Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Almost everything completed on the list , except blitzing the top floor, watching mindhunter and doing the accounts. However we did have a spontaneous afternoon of indoor crazy golf. Dh paid - hooray :D and dds boyfriend had a great day. I even managed to get dh to the tip with the kitchen rubbish.

Xmas prep underway in earnest now, last night I had two baskets filled, one at whistlefish and one at studio, I’m currently weighing up whether to go posh or cheap! I cant go too posh on gift wrap the amount I use though :o if anyone’s interested there were free delivery codes for studio and cheaper deals on buying Xmas cards at whistlefish.

£5 Tilly tidy made even though I don’t know if there’s a £5 surplus in the current account, how to live dangerously :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That is living dangerously newgirly! Mindhunter is so good isn't it, we're a few episodes in.

It's amazing how at this time of year our thoughts turn to Christmas especially as it feels summer is over. I have to say I do love the build up and preparation and make the most of the long evenings. I ty to embrace every season but Summer never seemed to arrive!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Options
    You are right there Cath, I think summer was about three days wasn’t it? I’m already burning spiced orange scented candles and drinking toffee popcorn flavoured coffee, trying to hurry autumn along :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    I'm so ready for Autumn and also did some Xmas shopping yesterday as well as starting to make lists for presents!! I appreciate it's still August!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi debtfreeoneday, glad I’m not the only one :D I went in a certain cheap high street card shop yesterday to maybe buy some xmas cards but the constant stream of people walking past saying how ridiculously early it is having them on display put me off :o
  • newgirly
    Options
    Very busy at work this week, especially with dh starting training the other side of London on the new equipment that’s coming soon. It looks promising that we may be able to get ds2 a job working on the new business our bosses are buying, he went along yesterday and it went really well, we have always held off trying to get them work but this new business is perfect for him and he doesn’t want to go to uni now.

Kitchen fitter is apparently doing all the work himself as of next Tuesday, (all electrics properly certified!) but I’m not sure if this means it will be cheaper as his quote of £1750 seems low for ripping out, floor, plastering , electrics etc. I’m expecting for it to not cover everything :o
  • newgirly
    Options
    It was our anniversary yesterday, dh finished work late so we just ate in front of the tv :o I bought dh a yorkie and he got me some flowers, however both our parents sent us a card with £30 in each :T it’s being saved :D

Good weekend planned though, off for toast in c@sta this morning then a salad in las iguanas by the riverside in lakeside, possibly picking up my next clearance bundles of coats I’ve ordered to try on if they arrive early :D if no good it will be a primarni winter coat this year.

Tomorrow is a bbq round my parents - rare occurrence now as there are too many of us I’m told! but some can’t come this time. Plus I’m very excited to drag a slightly unwilling dh to ......drum roll.......the opening of the big Xmas shop :j it’s fabulous :D I will of course visit a few more times before xmas but like to always do bank holiday opening, this year I believe they have singing princesses!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    hope you have a lovely weekend
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • newgirly
    Options
    Thanks mfd’s , we settled in the end on saving some money by having a row and not going out yesterday :rotfl:

Went to the fabulous xmas shop today, didn’t buy anything at all although I could have very easily bought lots.

Ordered dds graduation tickets last night £100 for four, plus will need money for robes, photos and a meal out afterwards for everyone, luckily it’s not until October.

This month has been a real squeeze, still have around £86 left in the food and petrol budget (£400) this month to last until 5th sept. £65 has gone on petrol so far, it’s not going to achievable with the kitchen being ripped out Tuesday and only a microwave and toaster in the living room :eek:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Just under £60 spent in mr t last night on microwave food, readymade sarnies and salad bowls. Builder has ripped out everything in one day, bare floors walls, no electrics the lot :eek: today we have found out some of the kitchen is missing and we have bits we didn’t need :( hopefully it won’t take too long though, but his estimated time frame to do everything was four days! Can’t believe that’s ever possible.

My dad had his Maserati stolen off the drive in the night, they were seen on them ring doorbell cutting the signal by the front door and driving away in 18 seconds with the tracker disabled too, they kept the keys in the fridge, so that clearly doesn’t work :o Got a great up close picture on video but I guess it’s been stolen to order, there’s a lot of that around here.

Bake off night tonight (kids all out last night) it’s cake week so I plumped for Victoria sponge, battenburg (yuk but it was requested) and jam tarts. I don’t think we have ever guessed what they are baking correctly to eat while watching :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback