Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Masar
    Masar Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi all
    Although I have been using the site for a while this is my first post and am hoping someone can help.
    I am currently trying to reclaim bank charges and pip I have just got a response from santander re bank charges saying
    "You have just asked for copies of your bank statements which we assume is to enable you to reconcile your bank charges"
    Does this mean they are acknowledging excessive bank charges and I may get a refund or is this just a standard response?
    Thanks for your help
    Masar
  • emmaking1987
    emmaking1987 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Last thursday i sent off a letter asking Barclays for all transactions i've made since opening the account. They've only gone back as far as 2007 but its a start. All the codes and figures are a little confusing so can anyone tell me what code or how obvious it will appear when i find a bank charge. Thanks.
  • Good_£_Intentions_Matt
    Options
    I have waited about 16 mths now for the ombudsman to resolve my case with A&L/Santander. They took about £800 in bank charges. I claimed under hardship criteria. I now have a job, but only temp. Shall I continue to wait or also put court claim in.

Also got them now sending debt collector letters threatening CCJ after earlier defaulting me. Can I / should I start to also put claim in with court on same claim form/court website adding charges for ruining my credit rating by defaulting me etc?

Thanks.

Matt
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On what grounds are you claiming they are illegal? The argument that they are unfair was termed invalid by the high court, you can look at the new argument on the guide but be aware that there has been no success with this yet before you start paying out court costs. Under the same criteria you would need to prove that the charges were illegal before you could claim that they were wrong to default you. Have you chased up with the FOS? I'm sure they have timescales in place.
  • ally1d
    ally1d Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, currently trying to reclaim my charges from natwest via hardship route, sent in my income/expenditure form and recieved letter back to call them. they have suggested that i take on a financial assisstance plan of theres which will reduce payments on loan i hold with them for now but is only a short term scheme (and doesn't get me my money back) my existing loan is about the same as i feel i am owed in charges. does thi seem that they accept that i am in financial hardship and just a ploy to delay me? and should i take it further to the ombudsman? i am not currently in arrears on natwest loan..... but capital one cc and santander current account are slipping out of my control

thanks in advance.....
  • Rae115
    Rae115 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Di and everyone else - i am very confused today.
    Ive had some docs (SAR) so going through to calculate these bank charges. (i know they are on the wrong thread but wont allow me to post on the correct one - bank charges)
    now it states:
    total charges debited 31.5.08 £28.00
    total paid / unpaid charges debited this month £140.00
    total pre notified debit interest applied on the 31.5.08 - £2.50

QUESTION
    Which one am i supposed to be claiming back the 28 / 140 / 250 or all
    as it also states above all that all charges in this colum work out to be the 140+28+2.50

Hence my confusion - or is it just me
    Rae
  • ally1d
    Options
    hi buddy i think that you can probably claim for the £140, not the £2.50 as this is interest debited, you need to check your statements as they should say why it was charged eg DD paid, paid referrel fee etc

good luck! and dont give up!!
  • Rae115
    Rae115 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    ally1d wrote: »
    hi buddy i think that you can probably claim for the £140, not the £2.50 as this is interest debited, you need to check your statements as they should say why it was charged eg DD paid, paid referrel fee etc

good luck! and dont give up!!
    140 is for payment that didnt go through and they paid so £30.00 a piece the the £28.00 is for the months charges
  • ally1d
    Options
    yep you can try and claim them all!:T
  • ally1d
    Options
    ally1d wrote: »
    Hi all, currently trying to reclaim my charges from natwest via hardship route, sent in my income/expenditure form and recieved letter back to call them. they have suggested that i take on a financial assisstance plan of theres which will reduce payments on loan i hold with them for now but is only a short term scheme (and doesn't get me my money back) my existing loan is about the same as i feel i am owed in charges. does thi seem that they accept that i am in financial hardship and just a ploy to delay me? and should i take it further to the ombudsman? i am not currently in arrears on natwest loan..... but capital one cc and santander current account are slipping out of my control

thanks in advance.....

does anybody have any experience of this
    pleeeeeeaassse!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family