British Passport Services scam

Options

Comments

• Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport - This is the correct passport site - fee is £72.50 or if post office checked £81.25.
    There are loads of these scam sites around - the car tax VED one is another to watch out for.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like the government are cracking down, at last, with these 'scam sites':

"Five people have been arrested as part of a crackdown on websites made to look like official government sites.

The arrests come after more than 5,700 complaints about the websites were made to the Advertising Standards Authority and Citizens Advice.

Most were linked to alleged scams over fees charged for tax return, driving licence and passport applications.

Those held last week under the Fraud Act are on police bail, trading standards officials have announced.

An awareness campaign is also being launched by the government warning people to look out for the misleading internet sites, whose URLs often contain fragments of official web addresses, such as "govuk" or "directgov".

Official government services can only be found on the gov.uk website.

Richard Lloyd, executive director of consumer organisation Which? said the copycat websites mislead people into paying potentially hundreds of pounds for services that should be free.
    "People should be aware of rogue websites that are out there trying to exploit them ”
    The National Trading Standards Board said it was making it "as difficult as possible" for online hoaxers to operate.

Its chairman Lord Harris said: "We have been working with search engines such as Google and Bing to remove adverts from online search results and we continue to gather intelligence across the country to help tackle this issue.

"We urge you to avoid unofficial websites which could leave you out of pocket or at risk of identity theft."

Consumer affairs minister Jo Swinson said: "It's great that it's becoming easier and more common to use the internet to order official documents such as passports or tax discs, but people should be aware of rogue websites that are out there trying to exploit them and take their hard-earned cash and even put them at risk of identity theft.

"The enforcement action which the National Trading Standards eCrime team has taken demonstrates the government's commitment to tackling these scammers. We will not let them get away with misleading consumers."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28189070

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • NK88
    NK88 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Any update on what happened? I have been sucked in but have not given my card details
  • GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having read through this message thread, I'm a little concerned that anyone else reading this will be unclear about what to do if faced with this situation - and that advice needs to be spelled out simply and starkly.

If no payment details have been given, ignore all demands for payment. Ignore threats about debt collectors, or anything similar, as nothing can be done by the scammers unless they choose to enforce what they believe to be a civil debt through Part 27 proceedings in the County Court. Such a claim would easily be demonstrated to be made in bad faith, and struck out accordingly. The scammers know that the cheapest and most productive tactic is to bully and threaten in e-mails and letters, and they will eventually give up.

Most of the early passport/VEL/EHIC renewal scam companies have disappeared since Google started to enforce its own policies about not listing paid-for services that can be obtained for free, but as you can see from the above there are still a few around. And posters who have said that such activity by these scammers isn't illegal are quite right - generally, it isn't illegal - but just because it is legal doesn't mean that you have to pay a penny unless the scammer gets judgment at Court - which they never will.

So... don't respond to letters demanding payment, and don't pay. That's it, in a nutshell.
  • NK88
    Options
    thanks for the reply.

so what about the contract? legally binding??
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2014 at 11:19PM
    Options
    NK88 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply.

so what about the contract? legally binding??

Legal yes... but as Grace says... not worth worrying about.
  • NK88
    Options
    ok, thanks. I know I am sounding paranoid but can they do anything in terms of ID theft given they have ones address, DOB, email, telephone etc
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok, thanks. I know I am sounding paranoid but can they do anything in terms of ID theft given they have ones address, DOB, email, telephone etc

Possibly... if they really wanted to.

It's a bit late now to be thinking about that, but I would suspect that they are only interested in trying to get the money you have promised them.

Yes, you do sound a bit paranoid. :D
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options

I doubt they would actually misuse any of your details. These companies are already under scrutiny and survive because they are legal - I don't think they would jeopardise that.
  • stickyicky
    Options
    Mate, any news since the letter? I got the same one and need advice asap :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family