Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• slliw
    slliw Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response, we used Lyft last year in Miami and maxed out the promo codes then.
    Do the rentals come with GPS or you bring your own?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    slliw wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, we used Lyft last year in Miami and maxed out the promo codes then.
    Do the rentals come with GPS or you bring your own?
    You can have them added at extra but I just use Google maps on my phone
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good tips there Stoneman, I used Uber all the time I was in Vegas last year and found them excellent, I once used the App at Ceasers Palace and found myself standing right next to the driver when he accepted!

I'll have to give Lyft a try next time (whenever that might be!)
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Through experience I only use Lyft, they are ALWAYS cheaper than Uber, how do I know? I have an app you can only get on the US app store that instantly compares both companies in real time when you put in your destination, and Lyft prices are fixed, where Uber has a range of a few dollars.
    What's the app you use to compare? :)
    stoneman wrote:
    If you would like a few dollars off your first trip pm me and I'll send you my promocode, I of course will get a few dollars added to my account as well.
    Will this work in any state? If so, can you bung me over a Facebook message with the code? (and the $ amount it gets?)

Cheers :beer:
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just in case people haven't seen, there's an offer at Cosmo on... not sure if it's any good - you can decide for yourselves ;)
    $105 & up – Flash Sale: Swanky Las Vegas Strip Resort, up to 30% Off

* A 2-night minimum stay is required for the "Ditch Everyday" promotion
    * Refundable price; book now and cancel up to 72 hours before arrival if necessary
    * A nightly $40 (tax inclusive :eek: ) resort fee is additional and covers Wi-Fi and fitness center access

https://www.travelzoo.com/hotel-booking/hotel/2168/the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas/
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    In 2009, and possibly previous to that, I purchased Restaurant.com vouchers to use in Las Vegas.

I dutifully printed them out and took them with me on at least 3 Vegas trips and never used them.

I have just checked my account after a absence of quite a number of years and found I have $150 worth of giftcards to use.

Nice surprise for our impending vegas trip.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done Triker. I!!!8217;ll have to check my account too. I recall they changed the certificates to no expiry date a few years ago. I can!!!8217;t say I!!!8217;ve bothered with them in recent years due to the good deals on Groupon and Travelzoo.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Triker wrote: »
    In 2009, and possibly previous to that, I purchased Restaurant.com vouchers to use in Las Vegas.

I dutifully printed them out and took them with me on at least 3 Vegas trips and never used them.

I have just checked my account after a absence of quite a number of years and found I have $150 worth of giftcards to use.

Nice surprise for our impending vegas trip.

I am the same,as like Pebbles I stopped using them as I had so many other deals.

be aware that you may have to swop your vouchers to another restaurant as the one you originally chose may have stopped participating , at least thats how I remember it last time I looked
  • slliw
    slliw Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    How many in your party and is South or West Rim you are going? South Rim is a lot further so you may want a more comfortable car.

Some of the strip hotels have rental agencies which is probably more convenient but as you say choce may be limited. Check the the opening and closing times as you may have to pay for an extra day depending what time you want to leave for GC.

The downside of getting from the airport is that at least one of you has to go and get it and take it back so more inconvenient.

Unless you need the size of an SUV, a mid, standard or even compact would easily do the journey.

Only two of us in our party and we are going to South rim so will want something comfortable which is why we want the SUV for the long journey. Currently I drive a 5 door Ford fiesta and wouldn't fancy doing 5 hours drive in that to the canyon. Will probably end up keeping the car till we fly out so in total will rent for about 7 days. Also plan on doing some shopping to the Outlets so can see the need for a bigger car

How does it work? I've been told by colleagues they just walk you to the car park and show you a range of SUVs and ask you to pick one.

I guess worse case if the SUV range on offer are too big I can always downgrade to a medium sized car
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    u pay for small SUV, u pick from small range SUV
    u pay for standard size, u pick from standard..
    u pay for Full size, u pick from full size...
    same for cars :)

For ref:
    They have the Nissan Rogue as Intermediate SUV.... (small)
    In the UK, that's a Nissan X-Trail...
    Standard is: Santa Fe (same car over here)
    Full size can be: Ford Explorer (range rover), and Expedition (nice big SUV)

Pay for a intermediate SUV if u don't mind that say, and slip the guy in the garage $20 and ask if he can put u in something bigger :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure