PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon. Just declared for July - over but not by much, so I have high hopes for August (if I can quell the ravenous hoard, that is).

Can I be put down for £280 for a 4-week month 3rd August to 30th August, please.

In case anyone wonders, we're 2 adults and 3 kids, and the budget doesn't include nappies or toiletries.

We do however have a full freezer, and a reasonably well-stocked pantry right now, so with a bit of luck, we might just do it :D
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    !!!!!! - nipped in Mr T's to get my friend a slow cooker using my vouchers and ended up buying a chicken as well :o - well it was only £2.36 for a happier willow farm chicken - will cook it on sunday and use leftovers for my work lunches - yummy.

Suspect this how I keep going over my budget! :rotfl:
  • cardiffmatch
    cardiffmatch Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

I'm new to this thread -

August is a big month for me: I start a new job (much lower salary but much happier job) and my housemate is moving out leaving me home alone from here on in!

Therefore the budget cuts start in earnest. I'm hoping to cut my food spend from 200 to 180 this month and see how I do. I'm also working out exactly how much debt I've got left and will be posting results elsewhere...

Good luck everyone - looking forward to the challenge!

xx
    Debt free as of 01/06/13
    MFW: Mortgage when started: £205,000 Mortgage 21/11/13 £202,608 Offset target 2014: £5088/£12000 Planned payoff date: August 2026 LTV: 86.3% Daily interest: £21.55
  • tinkerbellsmum_2
    Options
    hi all can i join u.
    my shopping bill is terraible once i used to feed my family of 3 (now a family of 4) on 16 pound a week but now its more like a hour a week so really need to get it down.
    there me and my husband and our 2 children nicole 7 who has scvhool meals when shes there and zac 11 months who i have nappies baby food and milk to but for but that can't be more than 15 a week but i still think we spend about 450 a month so thats how much i'm guessing this month for. going shoppin g on thursday off to read what i have to do now
  • little_miss_moneysaver_3
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread!!!

I am going out on a limb and say £80 for August.
    Had big stockpile in July so should only need fresh ingredients to top up. Will also include toiletries and household bits, again shouldn't really need anything in those departments.

LMMS
    :j Baby boy arrived 22nd August 2012 :j
    :jSecond menace arrived safely 13th February 2014
    :j
    Debt Free Wannabee 2015
  • ejbg2001
    ejbg2001 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the grocery challenge, please put me down for a budget of £150.... Tho theres only me (and ocasionally OH) and the cat, I'm starting slow.... lets see how low I can get it now I've de-cluttered my freezer, fridge and store cupboard.
    I have already spent £10.47 as payday is special... £1.52 mocha, £2.15 bacon n mushroom sarnie with the rest of the team and chinese takeaway tonight £6.80. The rest of the month I'm going to be good. I have leftover pasta salad for lunch tomorrow and frozen lamb stew for tea. It's not a non-spend day tho as I will be paying out for my very first passport (at nearly 40... hols always came bottom of my priority list before) and a replacement driving licence (on my to-do list for the last 10 years).
    £139.53/150
    EJBG2001

I'm not complaining, I'm supporting the process of continuous improvement. :p

Stepping off the property ladder for now, may climb back on later.

• lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am so pleased, the stretched mince went down really well, added some tomato puree and garlic puree very taste
    I think if i had been meaner with the portions I could have got........wait for it......24 portions yipee
    I may try that next month just easing the family in this month
    Hope youve all had good days too
    Lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    I've logged on to update my spends for this week, been to Aldi, Asda, Lidl and Iceland, well stocked up so shouldn't need to spend any money until Monday when I think I will pop to Aldi for the new Super 6.:D

Welcome to all the Newbies, you'll love it on here as everyone is so friendly and helpful.;)

Have a good weekend everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    hello hope everyone is well today ... yesterday was my 6th NSD today i spent but it wasn out of my GC but i still spent so not classing it as a NSD ive got a NSD weekend coming up as the weather man says it going to be raining (sing at your own delight :D) so as i dont want to go out in it its a whole weekend of doing NOWT! :rotfl: x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • ejbg2001
    ejbg2001 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooops just noticed my sig.... just updated it to show correctly!
    EJBG2001

I'm not complaining, I'm supporting the process of continuous improvement. :p

Stepping off the property ladder for now, may climb back on later.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure