PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting observations re the News. I like the Raptitude site, only discovered it a few months ago, but there's a lot of thought-provoking stuff there.

I will still continue to watch the news, though. It makes me feel 'connected' for want of a better word. I am house bound and so it can feel like the world is just passing me by and without that I've no idea what's going on. I remember being without any TV when in Morocco many moons ago for 3 weeks and I really hated being without the news. Reading is an option but due to health issues I tire easily and I cannot concentrate for long at a time, so the chatter of the news channel is something I can tune in and out of, and it's company when OH is away. If I'm reading at all it's fiction or perhaps I need to research something, but I tend not to read the news online. There are some types of stories that are distressing so I will turn those off if they come on. But overall, I disagree with Raptitude on that one, for my personal circumstances.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I completely agree about watching the news. I used to have it on everyday as I am currently on maternity leave. We had a new roof last month and had scaffolding up for over a month. The scaffolding cut out the signal to our sky dish so we were without tv the whole time. I was not bothered in the slightest. It was actually really nice not knowing what was going on and when we eventually did get to watch the news I found I really hadn't missed anything important. Like someone else said it's normally them just filling the time with scaremongering about all manner of stuff.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I stopped watching years ago. It's usually a lot of filler/nonsense and often depressing. If I see something pop up on my FB newsfeed that looks interesting, I'll google it and find a news story or two to read more, but it's rare.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like to keep a finger on the pulse so we watch the news with our morning cuppa but that's it until 6 O clock and after 6.30 when the local news comes on we turn over or turn off. I think being aware is very important and being ahead of any problems that might surface is more important and also I want the weather forecast every day as we spend a great deal of our time outdoors whenever we can.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its fine to stock up 'in case' if you have the space to store everything. We have very little storage space, what we do have is full to bursting. We cannot use our attic at 75 with osteoporosis I am not up to climbing ladders to get stuff down.

However I have bought extra tinned meat and fish, vegetables, fruit, soup. Several cartons of long life milk and dried milk etc. My freezer is pretty well stocked too. I recently bought a package of 24 toilet rolls, shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, laundry powder, toilet cleaner, bleach and washing up liquid. I had some old towels which I cut up into squares and over locked the edges to be used should we run out of loo roll. They can be used and washed off put in a bucket to soak and then washed, dried and reused, beats newspaper every time!!

We do grow our own vegetables and some soft fruit, I also grow drying beans, I have several different kinds in jars, they make a good alternative source of protein and can be added to stews etc to bulk up meat. sausage and bean casserole is one of my grand childrens favourites Another thing I do is add a table spoon of either sage and onion stuffing or lentils to mince.

We do watch TV but are equally avid book readers. I keep meaning to buy candles......you just never know!!
  • euronorris
    Options
    Finally managed to find some dried milk in the supermarket this morning. Not sure why it eluded me for so long, but have some in stock now and that's all that matters! :)
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Thick question: in which supermarket aisle does UHT milk live please? I've never bought it, and realise I wouldn't even recognise the packaging.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Probably depends on the supermarket but in our branch of T**** it's on the same isle as the tinned fruit.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Thick question: in which supermarket aisle does UHT milk live please? I've never bought it, and realise I wouldn't even recognise the packaging.

I sainsbugs its down the coffee and cereal aisle where we live
  • euronorris
    Options
    Well, this shows variations even between the same supermarket, but different location. For me, in Sainsbugs this morning, it was in the same aisle as all the 'free from' stuff. Food stuff's on one side, cow's milk alternatives on one side, with small section for UHT milk and dried milk on one end!

ETA: In Lidl, at least by me, it's by the eggs and flour etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure