MMD: Should I pay more than my partner?

Options

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 2:56PM
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    What if your incomes change later in the relationship? E.g. one of you goes part time after having kids? Or one of you retires? Or one of you becomes sick or disabled? Or one of you has a windfall, or becomes mega-famous? Or one of you runs a business which fails? Or gets made redundant and struggles to find new work? Should you still carry on contributing 50:50 if the income disparity becomes large? And so the one with all the income can buy themselves whatever toys and treats they like while the other can't afford a take-out sandwich?

I'm all for maintaining separate finances but it's unfair if one of you ends up with significantly more disposable income than the other.
    Well it's funny you should mention that as my wife is currently on maternity leave and will be going back to work part time. The bills still need to be paid and the bank aren't going to reduce the mortgage payment just because we've had a baby are they?

It's called planning, living within your means and accepting the ups and downs of life. Of course if one of us was made redundant the other would take up the slack until alternative employment was obtained, that's called supporting each other. I'm currently paying all the bills while her earnings are reduced. When she starts earning she'll start contributing again. It's not a difficult concept.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• fatrab
    Options
    .. however he is adamant about staying 50/50.

Completely agree with your OH, you got into it together 50/50 so why should that change if you're now doing better for yourself? You'll be able to pay for holidays, have a nicer car or save more money for the future but you shouldn't be expected to pay more, or less, for the same roof over your head as your partner.

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    Well it's funny you should mention that as my wife is currently on maternity leave and will be going back to work part time. The bills still need to be paid and the bank aren't going to reduce the mortgage payment just because we've had a baby are they?

It's called planning, living within your means and accepting the ups and downs of life. Of course if one of us was made redundant the other would take up the slack until alternative employment was obtained, that's called supporting each other. I'm currently paying all the bills while her earnings are reduced. When she starts earning she'll start contributing again. It's not a difficult concept.
    So while your wife is living off maternity pay you still expect her to stump up for half the bills? When I was on maternity leave I got something like £120 a week, which wouldn't have come close to covering half the bills. I'm glad that my husband was more reasonable than you.
  • frugalwin
    frugalwin Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2018 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I'd personally say you need to consider a bunch of other factors, with income coming perhaps third or fourth:
    - What are your financial goals? What are his? How well do they align?
    - Which one of you (if any) is driving any lifestyle inflation?
    - Are there extenuating circumstances that result in the lower wage? (e.g. maternity, sickness, caring for a family member).
    - And finally, yes, the wage disparity.

For example, if you, the higher wage earner, are fine with working to state retirement age, and want all the trappings of modern life (new cars, detached 5 bedroom house, etc.), but he is naturally more frugal and would like to work towards retiring at 55, is it really fair for him to have to pay half towards running a household that he may deem excessive? The amount he can save for retirement is already less than you, and by keeping up with the Jones's you would make his goal unachievable in order to sustain a lifestyle only you want.

On the other hand, if you are aspiring to retire early and are frugal by nature, and he were driving the lifestyle inflation, I'd argue that he should put his money where his aspirations are and pay for the nice things he wants - perhaps even more than 50%.

If your goals are aligned and you want similar lifestyles things get a lot easier. It doesn't matter who pays what, because you're aspiring to retire together, and both of you are equally bought into the cost of your life. Whether you combine finances or not (we haven't) is irrelevant, because you're a team working together towards a common goal. If you don't combine finances, then perhaps a proportional contribution to the running expenses would be helpful, as he would have the same proportion of his earnings as you have of yours to spend as he wishes or direct into his investments. I'd only bother with this is the wage disparity were high though, for example if my wife goes on maternity leave.
  • fatrab
    edited 7 March 2018 at 3:13PM
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    So while your wife is living off maternity pay you still expect her to stump up for half the bills? When I was on maternity leave I got something like £120 a week, which wouldn't have come close to covering half the bills. I'm glad that my husband was more reasonable than you.
    You clearly didn't read my reply properly.

fatrab wrote: »
    I'm currently paying all the bills while her earnings are reduced. When she starts earning she'll start contributing again.

• Hol55
    Hol55 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 3:16PM
    Options
    As a matter of principle I don't think the simple fact that you earn more means you're obliged to pay in more. A 50/50 split is a perfectly fair way to go about things when both of you are earning a full time wage. You do then need to budget to what the lower earner can afford - so higher earner doesn't get to insist on more expensive packages etc unless they are willing to pay in more - but it's a pretty clean way to run things.

But then so long as both of you are happy and agreed on it, then any split is fair. There's no single way to handle finances in a relationship and people should do whatever best suits them and their partner. (And life can always throw up circumstances like illness etc where one of you has to pay in more). it's far more important that both of you communicate about and are agreed on your approach than that you subscribe to some set idea about what should or shouldn't be done.
  • Andu
    Andu Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    We split 50/50 but whilst one of us was part-time to look after the kids, the other would 'pay' them a percentage of their salary (a bit like paying for childcare I guess although of course it's not like that in a relationship), and then it's still 50/50 from each 'salary'. If one was made redundant or ill we would do the same thing.
  • Bristow
    Bristow Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    When we got married, in 1974, we agreed we would have a joint bank account and our money. For the first 20 years of our married life, he earned more than I did. For the next 20 years, I earned more than he did. And so what - it is our money.

If you have been together for 8 years, commit to each other and get married. If you don't want to marry just agree that you will share everything and whatever you have is shared jointly.

If you don't feel confident enough to do this, then split as you clearly don't have any confidence in your partner.
  • Andu
    Andu Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    "If you don't feel confident enough to do this, then split as you clearly don't have any confidence in your partner."

What does it have to do with confidence? Aren't two partners allowed to have different ideas about money? Shouldn't they be allowed to make their own decisions about money? Do you do everything together 100% of the time?
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If no children involved and to the larger extent finances are being kept separate, then IMO it should be 50/50 for bills and joint activities such as days out or holidays. You're both choosing to live that lifestyle and should contribute equally.

More of a moral dilemma if you're jointly saving up for something which will further the relationship (house deposit, wedding etc), because that's a step towards the merging of finances, and there are in my opinion good arguments for either proportionate or equal contributions in those cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure