PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ms_night_ryder
    ms_night_ryder Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2011 at 10:44PM
    Options
    I am in such a bad mood! I had got plenty of stuff in food wise but DD1 (20) flatly refused to eat anything that I had saying it was all rank, which is rich given that she doesn't like anything hm but would eat rubbish all day..

Anyway DD2 and I had leftover hm cottage pie and beans and DD1 went on and on and on and on about not having anything nice - not even anything for sandwiches as we only had wholemeal bread. I can't describe how stressful it was and in the end I gave in and went to the little Tesco round the corner and bought crisps, crusty bread rolls, butter, a quiche, a tin of tuna, bottle of Pepsi max and an Aunt Bessies Apple pie to make her tea. It cost me £9 and I could cry because I now only have about £4 left to last until the weekend. I know I should have ignored her but sometimes it is so hard when she goes on the way she does. She really resents that I don't have the money I used to (got divorced and made redundant a couple years ago from well paid job and have worked self employed on much lower pay since the recession/credit crunch) and is constantly going on about how much money her friend's parents give them.

Anyway sorry to rant on but I don't have anyone else to tell and I feel really upset. Off to update signature...

Please don't be upset? can i ask why said 20 year old daughter doesnt have a job? i am 29 now eek and at 17 i had a job, 18 i had moved out and starting fending for myself, doesnt DD1 think that instead of comparing herself to others, if she got a job then she could have ALL the lovely things she desired? including all you can eat junk food, i know as her mum you prob didnt want to see her upset i understand that is prob still your baby, but sometimes a bit of tough love is needed.

Hopefully you can sort your budget out and make it last the week, don't get too stressed!

Forgot to add, spent 4.90, went to tessies to get the b1g2f crisps ended up getting some ross quarter pounders for 69p and half price yogurt carte dor, oh also i got a £9 lamb rack :) but i was told to buy this as part of an ms, so not only will they reimburse me, but i got paid a £5 for the privaledge, cant wait to eatr that expensive rack, should do me for 2 meals, it is quite tiny for the money, so hoping the quality is a+
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Oh RS poor you! I know where you are coming from as my eldest DD did this too but hers is "health foods". Ive had to harden myself and state that if they want "special foods" and what I provide isn't good enough then they can go out and buy it!(from their own funds). If your DD is just craving junk food then take the moral high ground and say you refuse to buy it.at 20 yrs of age I doubt she will starve. I know-easier said than done! My youngest often says(when she wants her own way)"you know you love me............." and when I say NO i've said "You know I love you...............that's why I am saying no!"
    I made the Sheperdless pie last night and we had it today-I did add a few bits to the recipe and it was all eaten up except for the one extra serving. I added some mushrooms red peppers, shepherds pie mix,chilli and 2 beef oxos and one veg stock cube, half a pack of dried tomato soup and a couple of handfuls of dried soya mince plus extra water. I didnt use parsnips as hubby hates them and I didnt use marmite. OK so I sort of rewrote it but the essence of the recipe was the same!
    I went to Waitrose to get prescriptions and spent £19 on reduced food and offers. They have mince pies on offer at £1.49 per box bogof so 12 pies total for £1.49. I actualy didnt need anything of course but just had to have a wander around looking for bargains!
    Now I must sort out tomorrows menu to stop people "grabbing" snacks!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • SiannieLaz
    Options
    Hi All,
    Could you please put me down for £100 for the month, it's just me so hopefully I'll come in under, but I thought i'd give myself a bit of leeway as it's my first month.
    Ta lots
    SiannieLaz

Debt as at Feb 14: £2272.40
    DFW Nerd no. 1024
    June Overhaul #26
  • ChasingButterflies
    Options

Anyway sorry to rant on but I don't have anyone else to tell and I feel really upset.

Sending hugs and a slice of something comforting x
  • rej-c
    rej-c Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    £2.40 spent across Mr T and Mr S today - water, veggies [including loads of leeks that I now have to decide how to use up, or clear a little space in the freezer to stash them away]; oh, and yet more of the 22p packs of wholemeal pasta from Mr T. I can't seem to stop buying them - even have a little stash growing in a desk drawer at work! :o

Recovering Spendaholic - [feel free to ignore me, but I couldn't help but comment]

I'm sorry you've had such an aggravating time of it today, and obviously, how you run your home and interact with your family is entirely your own business, but I can honestly say that if, at the age of 20 [did I read that right?!], I'd tried pulling anything like that with my mum, I'd have been told in no uncertain terms that I could like or lump what's available; and if I didn't like it, I could buy [and cook] for myself in future.

Something would've probably been thrown in the general direction of my head, and I'd have been called a bl**dy ungrateful so-and-so, too :rotfl:

It's particularly difficult when those we love seem to take great delight in baiting us, but sometimes it's the best thing - for both us and them - to 'rise above it', whether by ignoring it or simply telling them to listen to themselves and have a think about what they're saying and the effect it's having on others.

You're doing your best and providing the best food you can; you should be proud of yourself.
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • ellanutella
    Options
    I am in such a bad mood! I had got plenty of stuff in food wise but DD1 (20) flatly refused to eat anything that I had saying it was all rank, which is rich given that she doesn't like anything hm but would eat rubbish all day..

Anyway sorry to rant on but I don't have anyone else to tell and I feel really upset. Off to update signature...

Hope I am not being rude but being 22 myself I think your daughter is old enough to pay for any junk food cravings herself! Don't let her upset you, instead tell her she can buy and cook her own food from now on if yours is so unappealing! I'm sure she'll stop complaining then :)

Up to £76.something now, just done a Mr T shop for £70 instead of £100. Sometimes we end up putting random stuff on there because we have the money left in our budget, not this time, just got what we actually need. Am doing a meal plan now, unfortunately am not too creative but fingers crossed.
    Times is 'ard.
  • rej-c
    rej-c Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Waitrose ... have mince pies on offer at £1.49 per box bogof so 12 pies total for £1.49.

I got some of those the other morning to take into work, but didn't spot them [or the offer] on the shelves - only in the reduced bins at the aisle-end. I picked up 2, reduced to just under half price with 3 days to BB date, and at the checkout, the full-price bogof worked - so Waitrose paid me 12p to take two boxes of mince pies away! :D
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Found a new oriental shop near me to-day and spent €20odd on stuff, they have a great stock and felt very virtuous that I didn't spend more, but really need to be careful this month after last month's fiasco!

RS...hugs to you

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    rej-c wrote: »
    I got some of those the other morning to take into work, but didn't spot them [or the offer] on the shelves - only in the reduced bins at the aisle-end. I picked up 2, reduced to just under half price with 3 days to BB date, and at the checkout, the full-price bogof worked - so Waitrose paid me 12p to take two boxes of mince pies away! :D

You lucky devil! ;)Funny-I was just talking to someone else who said something about reduced ones but I know there were none when I went in as Id scoured avery aisle! Now I am proud to say that the 3 packs of reduced sarnies I nearly bought I took out out the trolley a minute later and returned to the shelf reminding myself we have bread ham and cheese at home! They were only aboyt 60p per pack but its another couple of quid needlessly spent! My lot seem to think shop bought sarnies are the best treats ever! Thats mad I know. I bought more green lentils and some semolina today and I intend to make semolina pudding tonight for tomorrow and Im about to mix up the ingreadients for home made veggy burgers for tomorrow. Ive actually been making real home made chips the last couple of weeks(all of twice)and WOW! Ive missed the real thing!:p
    So tomorrow its homemade chips I "think"with home made veggy burgers. Ive got a sack of spuds-25kg in the garage so they will last ages! Also going to put on BM to make pizza dough-thats a good way of using up "bits" from the fridge. Ive got a nice pack of salami so I will add some of that to them and either tomorrows tea or Thursdays lunch-not sure yet. right-I am off to clean up the kitchen now as its a total mess but I like to be alone to clean up-I hate interference!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • prepareathome
    Options
    I forgot about my wilkos buys which was another 80p well spent £10.92 in there but not counting the 4 pillows - cheap ones I want for the stuffing, or the lovely reduced tupperware type box for my cheese- the 80p was for a packet of lockets 4 packets alcohol free wipes, fabric tape - to hold on dressings, pack of 3 no wash antibacterial hand gel and something else and a bandage - they blue ones that stick to themselves no pins needed - I use them to hold a dressing in place on the dogs but good for humans as well. Each was 10p, I asked if they were near dates and was told no its just when they only have a few items left out of any batch they just sell the off - this shelf was right at back of store, its only as pillows were down there I noticed it. So a few more supplies in medical kit for less than any item on its own and lockets date is dec 2012 - so that brings total so far to £10.80 will update my sig.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport