PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Good morning. Today I bought some fresh pasta (note to self - must start making my own), some budget pork loin chops and some chestnut mushrooms. I'll cook dinner on the solid fuel stove tonight - pasta with fried pork, peas, mushrooms in a peanut and chilli sauce (sort of). For a norty weekend treat, got some diet coke and Teachers whisky (it was to be Teachers on account of the malty flavour :beer:).
    Whisky and coke :eek: my Papa would have had you strung up for that:rotfl::rotfl:As far as he was concerned whisky came either "raw" or "ruined"......;)

Sounds as though you've got a nice cosy weekend planned and thanks you have just inspired my dinner for tonight - turkey steak cooked in ratatouille with spaghetti:D
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Whisky and coke :eek: my Papa would have had you strung up for that:rotfl::rotfl:As far as he was concerned whisky came either "raw" or "ruined"......;)
    In my defence, at least I wouldn't do that to a single malt :D
    But I can confess to even worse - coke and red wine. I thought I had invented it and was very disappointed to find that it was a known combo
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/kalimotxo-drink_n_1428364
  • caronc
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    In my defence, at least I wouldn't do that to a single malt :D
    But I can confess to even worse - coke and red wine. I thought I had invented it and was very disappointed to find that it was a known combo
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/kalimotxo-drink_n_1428364
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I suppose that's something!

I'll confess to not minding red wine & lemon fanta when on holiday.....:o I've never liked coke mixed with alcohol!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    At the moment the heating is off and the windows are opened but I think that will be getting reversed shortly:)
    My routine I try to keep to is:
    - only have the heating on for 2 hours/day unless it's an exceptionally freezing cold day/spell or Xmas Day or my birthday.
    - in the morning there's been no heating on overnight, open the windows/doors as wide as possible for as long as possible to air the house.... huddle under a blanket. Shut the doors/windows when I can't bear it any longer.... huddle under the blanket until the very last moment I can bear to be cold, then turn the heating on for the 2 hours "allowed", which is ideally well after 4pm. :)

I figure that I'm saving my fuel money for the future point when I need it on longer, thus saving the cost to be spent in the future :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Actually normal weather here for once - bright/sunny/just a mild breeze/no rain :rotfl:

- but it's blimmin' cold.

Lunch and morning thing took longer than I thought - so I havent yet made my supermarket trip I was going to do. So - it'll be a CBA thing then I guess - toast some sourdough bread/have some fruit after and then I'll be off to the supermarket.

Think I shall try out another recipe from current cookbook for dinner - ie Sloppy Jacks - a sort of mince-type thing using some jackfruit (ie canned - as it doesn't "travel" to this country it seems).

Don't know what I'm going to think of jackfruit - will be first time of trying. I've been reading all the recipes going the rounds for pulled jackfruit (and all the comments that people think they're eating pork - until they're told what it actually is - ie a fruit) and descriptions of taste sound nice. So - right...that's my biggest food experiment for the month then.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    .... jackfruit (ie canned - as it doesn't "travel" to this country it seems).....

You were lucky to be able to find it for sale! I bet it's a "big city/big store, middle class demographics area only" product.

You're right it seems it'd work.... and having a tin of something that works is always a winner.

But it's not a cheap little beastie is it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 1:01PM
    Options
    You were lucky to be able to find it for sale! I bet it's a "big city/big store, middle class demographics area only" product.

You're right it seems it'd work.... and having a tin of something that works is always a winner.

But it's not a cheap little beastie is it.

Well I bought it from Amazon actually - as I didn't think I'd find it here.....though I would have expected it where I've come from.

...and then I have actually seen it here since (in a health food shop).

This area doesn't fit any of that description - not a city and, most definitely, not middle-class (absolutely no-one would describe where I am now that way....:().
  • caronc
    Options
    I think we might be in for some mist/fog as the sun has gone that hazy way it goes before the mist comes in. Our forecast is for -5C by midnight so I suspect it will be much colder than that inland:(

Lunch was a roll with cheese and the last of a jar of "Hot Beetroot" chutney with veg sticks on the side, it was very tasty but I feel as though I could still eat something else though I'm trying to resist.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I went with a plate filling 2-egg cheese omelette, chips and beans..... OMG that was good :)

That used to be one of my "typical items chosen from a menu" when I used to eat at, say, a cheap cafe.

Cost about 45p + cheese , so much cheaper than paying "eating out prices", eh!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    oh dear, sounds like you have the mouth hunger for crunchy that I had. I had one satisfying biscuit after my meal just now and the lingering buttery taste has taken the place of wolfing a whole tasteless packet. Much better. I am putting the recipe ito my blue notebook. I used 175 for about 12 minutes (fan)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1739643/easy-peasy-gingersnaps

Thanks, duly noted and maybe maiden voyage this weekend, depends on the Saturday morning weigh in;)

Bright with a Baltic wind here, no gardening today

Nil breakfast
    Apart from coffee & honey just a huge YS pizza from L's. It must be family size. No idea why YS, over a week before BBE

Lunch was back to cheese & salady sarnie

Dinner, just do not know.
    Last night's finished up as choc spread on toast, I don't want to repeat that, found my spud horde has white legs, so baked ones out of the question

Tempted to freezer dive and oik out some frozen fish thing, either breaded fillet or posh W/r fingers, and make chips with a sprouty spud
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback