HELLO From New Zealand

Options

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kimsmum wrote: »
    Hi, I understand how you feel I am from Northern Ireland lived in Wellington for three years and I worked but never had friends.
    Then moved to Australia stayed a few years then came home.
    Hope everything turns out the best for you.

Thank heavens there is someone else who has had this happen. I thought it my individual problem!
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Is there an ex-pat community close enough for you to meet and greet some Brits abroad? I know its not why you move overseas but it might help to see someone once in a while who is another fish out of water too.

It might seem like the grass is greener elsewhere but the sheer volume of unemployed over here and the way the cost of everything is spiraling out of control you may well find things are just as bad here.

Hope today is a better day for you.

There isn't a formal expat community here, other ethnic groups - korean, chinese, etc often have community centres, or regular meetings, but I guess us brits are meant to fit in fine with our kiwi cousins that we dont need that sort of thing. So no there is no support out there. I think the brits and the south africans maybe just try to blend in and we don't get thanked for it.....
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • chevalier
    Options
    NB CAN'T REMEMBER how to do multiquotes, so I will just do each one in turn oops:o. Thanks guys for the support.
    It does sound quite grim Chev. Especially with the annoying things going on at home. Waiting and seeing for ANYTHING sucks. December. !!!!!!. And you know what I reckon it is going to be one of those things, where my OH will be walking in the door of the court, and we will get told they have dropped it! Gits.

Do you like New Zealand? Is it as beautiful as Lord of the Rings suggests? (lol) Yes it really is awesomely beautiful.I have been places that were so beautiful the made me want to cry!

Why did you move there in the first place? (just to see if you still feel the same) My OH had wanted to emigrate for a while. We had been here on holiday twice before that, and we were amazed at how cheap the house prices were here, and how cheap it was to live (we thought). The weather was fantastic and the people so friendly and willing to help, that we thought it would be an amazing place to bring up the family we were just starting to have.

BUT all of that is seen through the eyes of a tourist. And since 2005 when we decided to go, there was the biggest house price boom in NZ history. Now houses are on a par with the UK but not as well built. Over a quarter of homes have problems with leaking and not being weather tight, and it seems very hard to find out which ones are and which are ok. Since we arrive the exchange rate which made everything look so cheap when you are spending pounds has gone from 2.75NZD to the £ to 1.89NZD to the £. So everything seems more expensive. We are now fully using $ and OH wage doesn't cover our outgoings this is despite him earning a top 4% salary! This is mainly due to renting a house that is too expensive, but we didn't know that at the time.

Once you live here people are still polite and friendly, but letting you in their circle of friends that some of them have had since nursery? Er nope. And to be fair why should they, they have people who they have known all their lives still around, who they can swap childcare with, go on holiday with etc etc. So why do they need a new comer, why invest emotiional time with them, when they may not stay anyway? (I am sure this is some of the issue).

I do wish I could give you a hug. thanks virtual one accepted:)

I always suggest this but could you do something like Dog walking? shopping for old ladies? Sorry I hate shopping with a passion as it is lol.Can you volunteer in a Charity Shop? I do do this twice a week.

TO be honest I can imagine these ideas seem very silly, things don't sound good. I would find it Very hard to hold my nerve re the court case. more hugs. I just want it finished, and as I have said above, I am sure OH is going to get over there having spent all that money and it not happen, or the judge will take one look at it, laugh and throw it out in minutes.....And this will be a good thing, from not having to pay out £50, but bad in that it will have taken OH away from us at xmas time.

I would say at this point with the possibility of having to go home in December I would go all out with coffee invites and the job applications and think sod it, if its all still going tits up you can say you have given absolutely your best shot. I think for you that would be important, to look back say actually even tho it was hard I stuck it out and did all I could to follow the dream of living in NZ, regardless of whether it works or not. THis is when we are both 83 and in an old people's home :) and comparing stories! Yes I am trying to do this. In fact I was saying to someone else on her, that once we are moved into the new rental, I will be telling OH that we have 12 months to make this work, and then I WILL be giving it my absolute best shot. But if things are no better then then that is it. My reasoning is that DS1 will be about to start secondary school then, so if we are going to come back then that is as good a time as any. Then he can still be in on the ground floor of subjects like history and geography that tend to be euro centric. Also he would have enough time to start learning a language too. (they only do a bit of maori here in primary).

As for OH, eeek. does he like it there? Do you ever see much of him? what does he think about the gifted school and or coming home? Can he clean the sodding oven (as IF you would do that whilst you are still living there, it is cleaned on the last day cos you are using up till then)

hugs

Love Buffy xxx

Yes OH does like it here. He doesn't want to live in the UK again, so we are in for some interesting times. I think more specifically he doesn't want to live in the south east again. The thing is if we go back I know now that we can get jobs anywhere in the country and cut our cloth to fit. Far better than we could than when we went away. You really do make do and mend here, far more than in the UK, and that would stand me in good stead if we return.

I don't see as much of him as I would like, because he works as hard now as he did in the UK. This is annoying as he was meant to have more of a work life balance over here. SIGH. On the other hand he does have enough energy to be involved with sports and things, and has the time to do that which he didn't in the UK.....

thanks for the hugs
    chev
  • chevalier
    Options
    Don't know what to say Chev so a dodgy hug coming your way :grouphug:

DTxx

Thanks beanilou and DT for the hugs. Yep he really would earn that much more, IF he could get a job. He is now 46 so I think part of his reticence about changing again could be that he might find it hard to get something..... I don't know for sure though. IT is such a growth industry even now.....
  • chevalier
    Options
    Hi Chev,

An awful lot seems to have happened in your life since I was last on the boards and read your diary :(

I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your dad, I empathise with all that you're feeling just now :heart: I still feel the loss of mine keenly, even after 3 years have passed.

I feel humbled and grateful at your kindness in posting on my diary recently, whilst you've been dealing with your own issues ... thank you :A

As others have said, let it out if you need to ... whilst it's not the same as having "real" friends around you ... people are here for support :)

Thinking of you and wishing you well
    G'Angel xx

Thanks G'Angel

Thing with my dad is that I am now finding we are much more alike than I Thought we are. It explains why things could be strained between us. But now he is gone, I have no chance to explore this knowledge and I find that very hard on top of everything else that is going on.
    chev
  • chevalier
    Options
    So have had a nice time over the weekend. Boys have been good and have got some stuff done. I have taken my confidence in my hands and said Anthony can have a friend over to sleep over next week. A bit worried because the boy is Korean, and I haven't been able to speak to his parents about it, as they don't speak English. I will just have to take his word for it that all is well:eek::eek:.

Of course this means maega cleaning again......And guess who is the only one around to do it..... SIGH.

I am a bit disheartened now. Started off the morning well, as am trying to keep up with the matrix re evolution and had been bouyed up by what they are doing. Then I went to see a house. SIGH. It was 'ok', and it would have done. Was very cheap

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=402340013. I even took pictures. But when it came to asking about a cat/other pet, suddenly the negotiable pet bit wasn't. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I really want to get my older boy a pet. I have pets since I was 3, he is now 10, he needs to have something to take himself out of himself a bit. Something to be responsible for and to enjoy that isn't a computer game etc. But our landlady here is adamant no pets (despite having a cat flap in the door go figure).

I actually got quite emotional when I was in the cafe I went into for comfort eating lunch.....which is not like me at all, to nearly break down in public. I guess it is just the ALL the crap going on at the moment, is starting to build up on me.....I just wish these agents would be honest...
    chev
  • moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps she'd OK you having a pet which lived outside. Or after six months of rental you could try asking again once you've proved you won't trash the place.

Owl is ready to flutter his way over to you but is delayed by the lack of surname on the parcel. PM me and he'll be in the post faster than you can say deep fried rat with noodles in korean.

Happy cleaning! I have that to look forward to this weekend.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Chev - sorry to hear that you are having a pooey time out there in NZ. I know what you mean about confidence or rather lack of, I am the same although you would never think so to look at me. I always worry about what people think even though I say that I don't care - I do really.

Is there a way of training your boys to at least tidy up after themselves or help with the washing up in exchange for pocket money? (Pocket money need not be a lot).

Dare I say it but I have aways thought that the New Zealanders were far more aloof than their Aussie counterparts and therefore not as easy to make friends with. Aussies are more about mateship whereas New Zealanders talk to sheep because there are more sheep than people.

As for having a whinge, you are welcome to do that on my diary - thanks for posting there, your kind words have been welcomed.

Keep your chin up gal - things will come right in the end.:)
  • chevalier
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Perhaps she'd OK you having a pet which lived outside. Or after six months of rental you could try asking again once you've proved you won't trash the place.

Owl is ready to flutter his way over to you but is delayed by the lack of surname on the parcel. PM me and he'll be in the post faster than you can say deep fried rat with noodles in korean.

Happy cleaning! I have that to look forward to this weekend.

I have sent you back my surname. Thanks very much for that! Rental Agents are pretty adamant over here, if they say no pets, then that is what they mean. Some of them even have it written into the rental agreement, so if you get a pet without discussing it first, then they will tell you to get rid of the pet or leave....:eek:

chev
  • Wordsmith
    Wordsmith Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, chev. You do sound so fed up - you are always giving other people good advice, I wish I could do the same back for you. I can only suggest, as you already have yourself, that you give it a time limit, let your OH know (really know) how hard you are finding things and get him on board with the time limit. Does he have friends, or just work colleagues? Is he happy with how your social lives are? Do you know how your boys would feel about going back to the UK?

You have so many things to contend with at the moment. If the house in the UK was sorted and you no longer had the worry of the court and you had money from the sale, how much better would that make your situation in NZ? Obviously it is not going to find you friends, but would it take other pressures off so that you feel strong enough to sit it out until you can find genuine people that deserve you? I don't know the background to the court problems - how much of a leg to stand on does the other side have?

I admire your no-nonsense responses on other people's diaries, so I wish I could do more than give you virtual thoughts and good wishes. But you do have those. Good luck.
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure