New Post Advanced Search

new challenge - grocery

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
80 replies 6.5K views
crana9crana9 Forumite
141 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I'd like to suggest a new "challenge" if anyone is up for it - similar to the cheap meal challenges that have been on here - but for a week.

I guess you can do it for as many people as you like (or as few).. for the rules.. shall we say you're allowed roughly £10 worth of things like spices, stock cubes, oil etc that you will only use in small amounts as a "starting kit".

you can then use £10 per person. (if this is too restrictive.. post your week's suggestions anyway :) )
should have 5 fruit & veg per person per day and reasonable amounts of protein etc..
They call me Mr Pig!

Replies

• There's a book called 'Feed Your Family for £5 a day' by Bernadine Lawrence that does more or less what you say down to a shopping list. I had it in poorer days and found it reasuring - the idea was that you could feed your family on benefit levels and not eat baked potatoes every day.

I didn't live by it because it meant making bread every day - easier now with breadmakers. I did find it very practical though - good home cookingusing supermarket ingredients.
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...good home cookingusing supermarket ingredients.

The book you talk about sounds very interesting, will look it up on Amazon, but the idea of promoting the use of supermarket ingredients as an economy drive is a bit dangerous (money-wise and environment-wise).

Cost-wise, unless the shopper is disciplined enough to buy ONLY savers or loss-leader items, everything else tends to be more expensive than markets and local grocers.

Shopping for small amounts will always be more expensive than getting bulk food and it is also much more environmentally friendly because it avoids all the overpackaging and food miles involved in supermarket retail shopping.

There are untold hidden costs to our personal health and the health of our planet in buying only supermarket 'cheap' food!

I hope that more and more people will read the really informative book by Felicity Lawrence: Not on the Label - to get an idea of the consequences of some supermarket 'cheap' lines! This is the book that has stopped Cathy and many other people from buying bagged salad!

I hope I do not sound sanctimonious or too 'preachy' but this cause is so dear to my heart because I am getting more and more depressed about the exploitation of people and resources by the multinationals of food (and others too, but don't start me hehehe)!

The challenge is very interesting and I shall give it a good thought and maybe a try later on!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry Caterina, I have had this book for some time now and Bernadine Lawrence also talks about using her local greengrocer. Most of the ingredients she uses are also available at local shops also health food store although perhaps a bit pricier. I guess it is down to the individuals choice as to where they source their basic ingredients.

It is however, a good book encouraging you to make your own bread, yogurts and soups etc also gives you a menu for 4 weeks (prices will be out of date by now though!! ;D)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Sorry - when I say supermarket ingredients, I mean stuff you can pick up from 'ordinary shops'. In other words, she doesn't use things you can only pick up in health food shops or ethnic grocers.
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    exactly! It is a good book and very useful for anyone on a tight budget.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    is £10 per person including kids? I already do it for £30 a week, 1 adult 3 kids, including trainer pants or the boys at night, detergents, bin liners, toiletries...
    Do i need to post my shopping list?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • VickyA_2VickyA_2 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    is £10 per person including kids? I already do it for £30 a week, 1 adult 3 kids, including trainer pants or the boys at night, detergents, bin liners, toiletries...

Definitely! I need to know where I'm going wrong. You're doing a great job there Ssaver.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 declared:staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin :staradmin
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please. If you don't mind :)
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scuse if this is a bit scruffy i just cut and pasted it from my Tesco receipt. What you will see is not the whole story. I shop from Tesco once a fortnight, and the total is not the 59 quid it says because of the multibuys/special offers not being taken off. So its usually on or around the £50 mark. For example the salmon and the chicken were 2 packs for £5, then I wont need these things next time round. I use whatever vouchers I can from my clubcard mailings. I use the other £10 a fortnight to get fruit and veg (though I get things on offer from tescos) locally in the market or cheap corner shops. I have been lazy this week and bought tesco onions but next time it will be a sack of onions which is 99p down the road from where i live. I make a lot of bread, alternating crap value stuff with homemade. This was a 'pants' week so this means i needed to buy trainer pants for the boys for night time. I include that in my grocery budget. I did use washables when they were babies, have considered going back to that. Also I get things like fresh coriander locally and use what I need straightaway then freeze the rest. I grow mint, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, basil and parsley. I usually only get meat from tescos if it is on offer. Otherwise I look in the local cheapy butchers for offers. I once got 5 joints of meat for £5 - and its all legit. There are a lot of food processing places near here and these were Marks and spencers beef/pork/gammon joints ready to roast in tins. I buy dried beans/lentils/chick peas etc. locally because they are cheaper, getting these when necessary out of the £10 a fortnight which I havent spent in Tesco's. I make my own laundry detergent, and as you can see there is vinegar on the list ;D for use as fabric conditioner and cleaning. Its also quite good on chips!!!
    This fortnight's Tesco shop
    The total guide price is 59.39*. This does not include any savings from Multisave or Internet Exclusive promotions. These extra deductions will be made when your order is delivered
    2 Tesco Value Sliced White Bread 800g Each £0.19 £0.38
    1 Tesco Value 12 White Finger Rolls Each £0.28 £0.28
    1 New York Cinnamon & Raisin Bagels 5 Pack Each £1.09 £1.09
    1 Cox Apples Poly Bag Class 1 Each £1.49 £1.49
    1 Tesco Cooking Onions 1kg Class 2 Each £0.99 £0.99
    1 Tesco Carrots 1 Kg Pack Class 1 Each £0.35 £0.35
    1 Tesco Value Unsmoked Streaky 275g Each £0.85 £0.85
    1 Tesco German Peppered Salami 100g Each £0.93 £0.93
    2 Tesco 2 Skinless Boneless Salmon Fillets 260g Each £2.68 £5.36
    1 Tesco Butter Me Up 1kg Each £1.35 £1.35
    2 Pilgrims Choice Classic Mature 400g Each £2.99 £5.98
    4 Tesco Low Fat Toffee Yogurt 150g Each £0.19 £0.76