TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Taking a balanced view of it, I think that the British public have been remarkably tolerant of TV Licensing over the years. Perhaps too tolerant.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Taking a balanced view of it, I think that the British public have been remarkably tolerant of TV Licensing over the years. Perhaps too tolerant.

YES that is why we have rip off Britain, whether it be energy, insurance, banking crisis, austerit, debt, food prices, petrol prices or whatever; bend over and grab your ankles because we know you will not complain.

The pitchforks are coming....

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/the-pitchforks-are-coming-for-us-plutocrats-108014
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, you've missed out on a potential refund by not telling them.
    Remember that your direct debit pays for your licence part in advance and part in arrears.
    Which means there is a chance that they now owe you money.
    I meant to post this before but forgot: a few weeks ago I received a refund cheque from TVL for £24.80 !!!128512;
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • Deewm76
    Deewm76 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    My current threatening letter states , We know! you know! .. Pretty sure that means jack all (since I have had 23) . Still howl with laughter every time I open one.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 12 May 2018 at 8:55AM
    Options
    Yes, the BBC-TVL letters are something of a "dark art" - an unfortunate and inappropriate combination of threat, deceit and optional bureaucracy. Ultimately, though, as you say, largely meaningless and anyone who is doing nothing wrong can simply throw them away with a clear conscience.

For anyone who hasn't seen these letters, this site keeps a catalogue: http://www.bbctvlicence.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    and anyone who is doing nothing wrong can simply throw them away with a clear conscience.

I keep them for posterior. :)
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I keep them for posterior. :)

I hear they make good hamster bedding, too.
  • PrometheusUnbound
    PrometheusUnbound Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 31 May 2018 at 1:58AM
    Options
    Some great opinions and advice on here. Thank you.

My opinion is a simple one. The BBC should be treated like any other TV corporation. It should be required to stand or fall on it's own merits or flaws. It should earn it's revenue by itself. We live in a different time. A digital age where our choice of entertainment and news providers is abundant.
    Choice. That's my biggest issue with licencing. If I want to watch Sky Sports I will purchase a Sky TV package that provides that. I have made that choice. Sky deserve my money for providing that service. With the BBC there is no choice. I either pay them to watch TV in general or no TV at all.
    I admit to being unabashedly left of center capitalist. Rightly or wrongly. And that requires a free market. What the BBC does with it's licensing fee feels very much against the idea of a free market.
    Though my generation, gen. X, do seem to be much less into TV in it's traditional form. Many seem to prefer streaming services (this is all hyperbole, I know) and those services do live or die by their merits and flaws. They have to compete.

Anyway, that's my, admittedly, unasked for opinion. Sadly our household does pay the gangste... erm, I mean, BBC's fee but that's because my grandfather who I care for does watch some TV.

Thanks again.
    P.U
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sadly our household does pay the gangste... erm, I mean, BBC's fee but that's because my grandfather who I care for does watch some TV.
    If you pay for one, I assume he's under 75? If not, then stop paying and claim the free one he's entitled to.
    Cheryl
  • zziggy
    zziggy Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    When paying for a licence fee by installments when does any increase in the licence fee kick in?

My understanding was that if you had already started to pay for your licence before any increase was announced, then you would continue to pay at the old rate until you started to pay for the next year's licence.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback