BEV emmissions

Options

Comments

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    We already have curtailment and negative electricity prices and the technology to prioritise EV charging when this happens so already the assumption that we should use marginal gas generation co2 when calculating emissions from evs is already floored and will become increasingly inaccurate. I suspect currently curtailment is increasing more quickly than bev usage.

I've already addressed this point elsewhere and said it's not fair to allocate it as 100% gas but it's not far off. The reason is the UK grid is not marginal green often. over the last 30 days only about 2-3% of hours were marginal green which is not significant

Also it is incorrect to say the grid will get more hours when it's marginal green (well let's call it marginal wind as that's likely what we are talking about) anytime soon

Over the next 5 years these are the significant changes
    2 links to Norway pulling 2.8GW of any excess
    8 reactors closed 3.5GW lost so 3.5GW space for wind
    3-4GW min levels of fossil fuel to operate the grid goes to 0GW as the grid puts in place technologies to allow some hours of zero fossil fuels

What this means is there will be about 10GW more space for wind power come 2025 without the need to curtail. As such I don't expect this 2-3% of hours where there is curtailment to change much.

And we in the UK are much further along than most of the world
    BEVs save no significant net carbon in a gas grid and are worse in a coal grid (Vs an efficient hybrid or ICE) and most the world's grid is still coal heavy. China India USA Germany Japan Indonesia Australia.... Well pretty much most the world...are still coal heavy grids
  • GreatApe
    Options
    I also like the silly idea that 'my BEV is solar powered' it's as accurate as those who claim their electricity is nuclear powered because there is a nuke ten miles away.

The distance of the power station doesn't matter if it's on your roof or ten miles away or a hundred miles away electromagnetism moves at the speed of light. A BEV is marginal load and is charged by marginal supply on that grid irrespective of a nuke or PV panels being closer than the marginal CCGT
  • GreatApe
    Options
    There is an easy way to improve the situation

BEVs and hybrids could have solar panel roofs
    Yes it's not as efficient as on a house but there is no capacity limit to solar cell manufacturing and while a solar cell on a car might be half as efficient as on a home it will probably cost one third as much to put it on a car in a manufacturing plant than on your roof plus no need for an inverter

Musk says the cyber truck can self charge 15 miles a day in a Sunny locations
    That's amazing and most the worlds population live in sunny areas.

The model 3 has less roof space but is more efficient it could possibly get the same 15 miles a day self charge.

This would make BEVs and Hybrids about 50% solar 50% grid (or petrol) and is the way to go
  • GreatApe
    Options
    BEVs for emmissions reduction are a big waste at this stage

A £3,500 grant for a BEV and about £9,000 less fuel taxes reduces emmissions by roughly zero

The same £12,500 could be used to fit 3 homes with 4KWp solar array which would save 4.8 tons per year and probably last 50 years while the car maybe 15 years
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    BEVs for emmissions reduction are a big waste at this stage

A £3,500 grant for a BEV and about £9,000 less fuel taxes reduces emmissions by roughly zero

The same £12,500 could be used to fit 3 homes with 4KWp solar array which would save 4.8 tons per year and probably last 50 years while the car maybe 15 years
    If we wait for the grid to become green before initiating the change from ICE to BEV, it'll add another 10 years onto the timescale.

It also gives us time to sort out all the permutations of smart charging, V2G, V2H etc. Creating the demand for BEVs now means that by the time the grid is green, there'll be plenty of vehicles to choose from both new & used.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • GreatApe
    edited 16 December 2019 at 1:33PM
    Options
    1961Nick wrote: »
    If we wait for the grid to become green before initiating the change from ICE to BEV, it'll add another 10 years onto the timescale.

It also gives us time to sort out all the permutations of smart charging, V2G, V2H etc. Creating the demand for BEVs now means that by the time the grid is green, there'll be plenty of vehicles to choose from both new & used.

Cars don't last forever
    If you assume a 15 year life for a BEV most the world's grids especially the big 5 (China USA India Japan Germany) won't be marginal green even at the tail end of the BEVs lives

Buy a BEV it's a free world but don't expect it to save much in emmissions in a gas grid and expect more emmissions in a coal grid

Oh also there is a good chance heating will start to be electrified in 10-15 years time so electricity can and will use marginal green generation so you might find that hybrids and BEVs are roughly the same emmissions for the next 30 years. This will of course depends on how rapidly marginal green is deployed and how rapidly heating is electrified. Electrifying heating certainly isn't difficult a smart resistance heater can cost as low as £30 which is 1,000x cheaper than a BEV
  • GreatApe
    Options
    Also you are all missing the good news here, there is a pathway to realistic affordable 100g/km hybrids that can be built without battery capacity problems and have lower emmissions upfront since they are about 300kg lighter than full BEVs. This is good news not bad news

I would go further and say if you add a 500 watt solar panel on these hybrids and add just 2KWh larger battery (10kg) this hybrid becomes significantly solar powered. Adding upto 15 miles per day solar range in sunny locations and most the world lives in sunny locations. Making them as much as 50% solar 50% petrol which reduces their emmissions further to just 50g/km

So there is an affordable scalable way to get ICE down to about 50g/km which is very good
    In the less sunny months these can still be plugged in if the owner wants to do so gaining about 12 miles pure EV range each time they plug in. It's not huge but the average trip in the UK is only 8 miles.

Don't let idealistic perfection be the enermy of the good
    Especially when the idealised BEVs rely on ideal grids which mostly don't exist

Pathway could be

ICE --> Hybrid --> Solar Hybrid --> Plug in solar hybrid --> Pure BEVs
    150grams --> 100grams --> 50 grams --> 25 grams --> 0 grams (When the grid is majority marginal green)
    Roughly Now --> 5yrs --> 10yrs --> 15yrs --> 20yrs
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh also there is a good chance electricity will start to be electrified in 10-15 years time
    Yes I think that is something we can all look forward to! :rotfl:
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also like the silly idea that 'my BEV is solar powered' it's as accurate as those who claim their electricity is nuclear powered because there is a nuke ten miles away.

The distance of the power station doesn't matter if it's on your roof or ten miles away or a hundred miles away electromagnetism moves at the speed of light. A BEV is marginal load and is charged by marginal supply on that grid irrespective of a nuke or PV panels being closer than the marginal CCGT

Sorry, I disagree.

Cars charging from solar using a Zappi smooth out the peaks and troughs of solar generation. The grid cannot respond as rapidly to intermittent sun/cloud as a Zappi.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • GreatApe
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    Sorry, I disagree.

About what?

The proximity of the power plant is more or less irrelevant electricity moves at the speed of light just because a nuke or coal or gas plant is closest to you doesn't mean your marginal power is what is close.

Electrons don't flow out of the nuke into the homes that are close. The Nuke generates an electric potential difference which moves at the speed of light and what powers your home is actually electrons that are moving at fairly slow speeds within the wiring of your home. Moving at not much more than 1 millimetre per second

Cars charging from solar using a Zappi smooth out the peaks and troughs of solar generation. The grid cannot respond as rapidly to intermittent sun/cloud as a Zappi.

Why do you think this?

The grid has in built-in inertia so much of it that it can indeed instantly cover HUGE changes in supply or demand I an talking at least 500-1000MW instant change. Your 10KW of solar power is nothing Vs the inertia of the grid.

Also how is this related to BEVs if you think the grid needs batteries you can say 'i think the grid needs batteries' (even though it's managed just fine for a hundred years without them)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure