PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• newmoneysaver_2
    newmoneysaver_2 Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popped into Asda and spent £12.68 but this included more birthday cards (July is a bad month for birthdays - oops so is Aug & Sept!!) Stocked up on fruit corners - still 10 for £2 - and a tiger loaf for 50p. I also got 5 packs of bulbs a pack of lillys for 25p, and 2 mediterian beg packs and two indian veg packs for 60p each - each pack has three different veg/herbs - onions, chillis, peppers, parsley. I'm gonna save these for next year but add them into the GC, I don't include birthday cards.

Oh and my Mum has just popped in with 2 packs of charmin from Somerfield - 1/2 price and 18 eggs from her allotment shop @ £1.80.

Total spent: £15.86
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    Kitty-glad im not the only one getting ready for xmas to be honest ive got most of what i need or its on pre order :rotfl: but then again i only buy for 8 people :rotfl: xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • shezza
    shezza Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Having another caffeine boost, my second lot of muffins and my corned beef pie are in the oven. Thanks Sashanut for the tip on baking the potatoes then scooping out, what a fab idea, so now instead of pie and chips for tea we are having pie and stuffed potato skins, very money saving (and I don't have to wash the pan either :rotfl:)

The weather up here in the North East is starting to brighten up, it was looking very grey earlier, however I do prefer to bake when its dull then I don't feel like I'm missing out on the rare days of sunshine stuck in the kitchen.
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    Wow i love this thread it keeps me going, wish i had found it earlier. Many thanks for the icebun recipe. Tried it out yesterday,they were fantastic the whole family loved them, hubby cooked Twinks hob nobs and they went down a treat too.
    Our first week of the July food challenge it was £110, not to bad really as i had to buy washingpowder etc all the things you need but can't eat lol. So the next three will hopefully be a lot less.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    annelouise wrote: »
    Having a very productive day up to now.

Bleached fridge
    Made Toffee Mallow Bars
    Made Bounty bar/slice/bites
    Made lunch for dd8 ,ds4
    Froze banana and lemon cake
    Checked all bags of onions,lentil,bolognese in freezer

Sat with a camomile tea before I hit that pool.

annelouise

Hi can anyone tell where i can get these recipes , many thanks.

CQ
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    i have come to the conclusion today that i am officially sad and old wayyyyy before my time :o ...last night was sat night...party night :dance: _party_ _party_ :dance: im 34 and i should of been out on the town getting legless :p when in reality what was i actually doing???? i was doing a sweep of all the local supermarkets on a whoopsie hunt :o :rotfl: oh and i actually braved the rain and checked out the coop, 2 different tescos and sainsburys for bargains yest eve. we spent just over £33 and got bags n bags of fruit veg and frozen goodies all reduced right down in price :j for example cucumbers 10p, 4 pack yogs 20p, loads of bagels 10p a pack,free range chicken £2, pork chops 50p,big trays minced beef 80p, 6 boxes of aunt bessies 1/4 lb burgers reduced from £2.90 to 70p. yippeeeeee:D
    i have plenty to now last me until oh gets paid on the 22nd and absolutely loads will be leftover in the freezer for next month. so i have spent £77 so far on 2 adults a 15 year old boy and a rottweiler since the 22nd of last month which isnt bad going even if i do say so myself :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Zend
    Zend Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully a no spend week for me. If I need milk I'll walk up to the local shop, the exercise will do me good;) .
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can anyone tell where i can get these recipes , many thanks.

CQ

Hi CQ :wave:

The links to the recipes for banana & lemon drizzle cake and bounty bites are both on the Recipe Index which you'll find on the first page of this thread. (Or click here )

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I did go and spend the £30, but it didn't enter mu head to buy frozen veg :rolleyes:
    I can't believe I never thought of it (it's like when you give away a piece when playing chess lol)
    I think I'll par boil the cabbage and freeze some of that. Got loads of carrots and onions and some frozen peas.
    Just going to do some sums and amend my total to see what's leaft, I might go spend a couple of quid on frozen veg, it lasts for ages doesn't it - thanks a lot :T

Well done on solving your quandry :beer: I'll add this thread to the grocery challenge to keep all ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    well i just mad MrsM's tortillas, (recipes index page one of this thread) and they are fab! i can't believe they are so easy to make!!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure