02 Classic PAYG tariff

Options
melbury
melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I have only just discovered today by accident that this tariff has been changed.

This has been brilliant for me and my husband who rarely make calls and texts but need a mobile for emergency use.

He still has nearly half of the original £10 credit that came when he bought the phone from them a few years ago.

Is it true that they will now disconnect your number if you do not top up £10 every six months?

He is disabled and cannot go out alone without having a phone with him, but very rarely uses it.

When I try to view the terms and conditions it says I am not authorized to access them - what is going on?
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• alanjones60
    Options
    If your on the classic already,you can stay on it. You dont need to top up every 6 months,only send a text or make a call or use data once in a 6 month period to keep sim working. I know this,because the classic payg sim is what i use
  • melbury
    Options
    If your on the classic already,you can stay on it. You dont need to top up every 6 months,only send a text or make a call or use data once in a 6 month period to keep sim working. I know this,because the classic payg sim is what i use

Thank you so much for your reply.

I panicked because I read that even if you are already on this plan you have to top up £10 every six months or they will disconnect your number. So is that totally untrue and they won't just cut you off?

I was so disappointed because it has been the perfect plan for us who hardly ever use a mobile phone:(

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, I'm on it too and no need to top up every 6 months if you are already a customer.

Just make one chargeable event every 180 days.
  • melbury
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Yes, I'm on it too and no need to top up every 6 months if you are already a customer.

Just make one chargeable event every 180 days.

Thanks, what a relief.

I think sometimes companies forget that there are actually elderly people out there who very rarely use or need a mobile - purely for emergencies.

• HoofeHearted
    Options
    When I last checked. it does say in the Ts&Cs that you have to top up every 6 months. However, it is not true.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    When I last checked. it does say in the Ts&Cs that you have to top up every 6 months. However, it is not true.
    Except that O2 can enforce the T&Cs anytime they like. This is from their web page a few moments ago:
    “If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account.“

Regarding infrequent users, networks are not charities and exist to generate income for their shareholders. It was good while it lasted.

Three still have their 321 PAYG which is very similar to O2 Classic, currently you only need to make a call once every 6 months to keep the number active, with no need to top up... however Three can easily change that.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Except that O2 can enforce the T&Cs anytime they like. This is from their web page a few moments ago:
    “If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account.“

I have it in writing from the o2 exec office that the T&C's are wrong.
    ====
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I have it in writing from the o2 exec office that the T&C's are wrong.
    It may be significant, however, now that the O2 PAYG Classic tariff is no longer available for new customers, that those incorrect T&C's have never been corrected...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • melbury
    Options
    Oh I do hope they don't bring this six month top up rule in.

As I said, my OH has only used just over £5 of his first top up over the past few years.

I can't believe that they would disconnect phones where people have quite a bit of credit remaining - is that even legal? It is like stealing from them.

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    I can't believe that they would disconnect phones where people have quite a bit of credit remaining - is that even legal? It is like stealing from them.

Has been the case ever since PAYG was a thing. Don't use it, you lose it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure