Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017.

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would anyone (using Motability or not) NEED a car over 170bhp in any case ?
    The idea of Motability is to help those with difficulty in getting around - stay mobile
    Not to allow them to do a "Jeremy Clarkson" and race to the south of France in record time ......
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Why would anyone (using Motability or not) NEED a car over 170bhp in any case ?
    The idea of Motability is to help those with difficulty in getting around - stay mobile
    Not to allow them to do a "Jeremy Clarkson" and race to the south of France in record time ......

Maybe it's called freedom of choice.!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    I would dispute the words fantastic and struggle. There are plenty of leasing deals of less than £175 a month and there is usually an option of a maintenance package of less than £30 a month.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/car-leasing-guide/maintenance-packages.php

An example chosen at random using the What Car search with a Canterbury post code:- for a Ford Fiesta Hatchback 1.0 EcoBoost 125 ST-Line Navigation 5dr there are deals typically of £500 down payment and 35 payments of less than £170 a month.

So including a maintenance contract that would be less than £200 a month plus insurance. Insurance would depend on your no claims bonus.

Yes Motability is less complicated to arrange than those leasing deals that are available to the able bodied but the financial advantage of using Motability for the Fiesta is not that great ( and with some cars not at all) and the able bodied do have the bonus of good health and no disability.

Totally agree as per my previous posts more often than not private leasing is cheaper than Motability.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    I would dispute the words fantastic and struggle. There are plenty of leasing deals of less than £175 a month and there is usually an option of a maintenance package of less than £30 a month.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/car-leasing-guide/maintenance-packages.php

An example chosen at random using the What Car search with a Canterbury post code:- for a Ford Fiesta Hatchback 1.0 EcoBoost 125 ST-Line Navigation 5dr there are deals typically of £500 down payment and 35 payments of less than £170 a month.

So including a maintenance contract that would be less than £200 a month plus insurance. Insurance would depend on your no claims bonus.

Yes Motability is less complicated to arrange than those leasing deals that are available to the able bodied but the financial advantage of using Motability for the Fiesta is not that great ( and with some cars not at all) and the able bodied do have the bonus of good health and no disability.

As I said on another thread, a major difference is that with Motability you don't have to pay for any damage when the lease finishes, a bonus that could be worth thousands. Also, is there any maximum mileage with Motability?
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    As I said on another thread, a major difference is that with Motability you don't have to pay for any damage when the lease finishes, a bonus that could be worth thousands. Also, is there any maximum mileage with Motability?

its only minor damage that gets excluded anything else is just like a private car where you use your insurance and pay the excess or pay for it out of your own pocket,so where you get your worth thousands from is extremely naive tbh

And given your comment I would hate to think of the condition your car is in when you come to (exchange/trade it in )to make a remark like that.

Here's another you can pick at now the annual mileage allowance is 20k meaning that the total allowance over three years is 60k
  • TheNickster
    TheNickster Posts: 4,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »

Ok if you must nit pick.

Damage is covered by insurance for the able bodied/non-disabled whereas Motability will pay (I think) from £0 to £400 if the car depending on the condition when returned. If a motability car driver is prone to damaging a car then Motability will refuse a new lease.

Motability mileage limit is 60,000 miles over 3 years then 5p a mile. I believe average mileage for UK drivers is about 8000 miles a year. Depending on mileage covered and the leasing deal then I concede that would be a financial disadvantage for the able-bodied driving more than the average annual mileage over the disabled. Disabled drivers are likely to have a higher mileage than the able bodied.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28546589
    Do not be fooled into believing that this society cannot be made fairer because hard work isn't necessarily all it takes.
    There are those on MSE DT who know the price of everything but the value of little.
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    Here's another private leasing deal that blows the Motability scheme right out of the water for all you disbelievers......

Infiniti Q30 1.5d SE Lease £147.34 pm 24 months 8000miles pa Total £4,618.00 - Nationwide Vehicle Contracts

Looks a good spec, 68.9mpg, 18" 5 double spoke light alloy wheels

Choose 24 months
    Initial Rental £884.04
    Processing Fee: £198.00
    24 x 147.34 = £3536
    Total for 2 years £4,618

Motability costs are for the same term.....£6,474
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same limited mileage? How about 12,000-15,000 miles?
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    Total for 2 years £4,618

Insurance? It's only low if you live in a quiet area, have years of NCB, etc.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    Insurance? It's only low if you live in a quiet area, have years of NCB, etc.

I wonder what's going to be the next excuse some people.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport