PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• laloopi
    laloopi Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Please put me down for £250 for November. We're already £46.40 down thanks to a trip to Mr M's (using the NoTW voucher for £5 off).
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow I can't believe we're twelve pages in by the evening of the 1st! I have been lucky this week because DH brought a load of food home from Explorer Scout Camp (he's the Leader) which included sandwich meat, cheese, coffee, crisps and bread oh and 8 tins of He*nz Soup! So between what I already had in and this gift then I should be able to get by on very little this week. I hope just to need toilet rolls (Can't do without them!) and F&V so will aim for £10 - £15 spend only. I've joined the NSD challenge, I've guessed I can manage 12 so we'll see how it goes! Hope you're all doing well so far, will catch up on the thread tomorrow night which is when everyone except me is out :)
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    No spend days yesterday and today. Altered the meal plan a bit tonight as it was supposed to sausages, mask & beans which I still did for the kids but made a tuna pasta bake for me & OH. It was a bit tastless to be honest but there is still loads left so OH has agreed for us both to have the left overs again tomorrow night instead of the roast chicken I had originally planned. Can't think unfortunately of anything I can do now to umph it up a bit other than serving it with sweetcorn which it wasn't made with.

Typically DS didn't like the quiche that I had bought from the gluten free food fayre which was really annoying because it was really expensive. I nibbled at some of it but unfortunately he had smothered it in ketchup and eggs & ketchup are not a nice combination for me.

I will be glad really when my DD has come to the end of her block of cookery lessons. Every week for the last 8 weeks I have been buying ingredients for her but today's attempt did not go well at all & has had to go in the bin.

Mrs M - I don't seem to be on the list. Can you put me down for £450 again for November please? Thanks very much.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Opps, I don't really know what to call it- it is passed to me from my mum. Shall we call it 'Cheesey Dough' :D - But I am glad you like the sound of it. I fried 3 of them and had it with georgeous salad as a dinner tonight. God it is only 5.30 pm and I already had my dinner:eek:

Couple of more points on this,

*you can freeze it,
    **instead of cheese you can use veggies such as aubourgine mixed with tomoto cubs or you can make it with mince and onions.
    **Please make sure that the shape it flatish, it fries better with that way.

XXX

Thanks, that sounds like a good name to me :D Maybe you could add these notes to your original post?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

Can I join in please?? I would like to try and stick to £120 this month.
    That's for just me and OH - but he eats soooo much (and stays thin - grrrrr) , hopefully we'll manage it!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    triticale, thanks for taking the trouble to list all that :T

I've added the links to the recipe index (I linked to the front page of Jamie Oliver as there are so many good recipes there) and listed the others, including your pizza base, thanks, you're a star! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mswan
    mswan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OMG I am keeping a spending diary, everything I spend is technicaly grocery money, I'm going to have to be very careful for the rest of the month.
    An amazing eye opener that I would recommend although quite shocking.
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 November 2010 at 7:32AM
    Options
    My first spend of the month also. A mere £10.18 but this didn't get me much. Im following SW and really trying to get (back) to target before xmas so Im buying more f&v. So a loaf of bread, some bagels, strawberries/raspberries (2 for £4) :eek:, a pack of mange tout, baby s.corn and some cherry toms eats £10.18 into my budget. Hopefully my well stocked freezers will compensate for the extra f&v spends this month.

as i type this, im eating my m&$ melt in midddle pudd. with lovely vanilla ice cream. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is all I can say. this was meant to be my treat tomorrow but by the time i get home and eat my tea (after weigh in) it will be too late for pudd ! im hoping it won't impede my date with the scales - I have been pretty good the rest of the week. :D

I know some of you are following sw and also doing the GC. - what do you do about all those items of food that are not sw friendly - have been bought and are hiding away in your cupboards/freezers. I thought the best way (especially since I am trying to eat up the contents of my freezer). was to perhaps have "one bad thing" a week. worst offenders at the moment that i can think of are the lamb kebabs and the burgers with sweet chilli sauce in them (both from m&$). ?? what do other sw members think ? its only me that going to eat them - i don't want to give them away ?

I still haven't meal planned. too tired to do tonight but must do soon. will be another visit to the supermarket tomorrow evening and will then try to avoid until the weekend. Some of you have been talking about whether you buy meat from the butchers or the supermarket. I would like to support my local butcher more and the tray of of beef steaks that I bought for £10 (which went in my curry on sat) did for dinner saturday evening with leftovers tonight plus a portion for the freezer. I served up generous portions too so could have gone further...

The rump steak i bought though was disappointing. The packaging was poor - didn't survive the journey home and had to wash my Hessian bag :( it was also quite tough when cooked despite resting :( might stick to the s.market for steak in future.

in other news, agree with other posters that taking out the relevant amount of cash each week is a good plan - will probably go back to having my "grocery purse" it feels so much different when you hand over cold hard cash!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    a NSD today.
    did hm pizzas tonight for tea and afters is halloween muffins that didnt get eaten yesterday:T
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Have just had to pop out and buy milk - £3.06 spent. Milk's so dear!
    Was pretty happy with the fact that our tea was SC turkey leg casserole - mmmmmm, the meat fell off the bone and the smokey bacon I put in really made it tasty!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport