Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.

Options

Comments

• ScattySkewbald
    Options
    Hi mfm - I had my 1poll through yesterday. I think you were only a couple of days behind me so fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer.....
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2014 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Hi mfm - I had my 1poll through yesterday. I think you were only a couple of days behind me so fingers crossed it shouldn't be too much longer.....

Thanks SS that's good to know. Am up to a whopping £1.25 again :D

Just got stung on lunch but I paid cash so no bank impact. Have left myself just enough money to cover the postage of my fleabay item, and moved another £12 to the Big Bill fund. Nearly at 5%, but still soooo slow.

Realised the £25 I had set aside (in cash) for the gardener hasn't been needed this month so will move that on pay day as well.

Had a gas delivery the other day. However we are now on a monthly payment plan so that, combined with the lower price plus already half full tank, means we won't move too much into Debit. Am feeling better about this now.

Will have to start shopping around for car insurance and house insurance soon. Oh that reminds me, I think Sk* are over-charging me for Broadband. First up, I haven't heard anything about the £95 credit for M&S I was supposed to get for going via an MSE link, though I did get the standard £100. And now I seem to be getting charged for "not having Sky TV" which was nowhere in my information when I placed the order. :mad:

(Edit: it was calls. Need to train OH not to use landline during the week!)
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    My missing TCB claim has tracked so that should be another £40 when it arrives. That will go to the Big Bill. Think I'll make an overpayment to CC next.

Baby steps!

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Have updated signature as it's payday. Paid family debt - nearly half way there! Paid Credit card (regular use one). Went to PO and posted my parcel, paid cash so have moved the £4 I had left yesterday into Big Bill. Also received over £90 in TCB :j so that has gone into the Big Bill as well. Suddenly that's looking a bit healthier.

Will need to focus on 1poll for a bit, it's slow but easy. TCB is more lucrative but only if you are spending money in the first place! But I think that's the majority of the "easy" wins moved across, so it will get harder from here on in.

No buying lunches. TT's. Keep fuel costs down. <repeat>.

• cazmanian_minx
    Options
    Just noticed your sig when you commented on my thread and wanted to say WOOOHOO for the way the Big Bill saving is coming along :D
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    Thanks Caz :D. It's mainly been a TCB payout; and those were as a result of hotel bookings from our holiday. So unlikely to be repeat-able, but it's certainly off the ground. :T

The Big Bill is my annual field rental. I used to religiously save up for this but given all the other things that have happened I've lost this habit. Once I pay it in January I will start doing so again.

Notified that expenses have been released so hopefully they will be through soon. Will put them straight into 0% card I think.

• mfmaybe
    edited 19 October 2014 at 2:33PM
    Options
    It's the weekend :beer:. Yay!

I'm really tired today. Still lazing about in my PJs. I think I need a list:

[STRIKE]Ride[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Food shopping[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Bottles to recycling[/STRIKE] DONE
    Garden stuff to tip
    [STRIKE]Pick up debris from garden[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]Sort leaf mould and clear yard[/STRIKE] DONE
    [STRIKE]washing away[/STRIKE] DONE
    plant alliums
    dig out gloriosa bulbs and store
    water other plants
    move rubbish from building work
    [STRIKE]wash horses rugs[/STRIKE] DONE
    List stuff on fleabay

As per usual lots of grubby physical chores. What do people without horses or large gardens do on a weekend :p

In money news I was thinking about the small MSE things I do. For instance, it dawned on me a while ago that I always turned on the hot tap to wash my hands, the boiler would fire up and use gas, but the hot water hadn't reached me by the time I'd finished. So now unless I'm doing a proper pre-bedtime wash, I always use the cold tap. We're definitely a "jumper before heating" household, although the woodburner helps here! I'm not wasteful particularly; we're a lot better with food than we used to be, although I've always used up any leftovers, used meat carcasses etc. We could maybe be better with our electricity (house has loads of downlighters so need to remember to turn these off). I'm sure there are others but I love reading people's tips. I might have to look at the OS board for a bit.

Right, off to [STRIKE]have another cup of tea[/STRIKE] get some stuff done. Maybe. ;)

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Managed two things off my list so far. Whoops! Better get the shopping done at least!

• ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi, I'm only on page 5 so I'll probably says things that are totally out of sync, but please excuse me.

1. My dad always called the bank statement 'the monthly liar' as it never had any resemblance to their actual finances.

2. Why not run spreadsheet with the 'old you' spend - lunches, coffees, shopping etc. that way you'll see just how well you are doing.

Right back to the reading

Ailz
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    ailz95 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm only on page 5 so I'll probably says things that are totally out of sync, but please excuse me.

1. My dad always called the bank statement 'the monthly liar' as it never had any resemblance to their actual finances.

2. Why not run spreadsheet with the 'old you' spend - lunches, coffees, shopping etc. that way you'll see just how well you are doing.

Right back to the reading

Ailz

Goodness, that's dedication, reading the whole thing. I hope you haven't passed out from boredom :p. Thanks for dropping by. I've definitely cut the spending, albeit I was never much of a shopper. Food bill has been cut a fair bit though, which is good.

So managed another couple of things off my list but nothing particularly momentous. Still, a lazy day isn't such a bad thing. And riding my horse is always the fun bit; although I was wet right down to my briefs :eek:.

Just realised the cat is nearly out of her prescription food. Better go and order some. It's really expensive but does usually last a long time!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family