Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would the OP be ill? it's her daughter that's not eating.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Why would the OP be ill? it's her daughter that's not eating.

Where did anyone say that?
  • UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some very, very interesting replies and I will do my best to reply to as many as I can when I get back from going with my daughter to get her medication,
    Which is a stressful journey in itself.

And for those thinking this is made up? I wouldn't wish any of what is going on with her on anyone and the help or should I say complete lack of from mental health is appalling just like the rest of the nhs.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It sounds very difficult OP and it is only natural to get angry when things don't go right for your daughter as understandably you want everything to go as she want it and you will do everything you can to make this happen.

However complaints are the wrong way to go in this situation. I think you should make an appointment with the manager of the store apologise for what has happened in the past, explain about your daughters illness/needs and ask if they are willing to help. Work with them and be reasonable (like others I don't think wiping food before it is purchased is acceptable but it can be done in the store after it has been paid for) you need to ask the store what they can accommodate what they can't.
    Then rather than writing to head office with complaints, write at how accommodating and helpful the store are, this will get you much further with them than a complaint.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    UN17ED wrote: »
    and the help or should I say complete lack of from mental health is appalling just like the rest of the nhs.

Yea, this is the point where you lost ALL sympathy from me.

If you find the NHS and mental health support "appalling" then GO AND PAY FOR PRIVATE TREATMENT.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

If you find the NHS and mental health support "appalling" then GO AND PAY FOR PRIVATE TREATMENT.

No, the answer is not to vote Tory!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Some very, very interesting replies and I will do my best to reply to as many as I can when I get back from going with my daughter to get her medication,

And for those thinking this is made up? I wouldn't wish any of what is going on with her on anyone and the help or should I say complete lack of from mental health is appalling just like the rest of the nhs.

It’s very late to just now be heading out to get meds, I presume you go to a supermarket pharmacy? Is this also something that is a affected by your daughter’s OCD? If so it could be another disaster waiting to happen!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options

The rest of the NHS is fantastic, in my experience. Where I live the mental health side is a different trust so I really see the difference.

I have to say, the physical side is far more sensitive to my mental health needs than the mental health trust is to my physical health problems.

Mental health services are almost non existent, especially compared to the physical services.
    It’s very late to just now be heading out to get meds, I presume you go to a supermarket pharmacy? Is this also something that is a affected by your daughter’s OCD? If so it could be another disaster waiting to happen!

The chemist I use is open until 10pm on weeknights. It's not a supermarket one (I think the one in the nearest Tesco closes at 9pm). I prefer to go late at night because it's quieter.

I agree that it would be best for the OP's daughter to have a 'back-up' supermarket, but that might not be possible for a pharmacy. I have to have a nominated pharmacy if I want to use online ordering services, I'm not sure if it's possible to change regularly.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How has your daughter been managing with no food/not eating?

I'm going to suggest, very respectfully, that you've become somewhat used to your Daughter's OCD, and enable it, and as a result became angry/scared when the store (quite reasonably) said enough is enough.

I agree with a previous poster that it's not disability discrimination because your daughter's needs go far beyond the store making reasonable adjustments.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Mental health services in this country are appalling. You're criticising the OP for stating a fact. If someone had a rant because they couldn't access cancer services would you lose all sympathy and tell them to go private?

Your frustration should be aimed at Jeremy Hunt and the government that are doing their best to decimate the NHS, not people trying to access much needed help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure