is better quality than the humax recorders. Latest Youview does 4k . Plenty of used older Youview boxes on Ebay
  • Redlady.....
    Options
    I lost my partner last June and a month or so later started to sort out my financial situation. It wasn't in a bad state or anything, just wanted to see where I was. We'd had Sky for many years but only really kept it for the sports. I decided that the whole lot was costing too much and decided to reduce it down to the basic and see if I watched it enough to either keep or get rid.

I had bought a smart tv while my partner was ill, only because it had a big screen and he could see it better. It was a few months after he'd died before I started exploring the wonders of smart tv's, wow, who needs Sky?

I rung sky and asked to cancel, only to be told I'd agreed to an 18 month contract and couldn't cancel until Nov 2019. Not having done a deal for lots of years I knew I hadn't had a contract for a long time so presumed that when I rang them to reduce to basic it was straightforward. I was offered deals but I didn't want one just a reduction. It seems that even that was an 18 month contract.

Anyway, I have decided to just cut the DD and let them chase me forever more. Can anyone tell me whether I will still be able to use my Sky + box and remote to get terrestrial channels or will Sky do something remotely to my box because of none payment.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They will trash your credit record and pass the debt to a recovery agency who will pester you forever more .
    After contract ends you can move or cut services with no penaltys .
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me whether I will still be able to use my Sky + box and remote to get terrestrial channels or will Sky do something remotely to my box because of none payment.

Yes, your Sky+ box will continue to receive the Free to Air channels.

However, you will lose the recording function.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure