PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long could you go without buying clothes

Options

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=JessyRM;74486244_I_am_awful_at_impulse_buys,_especially_if_they_are_in_the_sale._Love_charity_shops_but_end_up_donating_half_of_it_back._[/QUOTE]

This is me with cs clothes and those bought in a sale, but I rarely part with anything I paid a good price for because I think about it more before buying. Hope that makes sense.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Bellisima wrote: »
    What an interesting post, as I was thinking the other day I really do not need any more clothes and I am going to stop buying them! My wardrobes are groaning with good, wearable stuff so decision made. Apart from undies I am buying no more! Poor old JD Williams will be upset, but hey ho that is life.

'need" and 'want are 2 very different things.
    I don't need new clothes, bags, shoes, jewellery etc but I know I'll buy something if it takes my fancy.
  • Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Bellisima wrote: »
    What an interesting post, as I was thinking the other day I really do not need any more clothes and I am going to stop buying them! My wardrobes are groaning with good, wearable stuff so decision made. Apart from undies I am buying no more! Poor old JD Williams will be upset, but hey ho that is life.

Mine too unfortunately and weirdly I think inside me their is a minimalist (of sorts) trying to break free as clutter makes me stressed and fuzzy headed. It's just avoiding the temptation of the shiny things .
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I realised last year, that my clothing stash was a bit out of control. As a result, I decided I wouldn't buy any clothes in 2018. I haven't yet, and I have to tell you, I don't miss it one bit!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At my age, 71, I am not skimping on clothes. I am not going to look like a frumpy old bird!

Edinburgh Woollen Mill stuff says old bird! Apart from the rare top, badly cut and frumpy.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    At my age, 71, I am not skimping on clothes. I am not going to look like a frumpy old bird!

Edinburgh Woollen Mill stuff says old bird! Apart from the rare top, badly cut and frumpy.

I'm a few years younger (just got my state pension & bus pass :j watch that girl go! :rotfl:) but EWM is not my style either (nor is Bon Marche).
    But then again, I'm usually to be found in jeggings & Doc Mart's in the winter and Next/Mantaray/Tu/Wallis dresses or linen trousers in the summer.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had to leave my home suddenly and lost almost all my clothes about a year ago. I have only just got to the point where I have more than one wash-load's worth of clothes - mostly through charity shops, sales (often combined with online discount codes) and the occasional 'splurge'. I just hand-made a skirt too! I think I'll need more jumpers come winter, but I'm fine until then - unless a real bargain pops up in the charity shop!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »

Oh I'm so glad you posted that. I was beginning to think it was just me.;)

I'm an inveterate people watcher and just today I noticed how some older women must keep their clothes donkeys years. It's the hot weather that must have made them dig into the back of the wardrobe and find blouses and beige trousers that Mrs Noah must have worn! :eek:

Most of my clothes are fairly classic styles and good quality fabrics so they don't date or wear out quickly. I read fashion pages regularly, look at styles I like and then decide whether I have something similar already or whether to browse the shops for a new item just like it.

So to answer your question OP. If I really couldn't afford it then I could probably go for years and years without needing anything new. Fortunately I'm not in that position so I'll carry on shopping to keep my wardrobe up to date as necessary.
  • Thorhalla
    Thorhalla Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I bought two t shirts on Saturday, and realised that I hadn!!!8217;t bought any new clothes for possibly a couple of years! !
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Usually, 6 months to a year between purchases - if not longer. I've even got a short white satin dressing gown my sister bought me for Christmas the year I turned 13 (still in perfect condition). I'm 45.

They don't make M&S stuff like they used to!

Reality bites every 3-6 months when I have to buy more socks, as I refuse to have any with holes in and the OH is the same shoe size/has no boundaries where they are concerned, to the point that I almost considered getting ones with floral patterns to try and keep him away from them. He doesn't just put holes in them, he seems to wear them in a way that they turn transparent and cannot be repaired.

I hate shopping, but internet shopping for clothes is even worse, as you never know whether the measurements given are real or imaginary.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family