PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

new challenge - grocery

Options

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ohhh SSaver I'm nosey, sorry interested enough to enjoy reading other peeps shopping lists. I noticed you buy bread flour. Do you make ya own bread? If you do can it possibly work out cheaper than an economy 9p loaf? I ask cos my breadmaker has been gathering dust for 2 yrs. I only drag it out to make jam.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make it because its nicer. I made a 5 seed loaf the other day, 59p. If you buy 5 seed bread i dont even know how much it is. I make pizzas at home, but you can use the standard plain flour for that too. I made a bloomer yesterday, 1lb 10oz of flour, I know that works out cheaper than a bloomer from a shop, and again its nicer i know exactly whats in it. Ous was HUGE. I am also giving my kids something to do by helping me cook these things, and hopefully educating them and their tastebuds.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi SSaver - Thanks for putting your shopping bill up :)

Re: the trainer pants - do you mean cos you are potty-training or for bed time wear?

I always used (still do) disposibles but when eldest came out of nappies during day i used trainer pants at night - but i stopped after a while and went back to nappies cos i found not only were they more expensive but they weren't as good as keeping him dry - unless this is the idea to get 'em to wake up for a wee. Course it could have just been that my son wee'd a lot ::)
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i get pampers pull ups for night only because huggies dri nites are SO expensive, also my sons get up in the night sometimes and go to the loo - more dificult in a nappy. dont want to go back 2 nappies bcos my 4.5 yr old is otherwise a 'big boy' and i dont think he'd like it.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done S saver for keeping your costs down. Can I be cheeky now and ask for your bread recipe and do you make it in the breadmaker?
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I know this has been mentioned before but I bulk buy most of my stuff.

Thought I would add my meat bulk buy. I go to the local 'cattle market' which doesn't sell cattle any more but is just a huge open air market. I get fruit and veg from here - it doesn't last as long as shop bought stuff but it is MUCH cheaper - I use it for Sunday lunch. They also sell big bags of potatoes, carrots, onions etc.

But the best thing I get from there is bulk buy meat. There is butcher in a van shouting his deals and you can get loads of good offers from there. I got 20 chicken breasts for £10 - thats 50p each and it is really good quality stuff. They also have 3 massive joints for £10 etc. etc.

I only go once every few months but I have to clear space in the freezer first - I can only just shut the door now.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i get pampers pull ups for night only because huggies dri nites are SO expensive, also my sons get up in the night sometimes and go to the loo - more dificult in a nappy. dont want to go back 2 nappies bcos my 4.5 yr old is otherwise a 'big boy' and i dont think he'd like it.
    Right I see. My own son was younger when i returned to disposibles for night-time (about 3). No my own 4.5 year old wouldn't be happy about wearing a nappy to bed.
    Have you registered your (new baby ;)) with the Pampers and Huggies club to receive vouchers - got this tip from Judi - I'd not thought of it :D
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done S saver  for keeping your costs down.  Can I be cheeky now and ask for your bread recipe and do you make it in the breadmaker?
    Depends on the bread. The 5 seed loaf is a packet mix 59p from tescos. I make the dough in the breadmaker bcos the quantity is too big, but you could halve it. I used the recipe off the tesco yeast sachets last night when i made the white loaf. 1lb 10oz bread flour, 450ml warm water, 1 sachet yeast, 2tsp salt, 1oz fat i did not add the egg its not necessary, i dusted with flour rather than glazing it, made the dough in the bread machine and baked it in the oven because its the size of a small caravan ;D about 25-30 mins at gas 7 near the bottom of the oven.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks ssaver, I think I'll be brave and give that a try. I have a breadmaker and it's not used enough!! I must mend my ways :)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone giving this challenge a try? Need to set it a bit lower for me LOL ;D
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts