The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Can I please ask how you know the credit utilisation on the CC's?

As a decimal fraction, balance divided by credit limit. Multiply by 100 to get the percentage value :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,552 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    As a decimal fraction, balance divided by credit limit. Multiply by 100 to get the percentage value :)

I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 April 2018 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Thaks Squirrel, I'll send you your virtual assistant fee directly :T

£3.22 paid off a CC (TT, my H@lifax reward and the smallest interest payment ever).
  • edinburgher
    Options
    I hadn't actually realised that it affected me, but apparently there's a daft new "intermediate rate" tax band of 21% from roughly £12.5k to £32k in Scotland? Because this is out of sync with the rest of the UK, it means that if I make any private pension contributions, I have to reclaim 1% from the taxman? Good grief :mad:

I think increases to Plan 1 Student Loan threshold and personal allowance still make me a few £ a month better off, but it's an odd one.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose the different sets of legislation are bound to throw up one-offs like that from time to time. I remember how your English readers were really, really envious of Scottish laws and customs on house buying and selling, me among them :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edited 4 April 2018 at 5:32PM
    Options
    £2.80 paid off a CC (ordered myself a wee holiday read and recycled an Am@zon voucher).

Edit: another £2.09 paid off a CC by the same route, plus I have enough promotional credits to surprise DD with a "free" copy of Finding Dory :j
  • edinburgher
    Options
    And another £35.96 paid off via the same route :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,552 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Only in Scotland,bah.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edited 5 April 2018 at 8:36AM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I suppose the different sets of legislation are bound to throw up one-offs like that from time to time. I remember how your English readers were really, really envious of Scottish laws and customs on house buying and selling, me among them :)

You're right of course, KC, and I don't actually mind paying more tax if it's spent wisely (honest). What I don't like is daft wee steps that arise because a change has been half baked (like the pensions thing). If you're going to take more money from me, at least make it as smooth as possible :)

£0.36 paid off a CC, creeping pretty close to 60% total utilisation, which I thought was a while off... will check my figures.

Edit: right enough! I will pass under 60% total utilisation on Monday, only £113 away :T
  • edinburgher
    edited 5 April 2018 at 9:59AM
    Options
    I have sent off the forms to consolidate my final DC pension pot into my SIPP, now I can watch my investments dwindle in the one place :D

Fees are lower in my current SIPP, but there is an admin cost to transfer out of the old one and simplicity is the main aim.

For anyone who is interested, Vanguard are launching a SIPP by the end of 2018. Expect the fees to be very low, along the lines of their other products. Link to express your interest at the bottom of this page. With only moderate tinkering, it's possible to mirror one of their global accumulation funds with a total fee of less than 0.30% (platform + all other fees).

For people with kids, their JISA fees are also nice and low :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure