PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi culpepper, cheers for replying :)

The mah figures are really useful thank you - I'd been looking at the solar phone banks on ebay and wasn't sure how those numbers translated in real terms. The best value ones appear to be shipped from China, usually about a month, so there might also be delays and import tariffs.

I need to do a bit more research but it sounds like my best bet would be to get a mid priced one from the uk to cover phone/tablet, and utilise my carer's freezer to store ice packs, maybe DIY them with cold (hot) water bottles? That and a cool bag should give me 24hrs grace with a bit of luck.

Hopefully won't need it of course, but I've experienced how quickly things can go wrong without power. Thanks to MSE's PPI advice I've been given the means to try and offset the worst of any disruption, be rude not to really!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) With corned beef, if I can remember I fridge the can before opening, take both ends off and push through. The refridgeration makes the fat around the lump of beef more slidey and it comes out more easily.

If you can't get a can opener around, and have to use the key but at a risk of cuts, how about wearing marigolds? I've had some nasty cuts over the years through washing up previously opened tins for the recycling and a hand wound would be the last thing you'd want in a crisis.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Plus they frikkin hurt! Slice my finger open a few months back, slicing potatoes for chips. Potato just slipped, and knife went straight through tip of finger. So many nerve endings there, it was really sore. Only just avoided needing stitches too.

DH then bought me a potato chipper contraption. I promptly crushed my thumb in it, and cut it that way! lol. Misuse on my part. I use a different technique with it now!

Re power banks, fishing stores sell some very, very large ones. They are not cheap, but they are good quality with huge capacities. DH has a couple (he won one, and bought another).

Example - https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/ridgemonkey-vault-c-smart-powerpack
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • tartanrose
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I wish, I wish, that tinned corned beef tins had ring pulls.

I have had so many cuts from the regular tins with the key. But nevertheless have bought some for the cupboard. I love it.

I posted earlier about deciding to have just a week's supply in. So here's the list.

Corned beef,
    Tuna
    Red salmon
    Baby potatoes
    Tomato sauce and plum tomatoes
    Tinned soup various flavours.

Pasta
    Noodles
    Cup a soup

Coffee mate (big big tin X2) as I cannot stomach UHT milk. Does the job for tea/coffee.
    UHT for everyone else.

Butter
    Olive Oil
    Seasonings, herbs and dried garlic/onion etc.

Extra bread in freezer.

Already have portions of batch cooked stuff in the freezer.

2 x 5 litres of water in a big square bottle. Looks scary lol!

Cheese of course, three blocks of mature cheddar divided into portions. Not freezing them, they'll be fine.

Parmesan no freezing, will be fine.

M+S have lovely Pinot Grigio in a bag. Bought two, very extravagant but could be good to have!

One bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin and plenty of Tonic. See above!

OTC meds.

Have I forgotten anything?

I think we would survive a week on that. Well we shouldn't starve anyway.

Apparently I'm too new on here to be trustworthy to post a link. Huh!
    If you haven't already seen Jack Monroe's blog post on Brexit, hunt about for the one last November What (and why) I'm stockpiling for Brexit. It might fill in some gaps.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • DryTheRain
    Options
    Crikey euronorris that's a serious bit of kit, thanks for the link - think I'll email them and ask if there are lower priced options that'd suit my circs.

According to the insulin instructions, it can be stored at up to 8 deg before use, and can tolerate higher (but not excessive) temperatures once the seal is broken. So I should be ok for a while provided I crack open one of each insulin asap if the power goes off. Here's hoping for no heatwave!
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    Hi culpepper, cheers for replying :)

The mah figures are really useful thank you - I'd been looking at the solar phone banks on ebay and wasn't sure how those numbers translated in real terms. The best value ones appear to be shipped from China, usually about a month, so there might also be delays and import tariffs.

I need to do a bit more research but it sounds like my best bet would be to get a mid priced one from the uk to cover phone/tablet, and utilise my carer's freezer to store ice packs, maybe DIY them with cold (hot) water bottles? That and a cool bag should give me 24hrs grace with a bit of luck.

Hopefully won't need it of course, but I've experienced how quickly things can go wrong without power. Thanks to MSE's PPI advice I've been given the means to try and offset the worst of any disruption, be rude not to really!

With ebay and china you have a 60% chance of getting a fake filled with sand or dead cells.
  • DryTheRain
    Options
    I've had mostly good experiences buying from China, but I agree it's a bit of a lottery specially for something important like this.

For basic peace of mind (ie phone charging) I went for the top rated Rleron model on Amazon (£26.99) which seems very good so far. It fully charged via mains in about three hours, and topped up a smart phone and tablet from 70-100% within half an hour, without disturbing its own 100% charged status. Colour me impressed so far!

Also got some other good deals from the web, including the 20% off sale at natural collection dot com (too new to post proper links). It's a health/whole foods hybrid store, so while it's expensive if you choose pre-prepped soups/curries etc there's plenty of hidden treasures, including 500g soya mince for £1.54 and 300g 'sosmix' for £2.58' plus the Essential Trading range, which is very well priced.

Oh and a small offline indulgence: two bottles of Morrison's excellent Tio Pepe (fino) knockoff, for cooking purposes obvs :)
  • juGGaKNot
    juGGaKNot Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    got 70 sardines cans, 70 no added sugar chocolates, pickles ( sainsburry voucher ).
    20kg meat in the fridge
    4-5 kg of coconut oil/butter, 2kg shampoo, 600ml deodorant ( lidl super weekends )

Going to get more seeds ( home bargains ) and instant coffee ( asda ).
    And another shipment of cooked meat/goat cheese from romania, just in case it gets blocked.

With the free food i get at dhl I'm good for up to 3 months with no spend until prices normalize.

Already have 2 jobs and working 12+ hours 5+ days a week, might get another one.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just ordered some more bars of soap, toilet rolls and deoderant as well as some batteries. The freezer is full and I have extra tea, coffee, tins of soup, stock cubes, torches and tea lights.

Having four DDs everything will get used eventually even if there are no disruptions to supplies of goods or shortages.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family