parcel force clearance fee

Options
Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 24 January 2019 at 2:22PM
    Options
    tremault wrote: »
    I was not sure where to post this but this seems most relevant because it's concerning postage, but the item is actually a GIFT from my Japanese friend.

my parcel was intercepted by customs. ok. it incurred vat charges. not happy about that, but it is the law so ok.

I never got contacted by anybody about this and parcel force decided on their own to pay these customs charges and then charge me a clearance fee of £12 on top of that. I never got the opportunity to pay my VAT myself, and I certainly never requested parcel force to perform this service on my behalf. I have no contract with parcel force. as far as I'm aware it is illegal to interfere with the delivery of an item except in cases where a customs charge is payable. if I send them a cheque for the VAT charge, but not for their clearance fee, I believe they legally have to deliver my parcel as normal.

Does anyone have experience of this?

I want to be clear, this isn't about whether or not their service is worthwhile, it is about the fact I did not ask them for it. I would have been perfectly happy for my friends gift to me, to wait in customs a little bit while i sorted it out with them.
    You're right. You don't have a contract with Parcel Force. You don't have to pay them anything.

Equally, Parcel Force have no contract with you. And if you don't pay them and they don't deliver the parcel, then that is the end of the matter as far as you are concerned.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if they don't deliver the parcel, they are breaking the law though.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if they don't deliver the parcel, they are breaking the law though.

What law?

You had a perfect right to import the item yourself, you would have needed to arrange this before hand with the sender, set up a proper import scheme with HMRC , arranged for a courier to deliver to the assessment centre where you could then arrange payment and arrange for it to be posted on to you.

Unfortunately it seems that your sender was not aware of your wishes and instead used normal mail , you can now refuse to pay the charges and handling. Parcel should be sent back to the sender and you can then make your own arrangements. Sender will be out by the cost of the original postage .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    Options
    Hey guys, I didn't come here for an argument. If you're not interested in helping then please move along. the postal services act states that it is an offence to cause an intentional delay without reasonable excuse. If I've paid the customs fee, then there is no reasonable excuse to detain my property or my friends property.
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You’ve answered your own question - without reasonable excuse. Payment of customs dues and associated handling fees are reasonable in the eyes of the authorities. You do not have a leg to stand on, either pay the charges and get your item, or don’t pay in which case it will be returned to sender. Thos are your only options. Anyone importing by mail should be well aware of the likelihood of charges whichever method you choose.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    the postal services act states that it is an offence to cause an intentional delay without reasonable excuse. If I've paid the customs fee, then there is no reasonable excuse to detain my property or my friends property.

The Postal Services act also states the following:
    105 Application of customs and excise enactments to certain postal packets.

(3)Duties (whether of customs or excise) charged on imported goods or other charges payable in respect of postal packets to which this section applies (whether payable to a postal operator or to a foreign administration) may be recovered by the postal operator concerned and in England and Wales and Northern Ireland may be so recovered as a civil debt due to him.

(4A) A postal operator may detain a postal packet to which this section applies until any duties and charges in respect of the packet that are recoverable by virtue of subsection (3) have been paid
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was not sure where to post this but this seems most relevant because it's concerning postage, but the item is actually a GIFT from my Japanese friend.

my parcel was intercepted by customs. ok. it incurred vat charges. not happy about that, but it is the law so ok.

I never got contacted by anybody about this and parcel force decided on their own to pay these customs charges and then charge me a clearance fee of £12 on top of that. I never got the opportunity to pay my VAT myself, and I certainly never requested parcel force to perform this service on my behalf. I have no contract with parcel force. as far as I'm aware it is illegal to interfere with the delivery of an item except in cases where a customs charge is payable. if I send them a cheque for the VAT charge, but not for their clearance fee, I believe they legally have to deliver my parcel as normal.

Does anyone have experience of this?

I want to be clear, this isn't about whether or not their service is worthwhile, it is about the fact I did not ask them for it. I would have been perfectly happy for my friends gift to me, to wait in customs a little bit while i sorted it out with them.
    Clearing items yourself is not straightforward

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-clearance-hub-for-goods-entering-leaving-or-transiting-the-eu

If you read this you might find that £12 is a bit of a bargain.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey guys, I didn't come here for an argument. If you're not interested in helping then please move along. the postal services act states that it is an offence to cause an intentional delay without reasonable excuse. If I've paid the customs fee, then there is no reasonable excuse to detain my property or my friends property.

Read post #2 again.

I'm beginning to feel you only came here to obtain agreement with your incorrect understanding of the postal import of goods process. The great benefit of a forum such as MSE is you are drawing on the knowledge of a huge swathe of the general public, some of whom will have direct experience of the particular situation.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • System
    Options
    To be completely honest, I am just really upset and I'm trying to figure out a way out of this situation.

I've read a lot about this and I realise what the law is and I realise what my options are. I can either pay this charge, or I can just leave it and let it get sent back to my friend. This puts me in massive conflict and I am completely distraught at my limited options.

A) I pay this and destroy my own sense of justice. I feel this situation, regardless of whether it is legal or not, is unfair. I shouldn't be getting charged for my friend sending me a gift. I'm not buying a product. it's a present. it feels completely wrong on a fundamental level and I would feel like I had no self respect at all if I paid it.

B) I leave it alone, and let it get sent back to my friend. my friend gets upset at the situation and loses the amount of money he paid for the postage.

I don't particularly want the items he sent me, it was just a really nice gesture he did. He wants to see it arrive and wants to see me happy. if it gets returned he will be very disappointed.
    This is stressing me out so much and to say i'm upset is not even coming close to the anguish I feel.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    £12 seems a reasonable amount to pay to avoid upsetting your kind friend.

Pay it, enjoy the gift, and move on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure