PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How long could you go without buying clothes

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I find that any attempt to go clothes shopping usually ends in tears or at least temper tantrums. I will buy clothes if I see something I like when browsing in charity shops for other things (like books and Misc), but it's very much a relaxed and informal mode of acquistion.

I'm not hard on clothes and they tend to last me a goodly long time, especially since 90% of them were pre-owned by someone else.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Usually, 6 months to a year between purchases - if not longer. I've even got a short white satin dressing gown my sister bought me for Christmas the year I turned 13 (still in perfect condition). I'm 45.

They don't make M&S stuff like they used to!

Reality bites every 3-6 months when I have to buy more socks, as I refuse to have any with holes in and the OH is the same shoe size/has no boundaries where they are concerned, to the point that I almost considered getting ones with floral patterns to try and keep him away from them. He doesn't just put holes in them, he seems to wear them in a way that they turn transparent and
    I hate shopping, but internet shopping for clothes is even worse, as you never know whether the measurements given are real or imaginary.
    Repairing socks? :eek:
    Life's too short for that.
    Well, mine is.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Repairing socks? :eek:
    Life's too short for that.
    Well, mine is.

Mine, too. Which is why I buy cheapie ones, as something which cost about 45p a pair in a pack hurts far less to chuck away than something that cost a fiver. Himself ruins every pair of socks the same, no matter the cost (as I realised when the 80p reduced to clear ones in a camping shop - full retail price £28!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: - went for a Burton after I'd worn them twice hill walking for hours and he'd worn them once for about 96 minutes.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I certainly would not wear OHs socks. Non elastic tops at least 3 sizes too big is not a good look. lol.

Love John Lewis. Never been in Bon Marche and the only thing I have ever bought in EWM is a cashmere scarf. BTW I'm 74 but trendy in a classic way.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2018 at 1:53PM
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    I certainly would not wear OHs socks. Non elastic tops at least 3 sizes too big is not a good look. lol.

Love John Lewis. Never been in Bon Marche and the only thing I have ever bought in EWM is a cashmere scarf. BTW I'm 74 but trendy in a classic way.

I hope I am trendy, too. Stopped colouring my hair, but the grey is brighter than the faded colour that it ended up! I have it spiked, too.

Big specs and dangling earrings, bold colours, make-up and suitable perfume.

The one thing I draw the line at is a bare-shoulder top! Ugly.

Edit to add: my role model for clothes is Prue Leith.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just bought a load of clothes from Oxfam. I probably won't buy anything other than tshirts now until 2019.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could go for years, but I don't really want to.

I hate clothes shopping with a passion, as I don't want to buy manmade fabrics, and I am 180cm tall with a relatively small bust. Belgian women are shorter and more equipped than I am, so nothing fits. And even if it would fit, I find clothes unnecessarily expensive here, and badly made. In March I bought two pairs of jeans-like trousers in sand and kaki, which fitted well, even a bit on the tight side, but after wearing them for only a few hours, I can hoik them up underneath my armpits, which is not a good look :D and another reason I hate buying new clothes.

BTW: once I have clothes that fit, I do take good care of them, and I do mend them while watching telly of an evening.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm on my third wardrobe this year.. I have lost a fair chunk of weight and just, for the first time in 18 years fit in a size 12. I am desperately lacking in bras and in another 2 stone might have to buy another size smaller.. I kept being told off for wearing my too big clothes!

I loathe clothes shopping.. I tend to order online and send back what doesnt fit.. and once or twice a year.. only ever in the sales!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Went to an 80's theme party recently and wore an original 80's outfit from my skimpy wardrobe. Love those shoulder pads, lucky they're removable for everyday wear!
  • ger27
    ger27 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Made redundant in my 50s I had a very limited budget. Add to that I no longer had corporate wear AND I finally lost that extra 2 st that had been yoyoing up and down for nearly 40yrs and I was in major need of clothes.

As I'd gone down 2 sizes I needed new properly fitted bras and I prefer good shoes with a wider fitting (bunion!!!) so stuck to midrange shoe shops for my new footwear.

The rest comes from a good local charity shop. The standard of donations is high - a lot of clothes are brand new with tags from M&S and I've also has a new LK Bennett dress.
    I love trying all the colours I never wore in my younger days!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport