TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Yes - you would need to cancel in order to be able to legally cancel your TV Licence.

Your contradicting yourself. The need for the TV license is to watch or record LIVE tv as you point out further down your post. Possession of a TV or a subscription to a TV service doesn’t fulfill the watch or record requirements for needing a TV license.

There’s a very good reason why 95% of prosecutions are started using self incrimination.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 March 2019 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Your contradicting yourself. The need for the TV license is to watch or record LIVE tv as you point out further down your post. Possession of a TV or a subscription to a TV service doesn’t fulfill the watch or record requirements for needing a TV license.
    My answer was based on a combination of the actual rules and a knowledge of how TV Licensing and the Courts approach evidence and prosecutions. Having a Pay TV subscription associated primarily with reception by Terrestrial (BT TV/Talktalk/Plusnet/EE), Satellite (Sky) or Cable TV (Virgin) is seen as supporting evidence for an allegation of TV Licence evasion - in fact they can support a heavier penalty than might otherwise be the case.

That's not to say that you need a Licence to own a TV/STB as such, but that having a Pay TV subscription (that incorporates TV reception) is seen as strong evidence of evasion. In an era where subscriber data is shared by Pay TV operators with the BBC for the purposes of Licence enforcement I think it's only responsible to state this. It is a very thin, grey line though, because Now TV is on the "right" side, despite it having streamed access to TV channels.
    There’s a very good reason why 95% of prosecutions are started using self incrimination.

What's the reason? Is it because the interview process is biased, presumes guilt, exploits people's ignorance and has PACE compliance issues even when the correct BBC procedure is observed?
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Bristow wrote: »
    The TV licence is in my name. I am a year younger than my husband, who has now reached 70. Hopefully free TV licences will still be available in 5 years (although I am not hopeful), but should I change the licence into his name or is the fact that he will be 75 when I am 74 sufficient to ensure we get a free licence?

I very much doubt that the Free Over 75 Licence will still be with us (at least in its present form) in 5 years time.

In its present form, it is available to any household that includes someone who is 75 or older. On which basis, I don't think it makes any difference who is the named Licence-holder.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not watched the total corrupt and biased propaganda machine that is the BBC in 10 years although I've listened to it on the radio for which no license is required.

None of us have ever entered into a contract with them so do not have to speak or communicate with them or the people they send around.

Just close the door on them and say nothing.

Plenty of YouTube videos showing you how to deal with these parasites.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    metrobus wrote: »
    Not watched the total corrupt and biased propaganda machine that is the BBC in 10 years although I've listened to it on the radio for which no license is required.

As a matter of interest, to whom do you go for your "news" requirements who isn't corrupt or biased?
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, to whom do you go for your "news" requirements who isn't corrupt or biased?

Russia Today ;)
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    BBC News, ITV News, C4 News and Sky News are all subtly different, I would say.

I'm not sure any of them stray into full on bias or agendas overall, but on particular issues they probably don't pass an objective test of impartiality, either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It makes me yawn when people say the BBC is a "corrupt biased propaganda machine" and "pedos" yawn... yet they probably read the Sun and watch Sky News.

I don't pay the TV Licence but I don't go calling the BBC as a reason for not paying it to make me feel justified in my actions.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I assume ? there was a change to legislation when iPlayer was added to the list of no-no's ? Just to be clear (to me), is licence evation a criminal or civil offence ?
  • Proximaking
    Options
    I haven't had a licence for years now and I still get abusive letters through the door from the company the BBC use to chase people for payment. It is an utter disgrace that this abuse of innocent people is allowed to go on but I find the letters quite handy to light the fire with. It is great to know that not only are you not watching the Biased Broadcasting Company propaganda but that you aren't paying for that propaganda either. How can we say we live in a free society when the government broadcaster has the power to demand money with menaces for watching live TV from their direct competitors?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback