PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Miserable first time buyer with buyers remorse

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most people "regret" a house purchase, it seems overwhelming once you get in .... then everybody spots the things they didn't spot and "hates" it ....

At least yours is "just a cattle grid" which is an inanimate object that doesn't move as such .... feral neighbours are worse as they are unpredictable and move all over the area, your garden/fence, the road .... you never know what they'll be getting up to, when or where!

Yes it's annoying....but you can re-engineer the house to change that - and, over time, you'll get used to it .... you can't re-engineer bad neighbours or get used to them.

Enjoy your new house.
  • PositivelyPerturbed
    Options
    I wish I could record the sound and post it on here. The noise is continual from 6am through to around 9pm, and it's a unique, and very loud clunking noise. I am already looking into defra rules and directives to see if I can write to my local council about it. Oddly, houses on this street do sell pretty quickly, and I could probably sell for a profit as we have already ripped out all the Woodchip wallpaper, polystyrene ceiling tiles and old fashioned carpets (as well as installing the double glazing). We took out a 15 year mortgage, but are hoping to clear it in 8. Our only child will then have finished his schooling and be (hopefully) in his first year of university. We actually thought the location was excellent when we first looked at it - it has a major bus station 5 mins away and a train station 10mins away. It also has immediate access to the dual carriageway and lots of shops (even a Sainsbury's supermarket) a short stroll. We also did our research and discovered massive development going on that will be finished next year and bring over 1000 jobs to the area which, we figured, would increase the resale and rental value of the property.
    I think it's a feeling of helplessness that makes me feel down. Our new oven arrives today, but we have lived without one for 2 months, so I have gained weight and neglected my running and swimming regime. My son is a pre-teen hormonal sod and my puppy is running me ragged. My house is a building site (we've taken down some old lath and plaster ceilings and walls by ourselves) and the joyous feeling of being free from the shackles of the rental market has truly escaped me.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Noise so affects people differently. I!!!8217;ve always lived on quite main roads but now as I approach midlife can!!!8217;t stand car noises. However I love train noise and use it to get to sleep to! My daughter loves car noise, my husband finds a ticking clock depressing. See how you get on for while x
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP when you are feeling generally run down issues are exasperated! I speak from experience.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Op - I get cross with the cars using the road. Do not let it make you poorly
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The noise is continual from 6am through to around 9pm, and it's a unique, and very loud clunking noise. I am already looking into defra rules and directives to see if I can write to my local council about it.
    If you google cattle grid noise its a common complaint. Ask your neighbours about it. They might also be keen to reduce the noise.
  • anonmum
    anonmum Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Murphybear wrote: »
    I love the word “mahoosive”:rotfl:

We moved to a house on a farm 6 months ago. There were a few sheep and cows in fields far enough away so you didn’t hear them. However the farmers built a massive barn a few yards away and the animals were moved in at the start of the cold. Cows moo 24 hours a day bless their little cotton hooves. Doesn’t really bother me, I like cows. Especially when their products are turned into cheese or they end up as a nice juicy steak:rotfl:

I imagine that cows could make a 'moohoosive' noise? lol :rotfl:

helen x
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I am already looking into defra rules and directives to see if I can write to my local council about it.
    I wouldn't bother checking with the rules and regs, I'd just write to the planning department asking about it. Be polite and state your problem in simple terms, let them decide whether you "should" be writing or not.

The quicker you get the ball rolling, the quicker you will find out what can be done. Most people working at a council are human and do want to help with issues especially ones dealing with quality of life, even if it is not strictly within their remit. If they do come back with a "nothing to do with us" reply then you can start digging out the appropriate rules to start quoting back at them.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I'd definitely complain to whoever is responsible for the cattle grid, some of them can be incredibly noisy when driven over, whilst others are practically silent, so it can be rectified even if it means whoever is responsible for it has to replace/reinstall it.

People are quick enough to complain about loose manhole covers or drains making a loud clanging noise every time they're driven over, this is no different.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 1:42PM
    Options
    I too am very noise sensitive - at night all noises become SO loud - I hear things no-one else can - I have lived near a train station, got used to it; near a runway, got used to it; in outer London ug, got used to it; at the moment we live very near the M54 (in military quarters so have no choice) for the first month I barely slept - windows closed and I could still hear the traffic. 2 years on and I sleep with the windows open and barely notice it - you will get used to it. Try to focus on the good things of the house and it will get easier. Hang in there.

And yes see if the issue can be addressed by way of doing something to the grid itself. (Strangely I find their clunking reassuring)
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family