PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long could you go without buying clothes

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sweetcake wrote: »
    Heya, this is great, how long have you been doing this for? I kinda do something similar, and aim to re-donate, buy selling what I can hehe. And keep the things I really like
    Many, many years.
    We used to have a great weekly flea market in my town which was also a great source of 2nd hand clothes.
    Still there but not so great now.

We have an Air Ambulance clearance shop in my town and everything is £1.00, I've had some great bargains from there.

So as to nor derail the thread by talking about charity shops, why not come and join us on this thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768262&page=59
    :)
  • mrssd
    mrssd Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try Country Casuals which are available on-line from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill. EWM also do a couple of other ranges, which are mainly cotton, well-made and last well. Dress-making is the way to go, as it gives you a "uniqueness" and gives you the freedom to define your sense of style in a way that stores cannot.
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How long could I go without buying clothes? About 24 hours.
    How long before I need to buy clothes? Years.
    Love them.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I detest shopping for clothes. My body type doesn't seem well-catered for although I have found some German brands in chazzers which fit me better. Since I am a white briton, I almost certainly owe some of my DNA to that part of the world, which might explain it. Perhaps I should book a trip and go clothes-shopping on the continent (shudders at prospect).:rotfl:

I second EWM, I have a couple of their tailored cotton blouses from chazzers and they're incredible, wash and wear wonderfully and have been trucking for years with no signs of wearing out or even looking a bit tired. Unlike the wearer, lol.

If I didn't have an office job, I could have a smaller wardrobe, would quite happily live in gardening duds for 90% of the time.

I had some successful chazzer shopping last September when I had some leave and am now well-stocked with office-appropriate trousers and blouses, so shouldn't need anything of that ilk for a while.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How long? Ummm, a very long time!

Before retirement, I seemed to have no end of clothes - for work (office based), for around the house, casual wear for shopping/days out, dressy for special events etc etc. Post retirement, my wardrobe was drastically pruned making life much simpler and I'm glad of it too - I hate shopping, especially for clothes and shoes.

That said, I don't mind pootling around charity shops although nowadays I take in more than I buy from them. :D The only thing I have bought this year is a BNWT summer top from CRUK (£3.25). :) I need new slippers later in the year and maybe some new underwear if I see any at a bargain price. ;) Other than that, there's nothing I need.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 July 2018 at 8:46AM
    Options
    I could go without buying clothes for ages as long as I can buy fabric and yarn and beads as often as I like, since I make a lot of my own clothes and jewellery.
    Shoes I have to buy (usually Hotter as they fit best) and I normally buy underwear & socks, plain T shirts and straight jeans from M&S or Sainsbury's when grocery shopping - I don't buy anywhere else as being size 20 they don't fit. I will sometimes browse shops to see what's "in" this season in terms of style and colour but only when I'm in town for some other reason. Anything smart or office wear is generally home made including my big winter coat.
    I spend more on my dinghy sailing clothing (wetsuit, spray top, boots, buoyancy aid etc.) than on everyday wear.
    My over-large fabric and yarn and beads stashes are much more of a problem though - I call them part of my pension pot, as when I retire I won't be able to afford to buy them but will have time to use them!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    How long could I go without buying clothes? About 24 hours.
    How long before I need to buy clothes? Years.
    Love them.

I could have written this......:D

I am moving house shortly......and have already started packing my clothes away. :eek::rotfl: it really rammed home just how many clothes I do have.

In the past I have had purges and got rid of things and then later regretted it so I am now very loathe to part with anything.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I have years worth of stuff in 3 different sizes and I think it could last me decades. Much of my wardrobe is at least a decade old, but I always was a classic rather than fashion dresser.
    I wore a T shirt last week that I bought the week Princess Diana died, it is very thin now but Lowe Alpine made good coolmax t shirts in the 1990s.
    This year I've bought new underwear because my husband pointed out that I was wearing undies with holes in the wrong places!
    I have also bought a pair of jeans in the January sales, as the previous ones died.
    I haven't bought anything that wasn't to replace a worn out item since my sister's wedding 4 years ago.
  • JessyRM
    JessyRM Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish I could stop spending money on clothes! I am awful at impulse buys, especially if they are in the sale. Love charity shops but end up donating half of it back. I'm currently 8 months pregnant and already regretting spending money on clothes I've hardly worn but finding regular stuff to fit at a size 16 and pregnant is difficult.

Thinking of trying the capsule wardrobe thing this winter..
  • Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What an interesting post, as I was thinking the other day I really do not need any more clothes and I am going to stop buying them! My wardrobes are groaning with good, wearable stuff so decision made. Apart from undies I am buying no more! Poor old JD Williams will be upset, but hey ho that is life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure