Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Longstrider
    Options
    Hi

I will be travelling to Turkey soon. I have a Tandem credit card, but wanted to know if I should take UK currency with me and change in Turkey or use the Tandem card to withdraw cash in Turkey.
  • Spinball
    Spinball Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the post office travel money card any good?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spinball wrote: »
    Is the post office travel money card any good?
    NO. Definitely not, it's a con, cheaper to use your bank card.. See:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76088452#post76088452
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky
    Options
    I was going to take just a few euros for Rome as we won't be there long, so only really need it to pay for the airport transfer. But otherwise I assumed avoiding exchanging money was the cheaper option?? Can anyone please advise?
    Your assumption is correct in general. Just use your cards and take a few cash pounds as backup.
  • eDicky
    Options
    I will be travelling to Turkey soon. I have a Tandem credit card, but wanted to know if I should take UK currency with me and change in Turkey or use the Tandem card to withdraw cash in Turkey.
    Just use your cards and take a few cash pounds as backup.
  • theglobetrottergp
    Options
    I love my easy FX currency card, Its awesome
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love my easy FX currency card, Its awesome
    Why?
    What part of using it is easier than MSE's recommended cards for spending overseas?
    Their card costs page was not easy reading for me I'm afraid.
  • cherokee
    Options
    Hi

Travelling to Budapest for 4 days, thought it was euro, duh, but now know its the Florint. Best way to spend money out there? I have seen a couple of suggestions to buy currency out there, but am struggling to see how this would work. Anyone been recently and could make any suggestions?

thanks
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cherokee wrote: »
    Hi

Travelling to Budapest for 4 days, thought it was euro, duh, but now know its the Florint. Best way to spend money out there? I have seen a couple of suggestions to buy currency out there, but am struggling to see how this would work. Anyone been recently and could make any suggestions?

thanks

Went June 2018. Used a fee free credit card for much of the spending and fee-free debit card for withdrawals from cash machines for the rest. Probably about 50:50 spend credit card:cash. Probably could have put far more on a card than cash as cards were widely accepted.

Edit: Hungarian Forint!
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    cherokee wrote: »
    Hi

thanks

Pop into your closest Metro bank and pick up a debit card on the spot; https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/store-locator/
    *Where can I use my card for free in Europe?

When we refer to Europe we regard the countries which are part of the Single European Payments Area (SEPA).

19 EU Euro countries - Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
    8 EU non-Euro countries - Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden
    2 non-EU, Euro countries – Monaco, San Marino
    4 non-EU, non-Euro countries - Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport