Manchester Airport May 19th

Options

Comments

• Deehem
    Deehem Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not aware of any Ryanair flights taking off on Sunday after issues were established, I'm wondering if this is factually correct, and whether they deemed it easier to cancel the flights than consider fuelling from nearby airports?

I suppose without records of fuel within the aircraft at the time, we cannot be sure if this is entirely possible - but if they had alternatives and chose not to take it, this would most likely fall outside of EC.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 May 2019 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Deehem wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any Ryanair flights taking off on Sunday after issues were established, I'm wondering if this is factually correct, and whether they deemed it easier to cancel the flights than consider fuelling from nearby airports?

I suppose without records of fuel within the aircraft at the time, we cannot be sure if this is entirely possible - but if they had alternatives and chose not to take it, this would most likely fall outside of EC.

I can see that some Ryanair flights did depart MAN after 14.00 on the 19/5. Some of those were on the Dublin shuttle which could tanker enough fuel for the return flight from Manchester. However, there were some other flights too. What I'm unsure of is how many Ryanair flights were cancelled on the day.

I also noted that you were probably the last incoming flight to MAN that diverted to an alternative airport. As you were landing at LPL there were many flight on approach to MAN. From my understanding of the events affecting your flight it seems they made all the wrong decisions at the wrong times, I sure it could and should have been handled better.

Easyjet may have had their own motives for the way they handled the situation, which suited them rather than the passengers.

There is legal precedent from the EUCJ regarding 'all reasonable measures'....

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=82052&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=80225

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    I have today sent an Email to consumer enforcement at the CAA requesting clarification on the Manchester Airport fuel problem. I also asked them to issue some guidance via their website and social media that would assist passengers.

Let's see if and when they get back to me or issue a public statement.

As most regulars here would probably have predicted, the CAA have done.... yep, absolutely nothing. They didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge my email.

It's hardly surprising they are disliked by so many!:mad:
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "Chocolate Tea Pot" comes to mind!!!!!
  • katybshopper
    Options
    We were among 180 passengers left stranded in Sardinia when our flight back to Manchester was cancelled on 19th May. Other than a text message/email offering a refund or new flight, Ryanair left us to fend for ourselves. The next flight out of Cagliari was not for another 3 days and we were told only one night's bed and breakfast would be provided. Also there was an airport strike planned for the Tues which we were warned would have a knock on effect.
    Given that there was no-one from Ryanair to speak to at the airport, the call centre was closed, and we couldn't all get on Wednesday's flight we booked an Easyjet flight to London the next day with train home.
    After Ryanair refused to reimburse our receipted claim for expenses, I asked the Civil Aviation Authority to mediate but on filling in the form was told they could not help as: The CAA does not investigate complaints where the flight departed from another EU Member State"
    I am totally confused as I understood the EC261 protected passengers travelling within the EU
  • katybshopper
    Options
    Hi, like you I had my claim under EC261 rejected. Leaving aside the matter of compensation which I can understand Ryanair wriggling out of as it was out of their control, we tried to get reimbursement for our expenses in getting back to Manchester via London with Easyjet/Virgin.

Ryanair failed miserably in its duty of care and did not meet any of its obligations set out in clause 3 of the EC261 but unsure how to pursue it. Anyone else had any success?
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Hi katybshopper,

You are covered by EU261 but neither the CAA or their equivalent in other European countries can enforce any findings against the airline. For that reason it's not worth contacting them.

You are due your rerouting costs back from Ryanair.

The CAA are in the process of taking enforcement action against Ryanair and the ADR process has been suspended as a result. This means the only option at the moment is the ESCP procedure (European Small Claims Procedure) which is a bit messy.

Good luck.
  • pfenig
    pfenig Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    We are in the same boat, we boarded a Ryanair Flight from Rome to Manchester on the 19th at 21:55, the other passanger was a very elderly disabled veteran who I was taking care of, the flight was cancelled while we were on board the plane. Getting off the plane and the subsequent hotel although provided for by Ryanair and flight at 7am was exhausting for a disabled person (note we got on this flight as standby since all their flights that week from Rome to Manchester were booked up, we had no idea we'd be flying in the morning we just turned up).

I wrote to Ryanair and they replied that no compensation is due under EU261/2004 as this was caused due to extraordinary circumstances beyond Ryanair's control i.e. the fuel at Manchester.

I still don't see why they didn't fly to Liverpool or refuel along the way and if they knew about the fuel pump during the day why did they make us board the plane?

@Tyzap Wondering if there is a case here to proceed with, the claim is really a protest at the shocking treatment we had by Ryanair, originally we were told we'd only be flying out on Wednesday or later (I have to work during the week also). The cancellation caused us many problems and undue stress particularly for the disabled genetlemen but no direct financial loss other than taxis.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    pfenig wrote: »
    @Tyzap Wondering if there is a case here to proceed with, the claim is really a protest at the shocking treatment we had by Ryanair, originally we were told we'd only be flying out on Wednesday or later (I have to work during the week also). The cancellation caused us many problems and undue stress particularly for the disabled genetlemen but no direct financial loss other than taxis.

The EU261 compensation, of €400 p/p in your case, is exactly that. It's to compensate you for the inconvenience of the delay. Whether you claim for it or not is up to you.

As I have intimated to other caught up in the same situation, there is no reason why your flight could not have departed and landed at Man as scheduled. There was no problem with the fuel supply at the airport you were departing from!

You were held up and needlessly inconvenienced for the convenience of the airline imho.

Good luck.
  • Deehem
    Deehem Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

The CAA have since acknowledged my complaint and have indicated they are following this up with Ryanair. Just to add, so soon after the last Ryanair fiasco with the CAA.

Let's see what the (in)conclusive outcome is... in about 10 weeks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback