Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• pheasant_plucker
    Options
    Which energy company offers electricity unit prices of 9p/Kwh ?

sorry my mistake should have said 4.6465p cheaper, gosh I was 0.3535 of a penny wrong! They have now increased their tariff by about 7% but still 3,923p cheaper than Octopus, but being a high electricity user still makes an awful lot of difference to me.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Missmarie wrote: »
    Well, just to add here that I switched over to them and no problems. They are cheaper than the previous supplier. I have seen they are a white label supplier including Marks and Spencer. No problems at all I am happy to report.

Now I am confused. M and S Energy is now a white label supplier of Octopus.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/07/ms-energy-announces-new-partnership-with-octopus-energy-/
  • System
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Now I am confused. M and S Energy is now a white label supplier of Octopus.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/07/ms-energy-announces-new-partnership-with-octopus-energy-/

I assume that you were talking about SSE?
  • firsttimemover
    Options
    Asl77c wrote: »
    what code? im just gonna switch and thought id ask?

I've just sent you a PM
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 October 2018 at 12:10PM
    Options
    My very recent experience as a potential new customer has just been awful.

I went through the MSE Cheap Energy Club, and could see that the CS rating is high so didn't think there would be a problem. First the phone line encouraged email contact - which is what I did, only to eventually get an email response asking me to call instead!! The warning signs were there but I still went ahead based on the CS rating. The line was poor, and the CS operative constantly talked over me.

Then when I tried to switch, the quote was nowhere nearly as low as the monthly price shown on MSE. They couldn't explain the discrepancy, but in truth I am more inclined to believe a tool endorsed by MSE than a comparatively new company. That's not the reason I'm not switching to Octopus, I just don't wish to deal with an inept CS dept. This is in direct contrast to my water provider, who isn't in competition for my business but I gave a 5/5 rating to earlier this morning. Or FD bank, which always gets it right.

Bottom line: if you value CS, forget Octopus.

Eta: I've just looked at the MSE Cheap Energy Club again vs Octopus' own site (which is not transparent about the tariffs available). I am pretty certain the calculation they have made is based on a tariff that doesn't currently exist. I think Octopus should be scrubbed from the search results until the company is in a position to provide accurate rates.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2018 at 1:41PM
    Options
    sorry my mistake should have said 4.6465p cheaper, gosh I was 0.3535 of a penny wrong! They have now increased their tariff by about 7% but still 3,923p cheaper than Octopus, but being a high electricity user still makes an awful lot of difference to me.

Well you still haven't said which company offers electricity unit prices of 9p/Kwh? If you just make up figures and don't say which company you are talking about then you really are talking a lot of nonsense.
  • pheasant_plucker
    Options
    if you think it's nonsense so be it, I don't really care. Look up your own tariffs and perhaps you'll find out
  • System
    edited 4 October 2018 at 5:50PM
    Options
    if you think it's nonsense so be it, I don't really care. Look up your own tariffs and perhaps you'll find out

If you have found a supplier that is offering such a good deal on electricity, then why not do the decent thing and share the information with other MSErs? Many comparison sites are giving information such as this:

Quote Both gas and electricity consumption is measured in kWh. The unit rate you pay will vary depending upon the energy price plan you’re on, and even the region you live in, but the average cost of electricity per kWh is 14.37p, and the average gas cost per kWh is 3.80p. Unquote

The price per kWh that you are paying seems to be outwith what the market is offering. That said, I have been offered a tariff with electricity at 5p/kWh which is true. It is restricted to EV owners only and the 5p unit price is only available for 4 hours a night. The tariff is Octopus Go. Octopus also offer a tariff called Agile where they will pay consumers to use electricity at certain times of the day. I am not trying to be clever: this site only works because people are prepared to share information.
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a knock on the door at teatime.

"Hello, we're from Octopus Energy..."

Me: "Sorry just switched away from you."

Shocked looks: "Why?"

Me: "Because you're too expensive and I've moved to another supplier who is much cheaper."

More shocked looks: "ER, OK...bye."

Not very persuasive. Better if they stopped paying people to annoy folk at the door and used the money to reduce their tariffs!

I guess they must have lost most of the 90K Iresa customers then. :rotfl:
  • bbarroso
    bbarroso Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I moved out of my property on July the 2nd, just before Iresa ceased to trade.

A month later Octopus set up a direct debit and starts to debit my account. I mailed them asking what that was and never got an answer.

Probably will have to pop into my bank and ask them to step in
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure