PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 September 2017 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Wow that was great. Migraines are awful so if you can spot the signs and fend them off with a few simple tricks that's fantastic. When I feel one coming I drink loads of water and get out in the fresh air. It seems to help.

I have had some IBS and GERD issues this week so have upped my water intake. If nothing else it dilutes the stomach acid and helps with GERD. Also trying to eat more alkaline foods. So lots of healthy green stuff and loads of colourful fruits and veggie.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I have had some IBS and GERD issues this week so have upped my water intake. If nothing else it dilutes the stomach acid and helps with GERD. Also trying to eat more alkaline foods. So lots of healthy green stuff and loads of colourful fruits and veggie.

Oh, I don't suffer from those issues, but I think a lot of fibro people do have IBS problems. Sounds like a good idea to try and eat more good stuff to combat it.

I was just reading about the anti-inflammatory diet. I had ginger tea and porridge with fruit for breakfast and I was just looking up what I should have for lunch. Garlic is meant to be anti-inflammatory, but I'm getting my hair cut this afternoon and thought the hairdresser might not appreciate that.:D I feel like having a salad as the weather is so nice here today.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please do NOT take this as "advice" of the medical variety, it's just my own experience.
    Mr LW bought me one of there gadgets https://www.novasonic-therapy.co.uk/index.php and I find it very helpful, in conjunction with my morphine; Mr LW gives my frozen shoulder a five-minute treatment every morning, and I find I have more movement in a shorter space of time than on the occasional days he forgets or we don't have time. It also helps the paraesthesia (sp?) I get in my hands and feet, and alleviates the worst of the pain in the knee I damaged in a car crash in 1990.

Polly I'll try and remember to have a look at that Scandi Christmas book when I get chance. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    LW That looks interesting - thanks for the link.

Physios use all sorts of gizmos and I seem to notice that more are coming onto the market for non professionals to use at home.

My view is anything to help us, to reduce pain and keep us more supple and mobile.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Again, NOT medical advice, just saying what works best for me....
    If I can "catch" a migraine before it properly develops, ie as soon as I see the first of the "little orange snakes" that constitute the aura I get, I find this stuff, on the temples helps. https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Flower-Oil-Health-Beauty/dp/B00DZ8RO7G/ref=sr_1_1_a_it/262-3023307-3046363?ie=UTF8&qid=1506103527&sr=8-1&keywords=white+flowers+oil
    I used to be able to get it locally, but the shop has closed down (owner retired) so the last bottle I bought via the Bay of E from some place in Hong Kong, for £5. A bottle lasts a-g-e-s as you only need a tiny bit.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Again not medical advice but a tip I was given to ward off migraine associated vertigo (without headache) by my physio was when I started to feel it coming on ( I don't get a headache but feel "uneasy") was to pop a heat pad around my neck, rotate my neck gently and if I'm about to through up chew chewing gum. It does seem to help if I get it early enough though not sure if it would be of any use for migraine headaches.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PS- I'm another Hygge fan here, my simple "Hygge" pleasure is eating from a deep white bowl when it's miserable outside or I'm feeling yuk. It always makes me feel comforted.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    The heat pad works by relaxing the muscles in the nape of the neck. When they tighten up they cause headaches. I love my heat pad. :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Ooh yeah. I've discovered bowl eating too. Love it. So comforting and of course right on trend, dahhhlings. All the fashionable restaurants serve food in bowls. :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Well on Thursday I had a steroid Injection into my right knee. As well as all my other ailments I have arthritis and in May I damaged my meniscus. I do need knee surgery but am trying to hold off for a while.

Anyway I thought I'd try an injection. Well I feel amazing!!! the injection targeted my knee of course but as the cortisone is now coursing through my body my left knee also feels better and my fibro has calmed down.

The only downside is that the relief is only going to be temporary:o

However I have decided I am going to use this window to try and get fitter and more mobile, so exercise such as walking, yoga and swimming, maybe a bit of resistance training to build up some much needed muscle strength and dancing for some cardio. Hopefully start shifting some weight.

I am seeing a Physio on Monday to start work on my knees and I have a full body massage booked for Wednesday.

Then the following week I'm off on my holiday for a mini cruise to the sun. They have a gym on board ship and they also run yoga classes every day. So hopefully I can join in and work on my plan.

I'm fighting back!!! - slowly but surely. Hoping to postpone the knee surgery for as long as possible. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure