Warm Front Grant saved me a fortune!

Options
Through this site and applying for a Warm Front Grant I am getting my boiler repaired (plumber quoted £230 just for the part!), draughtproofing, gas vent (required in cupboard where the boiler is) and have been sent a pack of 12 energy saving lightbulbs.

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We got a new boiler in Feb it cost around £1500 plus labour so they told me. They said to me they replace boilers if they are around 8 years of ages and providing your on a low income, or on certain state benefits you may be entitled to a grant for heating, loft installation, wall insulation.
  • jillski_2
    jillski_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    My boiler wasn't old enough to replace - it needed a new circuit board. Had hoped to get some extra radiators put in but they only do a max of 5 rads and only when they replace a boiler.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do I try to apply for one of those? My boiler is 17 years old and I've been worrying in case it breaks down on me. Does it matter who you have your gas and electric from?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Poppycat
    Options
    Hi Lady you can claim these if you ring Eaga partership

http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants/warm_front.htm

If you own your home, or rent it from a private landlord, you may be able to claim a grant of up to £2700 under the Warm Front Scheme.

The following people may be able to claim a grant under Warm Front:

1.Householders aged 60 or over and are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
    • Pension Credit
    OR
    2. Householders who (a) have a child under 16, or (b) are pregnant and have been given maternity certificate MAT B1 in relation to the pregnancy concerned, and are also in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
    OR
    3. Householders in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Working Tax Credit with income of less than £15, 050 and which must include a disability element
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Child Tax Credit with an income of less than £15, 050
    • Housing Benefit + Disability Premium
    • Income Support + Disability Premium
    • Council Tax + Disability Premium
    • War Disablement Pension (+ Constant Attendance Allowance or Mobility Supplement)
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit + Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Attendance Allowance

Contact us

http://www.eaga.co.uk/ContactUs/index.html
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I have just has Eaga round today to inpsetc the work as a 3rd party do the installation. The chap said that the boiler is the bets on the market, his words "if it was a car it would be a Rolls Royce". It has a wireless timer too.
  • jillski_2
    jillski_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_K wrote:
    How do I try to apply for one of those? My boiler is 17 years old and I've been worrying in case it breaks down on me. Does it matter who you have your gas and electric from?

You need to apply (can do it online) to: http://www.direct.gov.uk/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/BenefitsAndFinancialSupportArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10018661&chk=MjGOPK.

This site gives you all the info.
  • davey210
    davey210 Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    Hi Lady you can claim these if you ring Eaga partership

http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants/warm_front.htm

If you own your home, or rent it from a private landlord, you may be able to claim a grant of up to £2700 under the Warm Front Scheme.

The following people may be able to claim a grant under Warm Front:

1.Householders aged 60 or over and are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

• Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit
    OR
    2. Householders who (a) have a child under 16, or (b) are pregnant and have been given maternity certificate MAT B1 in relation to the pregnancy concerned, and are also in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
    • Income Support
    • Council Tax Benefit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit

Contact us

http://www.eaga.co.uk/ContactUs/index.html

You have missed a few qualifying benefits poppy!
    Disabliliy living allowance
    Attendance allowance
    Working tax credit with a annual income of £15,50 or less
    Also if You have no gas supply in your area,and need oil central
    heating,the grant is £4700.00.
  • Poppycat
    Options
    I have amended that post, thanks.

I made a new post the same day with all the relevant information

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=186113
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I rang them and they are going to send me some papers. If I do find I am eligible do you think they might say that because the boiler is working that I can't have a new one? My house is very hard to heat because I think most of the radiators are just not big enough do they help with that kind of thing?

The boiler is in the loft(combination) its out of the way there but causes problems if it needs topping up etc as I can't get up there.

What kind is your new boiler then poppy? a wireless timer sounds good, my timer is in the cupboard under the stairs and not easy to get to.

My whole system and boiler was fitted in 1989 so it's 17 years old but if it ever goes I will be in a complete mess because I rely on it for water and heating as it's combination and if it goes they both go.

To be fair over 17 years I really haven't had many problems with it apart from topping up the water and thats it and occasionally the light being blown out in extreme windy weather.

Mine is a Valiant (german make) and they told me also that this was the rolls royce of boilers too. Only risk was that if it ever broke down it would be more difficult to get the parts for but I've never needed any. So this made me wonder if they might say I couldn't have it replaced as its ran so well over the years.

How much are boilers anyway? as I am a house owner and I think the max they allow for home owners is £2700
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • Poppycat
    Options
    Hi Lady,

Our boiler was working but we couldn't have hot water and radiators on at same time really as it played up. From the impression I got from the inspector who came round, he said they replaced them if they are 8 years of age anyhow, he didn't even check the boiler, just a quick look. They assessed our insulation in our house, but that was already well insulated as much as we could get it anyhow.

The boiler is a valliance and we were told that it was the Rolls Royce of boilers. The timer is wireless its in the hallway but we can pick it up off the wall and place it else where if we wish.

The boiler is around 1,500 mark if that helps. It took best part of a day, from 9 to 3.30 ish and a electrician came at dinner time to wire up, 3 guys in totally. They have to come back just to fit two screws in the outer pipe to comply with manufacturers rules and insert some chemicals into the radiators.

They also check whether you are ellegable for the grant we get WFT so they looked at the award. You also get some light bulbs too.

The boiler is a condensing boiler so all you see is steam coming outside from the outer pipe, as water is only heated when its needed, takes 2-3 seconds for hot water, our last boiler took 30 secs or so. You don't need a hot water tank which we didn't have anyhow, as our last boiler was a combi boiler (Worcester)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure