PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On my plot someone has put down odds and sods of cover including plastic and a large area of cardboard. I've bought some proper fabric too and will be putting that down, although I have considered green manure. Weed removal first though, along with some carpet underlay which I now understand is contraindicated!

Aaargh!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,268 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bsuije wrote: »
    OK, so this may be a completely silly question, but in the case of food shortages in the UK, what's to stop someone from getting in the car / on the train / on the plane and heading across to France/Belgium/Netherlands, filling two suitcases full of food and bringing it back? :huh:

Admittedly, the cost will most likely be prohibitive over a long period of time, but would there be any other issues? Customs maybe?

Practically nothing, but Customs if it is decided to play silly bu66ers, differing standards could apply then as we would not be part of EU and could set our own requirements

Unlikely, but the one area could be meat products, say outbreak of swine flu in France for instance, or of course tariffs, we could slap a big tariff on say Dutch pig meat products protect our own farmers
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you factor in all the costs of getting to the continent including petrol, air/ferry ticket and cost of the bus to and from the terminal you'd probably be better off just accepting the higher prices here in the UK. If you go on holiday however make sure to take enough hold luggage capacity to allow you to stock up on goodies but make sure you know if there are limits on amounts of anything you buy allowed to come back into the UK. I too think customs will be very hot on looking for smuggled goods once (if it ever does) Brexit happens.
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The most likely issue with bringing in food from an EU country is keeping the weight or size small enough to be considered for personal use. If this is after brexit, there is also the lack of freedom of movement to consider.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've not forgotten my godmother's tears of joy as I unpacked my bag & unloaded tins of ham into her lap. She was living in Estonia at the time & meat was more expensive than amber.

I don't think it will get that bad here, but the Irish had a mass abandoning of ponies & horses for fun when money got tight.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Twenty minutes down the road and I’m in the Irish Republic, no shortages there and Borris says he is not going to man the border

Seriously though the major stumbling block is the Irish Backstop and coming from the north of Ireland I’m in agreement with it. I’m also pro EU in case anyone asks. I think THIS sums the whole debate up in less than four minutes

What is doing the rounds over here is that Borris will go for a hard Brexit and then once that is achieved he’ll call an election: Con, Lab, Lib Dem’s or Lab/ Lib Dem’s they will no longer need the DUP then you’ll see a border down the Irish Sea or some other such arrangement. The Irish will be happy, the EU will be happy and Borris will be happy. Then we’ll all be friends again, except for the DUP who will pay a heavy price for holding the UK Government to ransom

Well that’s what I think

Kevin

Kevin
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I think we are approaching the time when two party politics will be a thing of the past and governments will be formed by representatives of more than two parties. Compromise and co-operation will be the order of the day. On a more mundane level, compromise will be required if we find ourselves unable to get exactly what we want in the shops for a while, and co-operation amongst families, friends and neighbours to see the country through the initial post-Brexit days until things settle down. Any preparations we can make over the next couple of months or so will help minimise disruption to our daily lives.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've worked in the food industry and my employer exported to Eire. All that changed was the price (substantially upwards). I would be surprised to find that much is different now; i.e. that a big chunk of Eire's food originates in, or comes via, the UK. Don't know how much docks in Irish ports directly from the Continent or elsewhere? How much originates in Eire itself? For all its status as a sovereign nation, Eire is intimately involved with the UK.

Not having a dig, I have visited both Ulster and Eire over the years and enjoyed both.

Laineyt, about 20 years ago, I was browsing peacefully in an independant greengrocer, one of the many we have now lost. Just me and the business owner. Two rather obnoxius women came in, walked all around the shop making critical comments about the produce, clearly designed for the ears of the proprietor, whose till was in the middle of the shop floor.

Their final flounce out was because he hadn't got any English apples. In early June. That poor long-suffering man and I exchanged a sypmathetic look at the appalling level of ignorance.

I have 1.5 allotments and find, as do all others, that they get away from you very quickly. I have just emptied two areas of ground (spuds were lifted) and the onions are about to be taken out of a third area. I will be forking through both, and tickling them over, adding organic material.

What I refer to as my 'winter work' is clearing ground which will then stay cleared for several months. Clear anything in spring and leave it for months and you have a rough meadow trending towards a bramble patch.:rotfl:

As a person of the greenish persuasion, I am much in favour of each country growing as much as possible of its own produce for its own use, subject to climatic limitations. It's nonsensical to truck foodstucks (I am thinking of the % of like-by-like imports and exports) around to satisfy the rules of a trading bloc and an abominable waste of resources. People die now because of air pollution, and the coming generations need us to be a lot less foolish and selfish, and to think of them and their needs, too.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    This came into my inbox this morning.
    All those taking meds should be reassured. The Government has it all sorted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-service-to-deliver-urgent-medicines-and-medical-products-into-uk?utm_source=dfde55ea-8de0-4f41-955b-d3becae59dfd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

The Department of Health and Social Care is strengthening its Brexit preparations with a £25 million contract to set up an express freight service to deliver medicines and medical products into the country.

The department is leading a procurement exercise for an express freight service as part of the government’s plans to support continuity of supply when the UK leaves the EU on 31 October.

The service is intended to deliver small parcels of medicines or medical products on a 24-hour basis, with additional provision to move larger pallet quantities on a 2- to 4-day basis. The service will be available to the whole of the UK.
    End quote.

Well worth a read if you are worried.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    Twenty minutes down the road and I’m in the Irish Republic, no shortages there

You’ve probably noticed though how much processed food there is of English origin - all the junk from cakes and biscuits to sugar laden breakfast cack. We can look forward to a slimmer fitter population in the event of a hard brexit.

I do agree the dup have seriously overplayed their hand here, and probably aren’t even representative of their own voters, never mind Northern Ireland at large which voted remain. I suspect no one would be more relieved than Arlene if it’s all called off. Some day, one party is going to win an election with a decent majority and all the smaller parties from dup to plaid cymru and green will be ignored.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure