Options

Comments

• douglasangus
    Options
    Now not accepting addresses other than Germany, Austria and Switzerland
  • glider3560
    Options
    DKB now only accepting addresses in German, Austria and Switzerland
    Does that comply with the EU regulations?

Or am I being too British here (i.e. assuming countries other than us will actually enforce the rules)?
  • Minunjay
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Does that comply with the EU regulations?
    No, it certainly doesn't - talk to your MEP while you still have one.
    Too new here to post you a proper link, but see europa.eu youreurope citizens consumers financial-products-and-services bank-accounts-eu index_en.htm - or lookup Directive 2014/92/EU
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now not accepting addresses other than Germany, Austria and Switzerland
    I don't believe that is true. The application form most definitely takes other addresses, too.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I don't believe that is true. The application form most definitely takes other addresses, too.
    When I tried to sign up with DKB a couple of years ago, my UK address and everything else was entered and accepted, but on finally submitting the application the message appeared "Sorry, we only accept applications from residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland". It would be useful to know if this is no longer the case.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    When I tried to sign up with DKB a couple of years ago, my UK address and everything else was entered and accepted, but on finally submitting the application the message appeared "Sorry, we only accept applications from residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland". It would be useful to know if this is no longer the case.
    I know this used to be the case, and I believe it has changed. I have opened a DKB account in April this year, and the only address I have is my UK address.

That said, there are potential alternatives such as the Transferwise Borderless account. One of the advantages of that account is that you don't need to be fluent in German to open and operate the account. It doesn't have a debit card though.
  • john100
    Options
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried to use the Ferratum Bank current accounts? I can't post a link to it here apparently.
    This looks too good to be true, considering I've been struggling to open a current account in Dublin (where I am purchasing a buy-to-let), and am getting fobbed off with various lame excuses. Any advice welcomed!
  • martinlewisjunior
    Options
    Best suggestion is Revolut.

https://www.revolut.com/

As you can pay Euros into the account from an employer who pays in euros.

The revolut EU account is based in Lithuiana. Under Barclays.

No credit checks either.

And you can receive a debit card with contactless and have direct debits etc!
  • Minunjay
    Options
    john100 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried to use the Ferratum Bank current accounts?
    This looks too good to be true, considering I've been struggling to open a current account in Dublin
    No, but KBC Ireland accept non-residents. Otherwise, as mentioned above, Revolut is very good and quick to set up. I've got both.
  • pinchfist
    Options
    I am a UK resident with a property in Spain. I am looking for an alternative to my current overseas bank (Banco Santander). I need a euro account which will allow me to set up direct debits (eg for gas, electricity) for my Spanish property. Is this practical or must I stick with a Spanish bank?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure