TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 March 2015 at 9:53AM
    Options
    It's not recommended to have a Virgin or Sky box if you want to be legally licence free (LLF). This is not a legal requirement as such, but is about having a simple set-up that TVL and Magistrates would find consistent with being LLF, if it should come to that.

TVL field staff are not there to assess whether you watch or record TV broadcasts (how could they know that?) They are there to obtain evidence of evasion, and a fully connected VM box is just that.

Whether you end up having to prove your innocence depends largely on you. TVL, if they come to your door will almost certainly ask to see the TV. But you can simply say no. They are devious, though, and will say all sorts of things, some of which are not true, in order to check your innocence.
  • BBC-Died-in-1980
    BBC-Died-in-1980 Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2015 at 11:34AM
    Options
    locate a copy of a DVD called "the ship that rocks" to see how stuck in there ways the BBC was , and it was only the pirate radio stations that stopped the stupid stuck up "old" people at the BBC from continuing in there ways.
    they had to start radio 1 as an alternative to pirate radio.

with other TV stations cropping up now (legally) , sky , virgin etc , the BBC don,t give a hoot , they just sit back take the money and produce less good output.

Actually: "The boat that rocked" - from the point of view of the history of offshore radio, far from 100% accurate - but it gives you an idea of how the Government uses broadcasting as a whip, & how it supresses a new "Free" of Government control, voice. But Radio Caroline & it's Irish Leader, Ronan - gave the mighty BBC the biggest kick in the backside it has ever had.
    &
    HI Cornucopia - HWW.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Hi HWW. :beer:
  • BBC-Died-in-1980
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Hi HWW. :beer:
    Yes, will shall have to have a drink one day
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice surprise today...

Got refunded the full quarter back to my bank account today :)

Such nice people at TVL ;)

Cheers!
  • Lorri_D
    Options
    Do you need a licence to was say itv+1 or 4+1
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Yes.

Bit more text because otherwise post is too short.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes

From the TVL website
    Are +1 channels such as channel 5+1, ITV+1, E4+1 considered live TV broadcasts, thus requiring a TV Licence to view or do these channels count as on demand services?

A +1 channel is a “live TV broadcast” in its own right. The term “live TV broadcast” refers to watching any television programme service as it is being shown on TV. A +1 channel is a television programme service and anyone watching or recording a television programme as it is being shown on TV requires a TV Licence. This means that you need a TV Licence regardless of which television channels you receive and how you receive them (terrestrial, satellite, cable and the internet).
    Cheryl
  • Lorri_D
    Options
    OK to say pay I have ALWAYS had a licence (approx 35 years) my partner and i are separating after 28 years he has cancelled everything and emptied out the accounts so I am left with nothing so sometimes you need not to pay for a while so this site is handy while I get on my feet. It would be much better if licence payers could hold the BBC accountable for how they spend the money and why do I have to fund the Radio? please understand sometime people would like to pay it is just the wrong time.
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorri_D wrote: »
    Do you need a licence to was say itv+1 or 4+1

not if you watch them on a catch up service, such as ITV's own ITV player...you only need a licence if watching a live TV program as it's broadcast or if YOU record a TV show.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback