PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long could you go without buying clothes

Options

Comments

• Smurphington
    Options
    Wow well done on the weight loss, that is definitely an achievement
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Several years, and quite easily.
    Same here. I loathe and detest clothes shopping, and will take any excuse not to have to do it.

I hate to admit it, but my bras and knickers are all several years old; the newest were bought in Belgium the second-to-last time we went there, which was *checks photo album for dates....* 2011. :eek:
    I don't even need to buy footwear any more, as I use a wheelchair, I don't wear shoes out. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another one here for whom the allure of shopping for clothes died a good while ago now. When I lived in the corporate world with the budget and stress levels to match I was expected to dress appropriately for my position, luckily those days are long behind me now and my yearly budget is much the same as a monthly one from those days. Anything brought new is researched and chosen for longevity quality wise, underwear is on strict squad rotation to ensure even wear and only replaced when I’m too embarrassed to hang it out :rotfl:
    The only thing I won’t compromise on is footwear, in particular riding boots, have lost far too many toenails to tolerate anything not up to the job :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How long could you go without buying clothes?
    I've probably got enough clothes and footwear to last me to the end of my life - assuming I'm going to live waaaay past three score years and ten.
    But I may well buy something today. :D
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Apart from underwear and footwear, undoubtedly for the rest of my life. Once I tackle my food mountain, control of which only began today, I will then move on to the ridiculous amount of clothing, which I will never wear again, or have never worn in the first place! At least I have stopped buying new clothes: I just cannot bear to part with them. Yet.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    5 years all but, had to buy a pair new shoes after 3 years and my sister been recycling some of her excess via me since year two. I now have the minimalist wardrobe I wanted and things are replaced as required.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another who could go several years if necessary - aside from accidental damage to one of my two pairs of jeans for example. i loathe clothes shopping with a passion and happily make do. I do like the odd chazzer bargain and my MiL always gets me a voucher from a particular shop for birthday and christmas which i enjoy spending - but I could easily go without.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I buy almost all my clothes from charity shops and treat them as a sort-of library.
    I buy them, wear them and then re-donate and buy something different.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IF I could find decent clothes in my size, I daresay I could go a while. However, as I am now a UK siz 20, I struggle to find good quality, well made things. (I have taken up sewing/dressmaking to get round this).

In the meantime, I am stuck with rubbish quality that doesn’t last ling and tends to have to be replaced.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I buy almost all my clothes from charity shops and treat them as a sort-of library.
    I buy them, wear them and then re-donate and buy something different.

Heya, this is great, how long have you been doing this for? I kinda do something similar, and aim to re-donate, buy selling what I can hehe. And keep the things I really like
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure