PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Raspberries and blackberries will still grow in shaded area. I have both growing against a north facing fence which gets hardly any sun except at midday in the height of summer. Your crops will probably just ripen a little later.

If you want thornless blackberriy bushes you will need to buy.a thornless variety from a garden centre. Wild brambles transplanted will have thorns and may be difficult to manage once they start growing robustly.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Good point Primrose! Thank you. With a toddler, probably best to get a thornless variety. She did a good job helping me forage last year, but we both had a few ouchies!

A different work colleague has just told me that he has an out of control rhubarb plant in his garden, and a cooking apple tree, both of which just go to waste each year as they are 'too lazy to do anything with it'. Me: 'Err.....bring in all that food please, I will cook it and eat it!' lol.

We do have a rhubarb plant ourselves, but it is pot bound. DH never got around to transplanting it. Not sure how it's still going to be honest. Anyway, I cleared the really shady corner of our garden couple weekends ago and we are going to transplant it there this weekend and hope it survives/thrives!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also grow raspberries, redcurrants and blueberries on a north-facing side of the garden, so largely in shade. The raspberries are insanely productive! We get 2 crops from them, one in June and one in September/October. The one redcurrant bush produces a heavy crop each year, the blueberries less so but they're smaller and younger plants. We freeze most of the berries. Last year we planted a white currant bush so hopefully will see a few berries from it this year! Our soil isn't clay at all but a free-draining more sandy variety. The only threat to the raspberries is if we have very misty wet weather, then they can rot.
  • euronorris
    Options
    Thanks zentimes. We also have blueberry and blackcurrant plants. These are all potted in self watering system and seem to produce well each year. They are in a very sunny area! lol
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another one who grows raspberries on a north facing fence & mine crop well too. Euronorris - have a look in Morrisons too - I bought a thornless blackberry a couple of years ago and the berries are huge as big as your thumb! I've also got a red gooseberry but the thorns are lethal.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    I'm another one who grows raspberries on a north facing fence & mine crop well too. Euronorris - have a look in Morrisons too - I bought a thornless blackberry a couple of years ago and the berries are huge as big as your thumb! I've also got a red gooseberry but the thorns are lethal.

We used to have a green gooseberry but yes, the thorns are nasty! So in the end replaced it with the raspberries and so glad we did. Even if they are 6 ft high in autumn!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    We do have a rhubarb plant ourselves, but it is pot bound. DH never got around to transplanting it. Not sure how it's still going to be honest. Anyway, I cleared the really shady corner of our garden couple weekends ago and we are going to transplant it there this weekend and hope it survives/thrives!

Shady area is not ideal for rhubarb, unlike blackberry etc
    I've just moved mine from it's shady area to a sunnier spot
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • euronorris
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Shady area is not ideal for rhubarb, unlike blackberry etc
    I've just moved mine from it's shady area to a sunnier spot

Ohhhh, right you are. I got it mixed up, seems its the other way around. Mmmm, scuppers my plans a little. Need to rethink. Thank you.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    On a more sombre note, I've been considering getting a landline phone and/or solar power bank so I can summon help if the electricity goes kerplunk (T1 diabetic). Would it be feasible to run a USB fridge off the latter? Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

I think the little USB fridges use around 1.1 amp an hour so a power bank with 20000mah (20amp hours)would run one for about 18 hours. You would need it to be plugged in 24/7 as they are not insulated at all so you would need 27000mah roughly for a full days use and then a way to recharge it .
    Those little stick type powerbanks you see in poundland are no good for that, much too weedy only 1200mah.
    Most of the powerbanks I have seen have a 'usb in' for charging which can be plugged in to a car cigarette lighter port with a usb adapter in it or plug into a computer usb or a mains usb plug.

HTH
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Melanzana just read your post re Corned beef cans - I hate the keys too - I use a can opener on both ends and push it through. It's a little awkward in the corners but I find I can 'puncture' the can with the can opener where the wheel can't bite. HTH.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback