PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stained Bath

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The previous tenant (as well as leaving the house in a disgusting state) squeezed a cleaner of some sort round the top rim and its run down the sides clearly taking a layer of enamel off leaving a gross grey mark that looks like soap scum and filth.

I read this thread over the weekend after both using bicarb and my trusty steam cleaner then more and more cleaners for over the last year but it just wasn't getting the stains off (i know the enamel runs wont come away, but the grey runs have embedded dirt and scum that seems to have ingrained themselves into the gritty undercoat)

I tried the Bio washing powder thinking, pish never going to work. I was amazed. Its taken several layers off! its now only light grey instead of filthy grey and that was only soaking for a few hours.

Next weekend i will soak it overnight!

:D

THank you!
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Nikkinackynooky
    Options
    An earlier post from 2003 stated that cream of tartar and hydrogen peroxide mixed together was the only recommendation that worked for stained bath. I would assume that they meant food grade hydrogen peroxide 3%.

I'm going to buy some cream of tartar and have a go, will let you know how I get on, as my enamelled cast iron bath is so stained.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I also have a streaky bath. I think it's because I've used the wrong products on it. I worry if the cream of tartar and peroxide would be too harsh and damage it further? Also where would you buy this stuff?
  • Summertime1234
    Options
    I found an earlier posting suggesting cream of tartar sprinkled onto the enamel bath stain and rubbed in with half a lemon. I have just tentatively tried it as I had both in the house. The result was amazing! No idea whether it will last...or will have an ill effect long term, but has to be worth a go as the alternatives i.e. replacement bath or re-enamelling are so expensive. I think Cream of Tartar is still available in Supermarkets.....
  • MissZee
    Options
    Hi, just been reading through all these posts and just wondering if you managed to get rid of the tea stains from your bath?
    I have them in my sink and this is brand new bought in August and somehow these stains have appeared and I cannot remove them!
    I clean the sink more less everytime I have used the sink so at least three times a day with a cif multipurpose spray cleaner for everyday use.

Thank you in advance
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure