Can sister in law attend will reading?

Options

Comments

• mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A will is a matter of public record. Once probate has been obtained anyone (whether they are mentioned in the will or not) can apply for a copy of the will.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=.........My_grandmother_and_one_of_her_sisters_once_fell_out_for_years_over_a_pig-shaped_nail_brush_so_believe_me,_it_doesn't_take_much!_.......[/QUOTE]

It was a moulded glass sugar basin in my family!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    While we are painted a picture of the evil SIL here, the fact is that if these items are not mentioned in the will and the estate is to be split between the OP and her brother he also has a right to a share of his mother’s chattels. Sons often want something from their mother that they can gift to their wife which they can pass on to their daughters, so I think the OP is being unreasonable in wanting it all.

She should have the grace to come to an arrangement with her brother on how to split these things.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's your take on it.

If DesperateScousewife says that her mother told her the rings were hers and that she gave them to her when they had to be removed in the hospital, who could prove otherwise?

It can't be proven either way, so if the family were daft enough to take it to court, the judge would look at whose fingers they were on. That would be mum's, until the moment they became too uncomfortable to keep on, an unspecified but short time before death.

By contrast if the OP had been wearing them for weeks with mum's knowledge, that would be clear evidence that a gift was made before death.

If the OP has a witness prepared to testify that after her mother asked her to remove the rings she immediately made her a gift of them, then it's not just "he said, she said" anymore.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    While we are painted a picture of the evil SIL here, the fact is that if these items are not mentioned in the will and the estate is to be split between the OP and her brother he also has a right to a share of his mother’s chattels. Sons often want something from their mother that they can gift to their wife which they can pass on to their daughters, so I think the OP is being unreasonable in wanting it all.

She should have the grace to come to an arrangement with her brother on how to split these things.

Very much agree with this.
  • gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 January 2020 at 9:41PM
    Options
    After my MIL (who I'd always got on with) died my FIL gave all her jewellery to my SIL.

EDIT : just realised half the post appeared!

Just wanted to add that whilst I wasn't expecting half, I did think a token piece would have been nice to have been given but didn't feel it was my place to ask for one (& I think it totally went over hubby's head).

Didn't affect my realionship with FIL but wondered for a long time if he felt the same about me as I did for him.
  • Flix21
    Flix21 Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think this is why it’s important to either divide things up before death or stipulate what goes to who in the will. Save all this drama.

My mum gave me the jewellery she wanted me to have a month before she passed away, in the presence of a witness. She also made mention of it in her will.
    Meant others in the family had nothing to argue.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    in her will, my mother left all her jewellery to me - her only daughter. The exception was 2 specific bracelets which were left to the 2 granddaughters. However, I asked my SIL and my DIL to chose an item as a keepsake which they did.

There was absolutely no animosity as we are a close family and not so mercenary as many people who post on these boards about resentment when it come to inheritance.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am attending. To protect my interest and those of my child/grandchild mentioned in the Will.
    Sil was asking me where my mums rings are. I removed them in the hospital as mums fingers were swelling. Sil was insisting her daughter has them as a keepsake. I told her I am only daughter and I was only one who looked after mum and I am having them. Mum had previously said they were mine. But obviously hard to prove that. So sil in a threatening manner said they are part of mums estate. So it’s not going to go smoothly. :eek:

Grandaughters on sister in law side get nothing as a keepsake to remember her?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    Grandaughters on sister in law side get nothing as a keepsake to remember her?

It would be surprising if Gran didn't have any other jewellery apart from the rings she regularly wore - those could be divided among the other family members.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure