PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I wonder if the shortages will be of similar things as WW2 because its imported good again? I do like bananas!

Bananas are one thing there will not be a shortage of, unless folks panic buy them. AFAIK bananas are not grown in Europe, they are imported from the likes of West Indies / South America, currently directly into Portsmouth. I stand to be corrected if anyone knows of European bananas plantations

The wartime shortages were due to many things, ships being sunk was main problem, and of course weapons and fuel took priority over non necessity food at that time
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone considered the possibility that we aren't trading directly with a country for their goods but with a third party company who might be based in the EU? Therefore we might not have a trading agreement with that company because they made an agreement with the whole of the EU. One for further investigation.

And a few banana facts...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_industry
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Back in the older days we had Bananas & Dollar Area Bananas & a different duty rate on each.
    'Ware Smuggled Bananas...

We have form for Seville oranges. Somewhere our desire for them was misinterpreted as they must be a weapon. I can see that a frozen orange would dent thin armour, but really! Such misunderstandings.

Oh yes & mixed citrus marmelade is still a wonderful thing. For the purists only Seville will do, but to make something acceptable, oranges lemons grapefruit & co can all do their bit. I am trying again with quinces as apparently they smell wonderful, set like green apples & make a quince marmelo that has to be nibbled on to be believed.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected if anyone knows of European bananas plantations

Well I know a guy in Pitsmoor here in Sheffield who was growing them It even made the BBC news a couple of years ago

Sorry for barging in, but been lurking on this thread for a couple of weeks and I'm happy to observe that it seems troll free so I'm in...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    Options
    ...If you'll have me. Growing up in the 70's/80's, three day week, threat of nuclear war etc etc, prepping seems natural to me. And maybe it's the hunter gatherer instinct.

Given that I don't get out much we started our prep last October, with a gentle 'buy one extra' on things like paracetamol, toilet roll & kitchen roll & a little dried pasta I'd also managed to get 60 days stock of my essential meds provided by my GP.

Of course by April that all went out of the window so we started again. I've got about 30+ days on my meds and hope to build that up a little (with a couple of extra weeks of lower dose surplus supplies where I can just double the dose). I think the only thing I'm worried about is panic buying, and my meds getting disrupted - oh yes and the endless rhetoric.

Hopefully it'll just be like the millenium bug all over again

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Oh yes & mixed citrus marmelade is still a wonderful thing. For the purists only Seville will do, but to make something acceptable, oranges lemons grapefruit & co can all do their bit. I am trying again with quinces as apparently they smell wonderful, set like green apples & make a quince marmelo that has to be nibbled on to be believed.

I grow quinces (sadly there aren't many this year) but have only used them for jelly, which I make most years. They do indeed smell wonderful, and are a beautiful golden colour when ripe. But the jelly is always pink.They are really hard to cut up though!

I shall have to try the marmalade.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    <nostalgic sigh for millennium bug>
    At least we knew it was real, if even we didn’t know what might wobble.
    I had a box of nappies, three tins of baby milk, and a bottle of duty free vodka set aside ready to cover anticipated challenges then.

This likely coming little local knees-up has required rather more thoughtful planning, although the same extra cash in hand - goods always easier to trade than notes.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    <nostalgic sigh for millennium bug>
    At least we knew it was real, if even we didn’t know what might wobble.
    I had a box of nappies, three tins of baby milk, and a bottle of duty free vodka set aside ready to cover anticipated challenges then.

This likely coming little local knees-up has required rather more thoughtful planning, although the same extra cash in hand - goods always easier to trade than notes.

As an interesting aside, back in 2008 I ran/was de facto CFO/COO for a distribution company with over £1m in our client royalty account. The directors mainly started to panic about that £1m and it was suggested that we take a portion out and place into separate accounts to mitigate any losses for our clients. I ended up writing a very long late night email explaining what would happen should a high street bank fail, and that in such circumstances we were much better buying guns, ammunition, tinned beans & coal than trying to spread our obligations across multiple failing institutions. Sanity prevailed I'm happy to say, and the consensus was 'we hold our nerve'. I didn't mention my good clients in Iceland - they variously instructed us not to try to pay them by any means - if memory serves they waited over six months. But this is just an illustration of how rhetoric and scaremongering can make matters a whole lot worse - especially in the era of clickbait & fake news

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Well folks, the long awaited announcement has finally come that there will probably be shortages of food, medicines and fuel come Brexit day and I now expect there to be gaps on shelves in the shops. It will be interesting to see what people feel are the necessities of life as opposed to what I think are the necessities of life.

I think it’s clear that if you haven’t already started stockpiling then this document is the starters gun.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I would expect the month of October to be interesting and demanding for those in retail who need to get consumables (shelf-stable or otherwise) onto shelves.

It's very likely that hysteria will be fanned by the media and cause panicky and unpredicable shopping patterns, which will generate some local shortages, which will generate panics spread in minutes on social media, and thus it will go around and around.

You only need to see the excessive consumption which precedes any public holiday or rumour of snow to get an inkling of what might be in store (pun intended).

I expect that there will be extra work for car bodyshops as over-excited drivers manoever in crowded carparks. Might be a good idea to keep out of these places with your treasured vehicle in the last days before B****t.

I'm old enough to remember the Three Day Week and the power flickering on and off like fireflies, too.

Might be an idea to have an alternative method of making a kettle of boiling water, as Tea is the rod and staff of many a life. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family