It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »

Very rarely is something replaced because it's old...only if it ceases to be functional. That includes DH!!!!!!:rotfl:
    :rotfl:
    I have been known to introduce Mr DQ as 'my current husband'. Just kidding, of course.;)
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    Am I the only person who reaches for the wine bottle the minute I start cooking? I don't drink beer or spirits but probably quaff a couple of bottles of wine per week. One of life's pleasures is a half of Aspalls in the pub garden on a warm summer evening.

However, I spend less than £30p.a. on my mobile. This is very easy when you have it switched off 99% of the time and never use it to access the internet.

Dispensing with 21st century 'necessities' is very good for the wallet. We don't have cable or satellite subscriptions, or a dishwasher.

Would be interested to hear what 'modern conveniences' others are happy to forego.

I have a cheap PAYG phone as it's convenient to have a mobile but I don't need a smartphone or contract. I tend to keep many appliances for a long time (PC, hi-fi, phone) and occasionally upgraded the TV but am fairly happy with our current one. White goods only replaced when they stop working. If things like tablets weren't sealed units then I'd replace the battery on those rather than buy a new one.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well my spreadsheet exercise has informed me we're averaging £2.3K per month spend, excluding holidays and one-offs. Room for improvement in places I think. We've just moved house and have an expensive year ahead of us with building work planned.

I'm spending £6 per month on my phone, up from £5 as my previous supplier there's no signal in our house. OH is spending £40 and seems reluctant to move. I've asked him to phone and see if he can get a better deal. At the moment we don't have paid for TV, but unfortunately we can only get a very basic selection of TV as we're getting signal from a Freeview Light transmitter, with no prospect of ever getting anything else and although I don't want to spend all my retirement in front of the telly, there's some stuff I miss, so we may have to cough up.

Our groceries bill seems quite high, although it does include cleaning materials, toilettries, cat food etc. I think it's not helped by OH going mad in the wine aisle at Waitrose every time some money off vouchers come through. We've a small wine lake. Fortunately Waitrose is further away now so the 'I'm just popping down to Waitrose', followed by clinking in the garage when he returns, hasn't happened for a few weeks.

However, I would like to be able to support our new local high street a bit more, which inevitably means spending a bit more than in the supermarkets. It's a difficult balance sometimes.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Options
    With regards expensive gym memberships, I do tai chi, which now I'm a 'senior' (over 55 and not working) means I can pay £170 for a year's membership for as many classes as I want to fit in. At just over £14 a month it's a bargain.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    OH is spending £40 and seems reluctant to move. I've asked him to phone and see if he can get a better deal.

I think it's not helped by OH going mad in the wine aisle at Waitrose every time some money off vouchers come through. We've a small wine lake.
    Were our OHs separated at birth? :)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was just going to say the same. A new set of vouchers arrived yesterday and I know what they will get spent on.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership any more, I just use Hussle (was PayasUGym).

For my swimming (@Livingwell) it costs £6.49 for a one off, or £29.20 for 5 visits within 30 days. No contracts and as I only go once a week it works for me.

Currently just sipping an Austin's and Lemonade in the sun...Happy Days!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Slinky
    Options
    OH has recently taken out a month's swim membership at our local pool (Places4People) and is going 5 days a week. At £24 for the month, it's a bargain for him too.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very reasonable- the council has shut most of our pools before building the new one that has been being discussed for at least 20 years now :(
    OH only swims so he has joined the lovely - but expensive - restored Edwardian lido at £59 pcm. Due to long working hours he doesn't always manage one visit per week but if he wasn't a member he would do no exercise at all.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JoeEngland
    JoeEngland Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Very reasonable- the council has shut most of our pools before building the new one that has been being discussed for at least 20 years now :(
    OH only swims so he has joined the lovely - but expensive - restored Edwardian lido at £59 pcm. Due to long working hours he doesn't always manage one visit per week but if he wasn't a member he would do no exercise at all.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for him to pay as you go rather than pay a monthly membership?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback