Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 21

New Post Advanced Search

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2010 at 12:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.4K views

Replies

• Have amended my sig to reflect the weekend's spending , been to Mr M coz I had a £5 voucher that expired Saturday. Stocked up on tinned tomatoes, and brisket of beef (cheaper than Mr W by £2 per kg) and pork shoulder joints were on special so grabbed one of those too ! Also bought some xmas alcohol - 1 bottle dark rum :D.
    Went to Mr n*tt* and although I was on the whole very dissapointed with the "offers" I did pick up a packs of 12 j2* with 12 free for £5.78 - so 25p per bottle ;) so put them up for xmas as they are mums and daughters favorite .
    Then went to Mr m&s to find the much talked about white chocolate baileys type drink - reputed to be £2.49 a bottle , they had none and are not getting any either :( , but I did find a reduced free range whole duck for £8 which I was very pleased with :)
    hubby went to mr s and picked up 2 bags of frozen chicken leg portions (for his extra protein fix at work).
    Also went to Ald* on sunday to get cat food , mince beef and some veggies and washing up liquid and bought 2 litres of vodka . vodka was then split between 3 empty bottles/jars, put a vanilla pod (I had 10 in the cupboard and they do mean you use less sugar) in each , then added damsons and sugar to one, strawberries and sugar to another , and butterscotch sweets to the final one - I can't wait till xmas now! :rotfl:
    We resisted the urge to go to the local farmers market this weekend as we need the freezer space for the last whole lamb this friday ! :j
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
  • Hi everyone
    My first grocery challenge. I have no idea how much we spend but I reckon I must spend about 140 a month. So I'm going for a total of 560 this month. I'm going to keep my receipts and try to choose some cheaper brands to try. Also see how many NSV days I can get :)

thanks
    Rache

xx
    November Grocery Challenge £0/£560 NSD - 0
  • ChlorisChloris Forumite
    710 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Updated signature. We have spent a lot of our budget already, but I have included catering DD's birthday party (25 children!), which was Saturday. It has been chaos in this house so I am behind with reading the thread. Hope everyone is fine and dandy.
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so I had my first spend of the month today and I am rather annoyed with myself!! Went for pittas, cheese, pasta shells and milk and spent £10.29 and didnt even get the pasta sad0022.gif

Will update my sig and will try to post more often this month!!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Have updated signature for £10 spent in M&S for their 3 for £10 meat offer & also £8.95 for our R1verford veg box that will be delivered tmw.

So incl some milk prob on Wednesday that shoulc be me done for this wee. - famous last words! :p

Also re: meat I usually buy from M&S or MrM's as they sell only British beef, pork, lamb & chicken, and they tend to have lots of promotions & in the case of Mr M reductions. HTH
  • sveikasveika Forumite
    110 posts
    Wow, such a wonderful forum!

I'm pretty new here and not sure how to start the challenge. Can I just try to put an target of £100 for November?

Heading off to Tesco later this afternoon though...:)
  • edited 1 November 2010 at 3:43PM
    greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 November 2010 at 3:43PM
    Afternoon all! Have updated my signature with this morning's spends in A!d - wraps, f&v, a couple of jars of pasta sauce for DS1 and a pack of pain au chocolate for the weekend.

Freezer is bursting - I have taken some grated courgette, some runner beans, chicken stock and some tomatoes out of it this morning and made soup. Had whoopsied lamb shanks from it yesterday (slow cooked in tomatoes with onion, swede & carrots and some balsamic vinegar and red wine - yum) - need to find space for the leftovers of that and a whoopsied (small) loaf also bought in a!di - but can't!! Argh!!

We were away last week, staying in a lovely apartment in Edinburgh (for about £10/night more than 1 room in a travelodge) for the 6 of us. There were loads of supplies left there by previous tenants - several brands of coffee, 2 brands of filter coffee, 2 types of tea bags, hot choc, spices, oil, vinegar etc - about 18 eggs, 2 chicken breasts (frozen), 2 tubs butter, salad veg, juice, soft drinks, biscuits, ice cream, pizza bases and more (inc all cleaning supplies)!! Needless to say I brought our supplies of tea/ coffee back, along with anything else that we didn't use (I froze a lot of it in foil and brought it all back wrapped together and it stayed frozen) :D:D

ETA: just found my milkandmore order on the bench outside the front door - not sure when it arrived - but it wasn't there at 10.30 (milk is delivered v late here!!) - need to add 4p to my sig for my order: 4 pts milk, 2 sml packs country life spreadable, pack of back bacon and box of jacobs cheese biscuits ~(xmas) Not bad for 4p!! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £596.06/£500 Decluttering: 1925/2020
  • jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Picklepud wrote: »
    Morning

Thanks for adding me to the list!!

I have listed everything in my cupboards and freezer and will be able to make some menu plans which will hopefully cut down on my spend for the month. I seem to have about 6 pints of milk too much any ideas how i can use it up? i have risotto rice and white rice but no pudding rice.....

Thanks

You can freeze milk if you have room.

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    greent wrote: »
    We were away last week, staying in a lovely apartment in Edinburgh (for about £10/night more than 1 room in a travelodge) for the 6 of us. There were loads of supplies left there by previous tenants - several brands of coffee, 2 brands of filter coffee, 2 types of tea bags, hot choc, spices, oil, vinegar etc - about 18 eggs, 2 chicken breasts (frozen), 2 tubs butter, salad veg, juice, soft drinks, biscuits, ice cream, pizza bases and more (inc all cleaning supplies)!! Needless to say I brought our supplies of tea/ coffee back, along with anything else that we didn't use (I froze a lot of it in foil and brought it all back wrapped together and it stayed frozen) :D:D

Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh Greent, did you see me waving?;)

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • My first time joining the challenge (but have been frugal shopping for looooong time) can I go in for 160 for the month - pregnant me, 6.5yr old, 4.5 yr old, 2yr9mth old :) all food and drink.

Already done mthly shop based on monthl meal plan and top-up shops planned. Will post more details when home x
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog