* Step into Christmas * & 2020 - It's the 2020 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• princesskitty29
    Options
    I managed to pick up some Christmas cards in a local charity shop yesterday, I was pleased as I hadn’t been able to find any I liked in the sales. Talking of recycling wrapping paper, Tesco were very useful this year in that they clearly labelled whether the wrapping paper was ‘recyclable’ or ‘foil’, I picked up a couple of recyclable rolls. It would be good if other retailers followed suit, perhaps a time to send a few emails suggesting it? It would also be good if Tesco just sold recyclable rather than foil!

I’ve decided this year if I start now to make people some little gifts as part of their presents. I saw an idea to make a lovely wooden spool wreath, you wrap different ribbons around wooden spools and thread them onto a wire loop, I have some wooden spools so I’m going to make that for my BiL and his wife. I’m also going to cross stitch some tree decorations, pad them out and put some backing material on to make for friends. I’m also hoping this year if I get my act together to make some chilli jam as presents. A resolution for me this year is to live a simpler life and have a bit more of a ‘make do and mend’ and attitude.

Welcome back killielila :wave:

Joyfullyfestive I love your Instagram! Oh you should definitely look into a craft business as it’s getting more and more popular. One of my goals for this year is to buy everyone at least one present from a small, independent business.

GTQ oh wow now I get why you can never look the same way at him again!!! :eek: We went to see Aladdin and they did a similar routine but with the words ‘If I were not in old Peking a …… I’d rather be,’ – it was absolutely brilliant, my favourite part of the show. This could be something that is very common in pantomimes I just don’t know as only ever been to two, once when I was a small child.

Redrobin would they be happy to do you something like a food hamper? That way it would be something you would use up. My DH doesn’t do ‘stuff’ and my mum doesn’t like to just buy vouchers so she always does him a food hamper of things he likes as well as a restaurant voucher which goes down well. Or is it the problem that they have their own ideas of things they’d like to buy you rather than what you suggest?
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Brrr it’s cold out there today! DH took Wiggle to school this morning so Squeak and I have just been at home playing and getting jobs done. I’ll have to go out to get Wiggle this afternoon so will need to wrap up warm. I’m still on a decluttering mission here, I’ve been doing it for ages, much more goes out than comes in these days but things still seem to be untidy! I think I need to organise things much better so it’s easier to keep tidy – and stay off Instagram looking at perfect homes! :p
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    I had a bit of success today with some Christmas presents, I was on The Works website buying a present for someone when I found a Christmas ‘Where’s Wally?’ book that would be perfect for my nephew reduced to £2.50 and a flashing bauble for Squeak’s stocking with his name on (Wiggle has one the same) for 75p. Then I popped to a charity shop earlier and picked up a Christmas build-a-scene book with little felt pictures to stick to the pages for 20p that would be great for Squeak, it’s an M&S book and in fantastic condition so I was pleased with that. I actually did well at the charity shop, for me I got a Topshop top/dress £2.50, a H&M t-shirt dress £2, a New Look jumper £2, a t-shirt for Wiggle, a birthday card and the Christmas felt book for £8.69! It’s a distribution centre and because it’s adjacent to a supermarket car park they get inundated with stuff so things are never that high in price because they need a high turnover.

Anyway I hope everyone is well, I feel a bit like I am having a conversation with myself in here! :rotfl:
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Lol, I was just thinking that PRINCESSKITTY :D. You did well today with your bargains. I love the sound of the felt book. On one of the Kirstie’s Hand Made Christmas programmes a couple of years ago somebody did a reverse advent calendar with felt where each day you added a felt pice until you had a whole nativity scene. I was really tempted to make one but I think me and DH are a bit old for it. :rotfl:

Welcome back KILLIELILA.

REDREDROBIN I think that’s the problem when you try to cut down on pressie giving, people just enjoy giving them. I’m the worst culprit really because every year I say we’ve got to cut down on what we buy/receive but I’m the one that keeps buying stuff.

GTQ I’ve bought a skipping rope to help with getting fitter because I thought it would be fun although it’s not as easy as I remember it.

I must admit I’m not thinking Christmas at all at the moment because I’m trying to spruce up the kitchen which is taking much longer than I thought. I’m still popping in regularly though to see what everyone else is up to.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    edited 23 January 2020 at 8:32PM
    Options
    I think I need to organise things much better so it’s easier to keep tidy – and stay off Instagram looking at perfect homes! :p

What you don't see in the photo is the pile of 'stuff' all shoved out the way behind the photographer ... that's what I tell myself anyway :D

Welcome back Killielila

I think I'm kinda done with Xmas prep currently for 2020. Didn't buy any more wrapping paper as I have loads (even resisted the large rolls I saw in Sainsburys for 1p...saying that the fact it was still there means so has everyone else :rotfl:) I did have a big of good fortune though. Bought a pack of cards in M&S at half price as O2 didn't do any freebies on their app this year :(. However I prob needed a few more and either the ones I saw were full of glitter that couldn't be recycled, or horrible....and I think I'm probably a bit old to be sending out Frozen II cards :rotfl:

Found a box of 10 in the clearance section in sainsburys, well two boxes the same (and some others of a design that clearly wasn't popular and even I couldn't bring myself to think they were ok) So I picked up the two last ones that were decent looking thinking I'd buy them I feel they were something like 99p.....they scanned at 1p a box :j

So cards sorted for next year at least and I have loads of paper still from prev years. I expect I'll pick up a few bits for others through the year too, but really don't want to fall into the trap of ending up with gifts that turn out not to be suitable for one reason or another as has happened in the past, which makes for a false economy.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• princesskitty29
    Options
    I bought another Christmas present the other day, I actually wasn’t looking for it at all. I was looking for something in particular in the Next sale then happened upon a men’s Simpsons Christmas jumper, it was £12 reduced from £36 and it is just perfect for my brother – he loves the Simpsons and it’s right up his street. Really good quality too which is nice.

I’m catching up on a couple of series of Doc Martin that I recorded before Christmas and as sad as this sounds I’m really enjoying the Christmas adverts. :D Also, I’ve decided not to wait to watch Christmas films this year, I always wait with most of them as I don’t want to peak too soon but the last couple of years since having both boys I’ve ran out of time to watch them! I managed to squeeze in Elf and the Muppet's Christmas Carol but missed loads of other ones I love.

Peppa you are never too old for anything at Christmas! You should definitely make one, I think it sounds lovely and a nice craft to make.

kerri oh I know! Must keep remembering this! Wow what a bargain with the cards, that’s amazing.
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    I finally got a chance to do some tidying up at home yesterday and found part of my niece's Christmas present, now, if I could only find the rest of it.......:o

Only thing I have managed to get so far are Christmas napkins, which the charity puts in the hampers.

Off to Egypt next week, may have a look to see if there is something I can buy, although I am slightly restricted on luggage! 2 large cases, and hand luggage for me :D Family immigrating so I am off on a mercy mission to supply suitable clothing and footwear, they are off to Winnipeg, where temp gets to -30! They are more used to winter temps of about 15:rotfl::rotfl:
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • killielila
    Options
    lergy got me and ive been in bed most of Jan my xmas decs are still on the landing to go up the loft and im behind in everything sigh
    finances disaster but baby-stepping back to security:

2024 let's do this !!
  • Redredrobin
    Options
    Oh my giddy aunt things never go smoothly do they?

We have rising damp so the council have a company coming mid feb to sort it out , taking walls in the lounge , kitchen and small bedroom back to the brick ,treating and re plastering .

The only room not being touched is the only one that actually needs redecorating ! So instead of just doing that one this year we have four rooms to sort !! Two steps forward and one back at the moment .

It has forced us to have a massive declutter which can only be a good thing .
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Nothing very christmassy happening here other than the usual putting money aside.

Normally start thinking about it properly in August. Have done little bits here and there already. If i see something that can be saved that long and will be useful then I will pick it up.

Hope everyone is coping with January ok. Know it can be a difficult month for some
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport