BEV emmissions

Options

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But of course where the confirmation bias is strong you only see the bits you want to see

What is 'the confirmation bias' you're talking about?
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    You were damn close.

GA is basically saying that whenever you plug something into an electrical socket, it only uses CCGT electricity because the grid has to ramp up to supply the electricity andonly CCGT sources can do that. So despite the UK electricity supply having a mix of generation, only CCGT is actually used when something is plugged in.

It seems that while electricity moves at the speed of light, CCGT electricity is faster and so only this is actually used. Also, it seems that people are daft in thinking they are using their own solar powered electricity or nuclear energy if they live near a reactor to charge their car because electricity doesn't work like that, yet they're not daft if they think all of their electricity comes from CCGT if they live next door to a CCGT plant.

I'm glad we have GA here to clear all this up for us. :rotfl:
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's an interesting article about marginal emissions, when to use the theory and more importantly when not to, as it is often abused by charlatans.

Basically marginal emissions are "short-lived and volatile, so while they are useful for short-term scheduling of flexible loads, they are not a good fit for evaluating longer-term changes... So it wouldn’t make sense to use marginal emissions to talk about carbon footprints or to talk about the impact of a new appliance. In fact, I struggle to find many good applications for marginal emissions beyond load shifting"

When to use Marginal Emissions (and when not to) by Sherry Listgarten
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    ed110220 wrote: »
    Here's an interesting article about marginal emissions, when to use the theory and more importantly when not to, as it is often abused by charlatans.

Basically marginal emissions are "short-lived and volatile, so while they are useful for short-term scheduling of flexible loads, they are not a good fit for evaluating longer-term changes... So it wouldn’t make sense to use marginal emissions to talk about carbon footprints or to talk about the impact of a new appliance. In fact, I struggle to find many good applications for marginal emissions beyond load shifting"

When to use Marginal Emissions (and when not to) by Sherry Listgarten

What a waste of time
    She says absolutely nothing more than 'some people think X I think Y'

She is also wrong in that marginal emmissions are not short lived
    Her example of peaker plant is disingenuous or ignorance because that would only be true in a grid that was 100% clean most of the time and only firing up a gas peaker some of the time

Such grids are extremely rare the norm is like the UK or Germany or Chinese grid where marginal emmissions are from either coal or gas the majority of the time so they are not short lived at all in fact Germany will be marginal gas/coal/lignite for at least another 10-20 years
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ed110220 wrote: »

Logically, I think we should just look to trends. With the UK shifting leccy generation to RE at about 3%pa, and BEV cars adding about ~10%net over perhaps 25yrs (0.4%pa), then anyway you try to 'play' it BEV's are cleaner and greener, and ever more so as we move forwards.

The spin and tricks from the FF desperado's will never end, so it's really down to the logical masses to dismiss and ignore them.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This article could be posted in the main G&E energy thread, but as LA/Cali is moving to greener generation, but has a massive transport 'problem' I wonder if it's better placed here (also reminds me of the similar argument in an older article that showed school performance reductions for those kids travelling in on the diesel school buses):

Air Filters Used In LA Schools Linked To Higher Test Scores
    Air pollution is a very serious threat to human health. Each year, hundreds of thousands of premature deaths are linked to this global problem. Various illnesses result as well. Another problem, but one that typically receives less attention, is cognitive decline. A number of research studies have come out in recent years documenting this link. It’s very obvious, if not extremely so, that intelligence is central to human functioning at all levels of human societies.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Her example of peaker plant is disingenuous or ignorance because that would only be true in a grid that was 100% clean most of the time and only firing up a gas peaker some of the time

Lol, as I said, Comedy Gold!!! :D

GA argues that this blogger is being disingenuous and ignorant because her claims are only true if a grid is 100% renewables, in order to defend his own claims on EV emissions based on a grid that is 100% fossil fuel (CCGT).

You could not make it up. His lack of irony and self-awareness is delicious. :rotfl:

This is right up there with his 'nuclear powered central heating' and 'cheaper to have high speed cars in hundred mile long tunnels than high speed rail' statements. :)
  • GreatApe
    Options
    Lol, as I said, Comedy Gold!!! :D

GA argues that this blogger is being disingenuous and ignorant because her claims are only true if a grid is 100% renewables, in order to defend his own claims on EV emissions based on a grid that is 100% fossil fuel (CCGT).

You could not make it up. His lack of irony and self-awareness is delicious. :rotfl:

This is right up there with his 'nuclear powered central heating' and 'cheaper to have high speed cars in hundred mile long tunnels than high speed rail' statements. :)

Nice to know you're stalking my every post

By comparison I don't recall anything you've ever posted :rotfl: it was that interesting
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    Nice to know you're stalking my every post

You're posting on a public forum and complaining that people are responding to your posts?

Interesting that you seem able to respond to Mart an awful lot, but cry foul if people respond to yourself. A case of being able to dish it out but not take it?
  • GreatApe
    Options
    You're posting on a public forum and complaining that people are responding to your posts?

No I like it
    My little brother also used to follow me everywhere
    Until about the age of 5
    It's cute You're adorable
    Interesting that you seem able to respond to Mart an awful lot, but cry foul if people respond to yourself. A case of being able to dish it out but not take it?

This might sound odd but I don't really respond to anyone in particular
    When I said I don't recall any of your posts it's true
    Mostly because I don't look at who wrote the post
    I read what's posted and comment on that rather than who posted it
    Something is suggest more people should do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts