PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• theskintfamily
    Options
    another £4.98 for me yesterday to pick up a few bits that i missed on thursday. am going to try and stay away from any supermarkets until next saturday, should only need milk so could do it quite easily. Will do a meal plan later today so that'll help.

off to update my sig..
    Jan GC £0/£200
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2009 at 7:48AM
    Options
    This month doesn't seem to be quite working on the food budget front. I think we'd let some stuff run down so there have been lots of extras like washing powder, etc. Also, I didn't budget enough extra for school hols and the days when I was away (OH doesn't follow the menu plan). Then there was the food festival yesterday ... But my cupboards are full, we have lunch stuff for the weekend, and maybe I'll get back on track with a small order next week.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Haven't posted for ages but need to keep on track.....finally updated my spend for this month & it does look kind of scary after visits to Mr Ts, Morribobs & a weekend away in London:eek:...considering it's only the 11th there is a lot of month for the money IYSWIM:D

Anyhow, should be plenty of NSDs, not planning to go anywhere till Mon & dinner is paid for on that day. Today lunch is whoopsied hummus & pittas dinner will be HM chilli & rice, pittas or garlic bread & eves pudding for afters. Tomorrow I think should be something a bit more special :A

Will see what my Christmas stint at M&S provided in the freezer - have loads of goodies still in there so no need to go to the shops - honestly..but have informed DH that yes, I do need an Easter egg for myself. Given up hinting, as hints never penetrate, decided the only way is to state the bloomin obvious:EasterBun

:easter: everyone!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!
    Hope you're all having a good Easter break.
    Went to Mr A's yesterday for achange to Mr Ts and wasn't really very impressed - I thought it was as expensive if not more than Mr Ts and they didn't have some of the things that I usually buy. Will stick to Mr Ts with the odd pop in to Mr S for the odd veggie item that you can't buy anywhere else.

Managed to spend £51 but this did include dog food for the next 2 weeks, quite a bit of meat for OH and plenty of fruit. I'm up to £167 of £200 to spend but I won't be spending again until next weekend.
    It'll be tight but I'll try and if I go over I'll trty to keep it as low as possible.

Might be off to Chester Zoo today if the weather holds - looking forward to it - I love the monkeys!!!
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Just popping on to update my sig after getting a gammon for tomorrow and some sugar, bread & a jar of pasatta - £10.93 so pleased. I did send DH though as I get sidetracked by 'offers' and the fridge/freezer & cupboards are full. I've been buying extras in since the 1st week in March in preperation for the school holidays (and hiding them) so I'm hoping that it will work out. I went over in March but am determined to not do so this month ;)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    need to update my sig. i was hoping for a NSD today but i need to get a plant or flowers for MIL for easter,
  • mrspoor
    mrspoor Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone, happy Easter weekend!

Just had my Sainsbugs delivery, and I seem to have ordered a very strange mix of things! On the plus side though, fridge, freezer and cupboards are all full to bursting point (including a whole shelf in the fridge devoted to cheese :D), but I did forget bread, so will be popping out to pick some up, as well as ingredients for choc brownies which I suddenly fancy making today. Got the fright of my life when I saw the total at the bottom of the receipt - £100.96 :eek:, but luckily that was the total before my £15 voucher!!

I accidentally bought OH a whole leg of lamb for dinner tomorrow - I wasn't really paying attention by that point, and thought I'd ordered a half leg. I'm sure he'll manage it all though! :rolleyes:

I can't help thinking I need to leave him detailed instructions for while I'm away to make sure he eats the food we already have instead of buying pizza from the Coop every day - maybe I should write him a special meal plan!
  • fletch3163
    fletch3163 Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everyone

There's something about NOT shopping on a shopping day (Saturday) to make me behave better. It's weird but I seem to think more logically when it's not shopping day. On shopping day I go into "store" mode and overshop. I get pulled by the "bargain/offer" and end up over.

Yesterday I visited M&S and I have to say, although most of the things there are highly priced (if lovely tasting) I reckon I'm getting the best bargain with their spaghetti (and it's fab). It costs only 37p for 500g. I've not found a cheaper and tastier one yet. Oh, and their penne is only 54p but I've tons of that. Their pork sausages are gorgeous too at only 99p for 1 lb (8) and Danish unsmoked bacon twin pack (16 slices) for £4, baked beans at 41p a tin and some of their soups only 49p a tin which are a must at Easter time.

Anyway I spent a mere £45.76 between M&S and Tesco and I even got a small lamb joint for Sunday's dinner. Now, I'm not counting the purchasing of Easter eggs because that will inflate my costs and defeat my purpose of food focus :D
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info about M&S fletch3163 I wouldn't have thought that they would be so competitively priced on staples like pasta but the penne is cheaper than Netto!!!!! It's not a shop I tend to go to very often as I always end up buying ready meals, pizza slices & dinky bags of veg which all come at a premium price of course. I'll have a pop in next week if only for pasta & sausages I think.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    fletch3163 i got some of the M+S spaghetti last week and you're right its lovely i didnt find any of the other pasta any cheaper though.
    sunnygirl i have the same problem if i go in M+S i end up buying far more than is good for me lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure