Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Gnocchi

5. It looks like if you're on a tax restriction they just reduce this, you don't get any money.

By restriction do you mean he had underpaid tax? If so then why would you expect to get any money - the marriage allowance credit of £212 would reduce the tax owed so he's still ultimately getting the benefit of the £212.

HR at company husband works for puts records on secure system (hopefully) online. You log into website of outsourced HR provider and can see own records

It says that he's due a pay rise on 15/09/16 (not automatic) which would put him into the 40% tax rate by £38.

He would only pay 40% on that £38 but I am guessing he would lose out on marriage allowance then ?

In short yes. However he could consider making some pension contributions or a gift aid payment which have the effect of increasing the amount you can earn before becoming liable for 40% tax. If you definitely can't use the marriage allowance you have transferred to your husband then this is something he could consider (and then advise HMRC of what he's done and his new pay figure expected for the year so they can update his tax code as necessary)
  • gullibleone_3
    Options
    Hi there can i apply if claiming child tax benefits?
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Hi there can i apply if claiming child tax benefits?

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/how-it-works

It tells you here who can apply.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2016 at 7:16AM
    Options
    Give the tax office a ring, sometimes a reminder hurries things up, it did in my case.:)

Just make sure you have NI no. handy for reference.

hi, have you received your refund cheque as yet.
    just asking cos I am still waiting for mine
    OR
    do you or your hubby have to apply for it again?
    Nice to save.
  • FarangBruce
    Options
    Hope I am using this right-This is a question -not an answer.
    My wife has Indefinite leave to Remain- She is able to work in the UK but is a housewife. I am retired. My question is this-Is she eligible to transfer her tax allowance to me? Or is this reservered for full citizens?
  • Tales17
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will give it a while before we call them. My Dad had a stroke a while back so isn't really up for phone calls when he doesn't really understand what is going on with things any more :(

Hence I am trying to help my parents out to get them the most they are entitled to. Already cut their bills down dramatically to save them a lot :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope I am using this right-This is a question -not an answer.
    My wife has Indefinite leave to Remain- She is able to work in the UK but is a housewife. I am retired. My question is this-Is she eligible to transfer her tax allowance to me? Or is this reservered for full citizens?

As far as I'm aware she'll be eligible, as long as she has an NI number. Note that you can't transfer the whole tax allowance - just 10% of the standard allowance (so £1,100 this year)
  • Ln1_2
    Options
    Hi
    Just need info please, I'm still technically married but we've been separated for four and a half years. I think he had the allowance on his but unsure of this and don't communicate with him. Any ideas on what I need to do please ? Also is there a cheaper way of getting divorced, as I can't afford to do it
    Thanks
    Ln1
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 September 2016 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Ln1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just need info please, I'm still technically married but we've been separated for four and a half years. I think he had the allowance on his but unsure of this and don't communicate with him. Any ideas on what I need to do please ? Also is there a cheaper way of getting divorced, as I can't afford to do it
    Thanks
    Ln1

You do understand that with MAT one spouse gives and the other receives? If the current circumstance will still mean that "he had the allowance", there is nothing in MAT for you. You may even end up out of pocket.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2016 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Ln1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just need info please, I'm still technically married but we've been separated for four and a half years. I think he had the allowance on his but unsure of this and don't communicate with him. Any ideas on what I need to do please ? . . .
    If you have transferred the Marriage Allowance to your husband then your Personal Allowance will be reduced by £1,100 for this tax year. i.e your tax code will probably be 990 instead of 1100.

If you have an income, your payslip should give you your tax code. You can withdraw the MA by asking HMRC.

Edit
    Marriage Allowance was only introduced last year so it seems unlikely you would be unsure about the transfer. Are you sure you are asking about Marriage Allowance?

If you are not living together, however, your husband will not be entitled to claim Married Couple's Allowance - which is a different tax relief.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback