Ugg Boots from £62 delivered

Options

Comments

• gingababe
    gingababe Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lisa_x wrote: »
    My husband ordered some tools from USA and Fedex delivered them. No mention of customs until 2 weeks later when we got a bill from Fedex for £80. I rang them (as I wasn't impressed :eek: ) and really didn't have an option. It had to be paid.

I have had parcels sent to me, & have been opened by customs. But as they were birthday gifts, there were no charges. I thought(and maybe I am wrong all the time my hubbie says) that they have to have a custom sticker on to get charged...

Thanks

Ginga:confused:
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    cymrugirl wrote: »
    Would anybody know what a women's UK 3 is equivalent to in children's sizing? Was looking to purchase some sheepskin boots for the mother in law but since they don't seem to make them smaller than a 4 or 5, was wondering if anyone would know what a 3 might be equivalent to? Thanks!

I've had the same problem. Most of the size 3's are sold out everywhere as people have been buying kids instead of ladies and I have been struggling big time to get a pair. I have now bought a pair of ladies 5's which are UK 3's but I am going to see how they fit. If you look for a size chart you can measure your feet first. I think these are going to be too big as I am usually a kids 3, not a ladies, but I guess I'll find out when they arrive. I'll let you know. I bought in the UK in the end in case they needed to go back.
  • cymrugirl
    cymrugirl Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    The limit on gifts is £37 I think and normal goods is £17. Customs won't always open it...it's luck if they don't. And I think all goods regardless if it's a gift have to have customs declaration on it.
  • MichMich wrote: »
    I'm confused...can anyone tell me whether the tall sand Uggs from AD are genuine or not???

Thanks
    Hmm, it seems that people are happy with the chocolate ones made in china - not sure about the other colours except my black ones are fake and I still haven't heard back from AD after I complained ... :mad:
    I had a choc pair arrive from Hartings yesterday :j which are fab and only cost £5 more than the AD ones, which are pants!
    No one as far as I can see has had any probs with Hartings so if they have your size I'd be tempted to order from them for the sake of a fiver. Good luck!
    :hello:Hello!
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    About customs charges.

To be honest, I think customs are really cracking down on what people can get away with. It used to be that kids were VAT free but they are now charging VAT and Duty on kids boots imported. I called the VAT Office and asked them and they actually asked me 'what kind of boots' and I said UGGs and they said it was 17% duty plus the VAT. I questioned that they were infants boots but they were quite firm and said no, vat and duty was to be added. Does anyone know if they have changed their policies over the last few weeks/months at all?

Not being funny but I bet they are following this thread with real interest and they are seeing where we are all having them sent from overseas and are now estimating the costs of the packages if nothing is noted on the form. It does say the importer is liable as well so it can come back on YOU if the form is filled in wrong. I know someone else said they have bigger fish to fry but I think you are wrong, the Government will want their money at all costs and if they think we are avoiding paying it will try and get it anyway where they can and this is how they are doing it.

They do also charge the VAT and Duty on the postage costs (I asked this as well) so if you pay $60 but the person shipping only pays $20 you lose out there as well. It is easy for them to look at the package and check on the internet from the company that you have bought from how much they charge - the sizes and shapes of the boxes are probably a dead giveaway if so many people are buying them. In fact, I bet they have a list of what company charges what and how much their shipping is to add the charge on. I would guess that the days of getting away with the customs charge is going to be gone now purely because everyone has been talking about it and saying they did not get charged. While sites like this a great in showing us the bargains they also tell the HMRC that parcels are being marked as gifts when if sold in the UK they would get around £30 in the VAT, they are not going to be getting this if we buy overseas.

The other thing is that they do not make it viable to shop over here. One company selling in the US and UK has them on the US site for $160 and the UK site for £160. Even if they added the VAT and import duties it would not make them this price so it is still cheaper for us to buy from overseas.
  • MichMich_3
    Options
    Thanks for that, just been on their website and they look like a good place to buy.

Only trouble is I can't seem to get hold of AD to cancel my order and don't want to end up with two pairs?!

Arghhhh!!
  • Tori0506
    Options
    Hi Everyone -
    For those who thought you wouldn't get charged import duty and VAT when ordering from REI -I have just received a bill for £37.04 that I have to pay to parcelforce or else they will not deliver the boots. They're obviously on the ball with it being the run up to Christmas - they are still cheaper than buying over here though (as long as they are real!!!!!)
  • caroline234
    Options
    By the way, I was at Costco last week and they had short uggs for about £100 (can't remember the exact amount - it was £80 something plus VAT).
  • angelofthesouth
    Options
    After much military precision planning and studying, I ordered a tall pair of Chocolate Uggs from REI.com and have just got a letter from Parcelforce charging £15.27 VAT and £13.50 Parcelforce clearance fee....£28.77 in total, but have already paid it online as I want my boots! Ordered them 2 weeks ago, and hopefully will be on my feet tomorrow, woopwoop!
    Member of bad mothers club, not sure of the number!
  • emmilou
    emmilou Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    I've got my boots. I paid the money and I no longer care that I had to because my boots are on and everything is alright in the world :D
    we took the chance and hey we got caught out but still got bargains and lurvely boots
    They are stunning by the way, go for it people :T
    • Make 2023 in 2023 # £00/2023
    • Mortgage free Aug 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills