Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try a broker.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 December 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    I ask again this question as I have not found the answer to my previous question.

I just happen to know that Nationwide is not issuing a hardcopy of travel insurance anymore. There is not any email or online confirmation either. They will only confirm over the phone when you call them.

What happen to the person who need to apply for a tourist visa to travel to a Schengen country (say). The embassy will need a confirmation in writing that you have a travel I insurance in place. So for this sort of people how could they prove that they have travel insurance in place?

If you are a British citizen and need to be hospitalised some hospitals will need evidence that you have a travel insurance in place before they allow you to be treated. You have no evidence to prove that.

My question
    "Could they legally do that they just inform people when you ask and they do not provide any written or email online confirmation?"

What happen if you are about to make a claim of huge amount of hospital bills and they say you are no longer insured to avoid the claim. Also normally if you buy any insurance you will always get confirmation in writing or online or the like. I wonder how many people out there want to get insurance where you do not get written confirmation?
  • mmunro2013
    Options
    Does anyone know of a cheap travel insurance that includes cover of an insolvency of a scheduled airline or tour operator (prior to or after departure)? We will be travelling to the Caribbean (Barbados) early next year.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mmunro2013 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a cheap travel insurance that includes cover of an insolvency of a scheduled airline or tour operator (prior to or after departure)? We will be travelling to the Caribbean (Barbados) early next year.

If you book an ABTA holiday then you should be covered without having to think of your travel insurance.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • qbazdz
    qbazdz Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone knows how the current deals compare to the HolidaySafe annual family covers (Premier) these days?
  • SimonGA
    Options
    I used the "no frills" option here for a single trip (Leisure Guard Travel), and the quote was more than I get via Aviva for FAR better coverage. Is there something wrong with Aviva insurance?
  • hollydo1314
    Options
    I have booked a trip through Intrepid to visit Turkey in June this year. Given the recent political tension in Iran, I am concerned that when the time comes for my trip, it might be an inappropriate time to visit the country. Here is the bug bearer. I paid a deposit for the trip in September and I have not taken out any travel insurance. There are also flights in place, booked on behalf of Intrepid. Given it is now January, I would like someone to please highlight any insurance options that are available to me, and whether I can be covered for unrest or my own personal concern even though I have not booked insurance at the time of paying a deposit. The amount is to be paid by April. I was hoping there may be a policy out there that could cover me for any of these hiccups especially since I have only paid a deposit. Thank you in advance.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Insurance will only cover you for specific things like: cancellation, loss of baggage, medical expenses, delayed flight- whatever is included in the 'small print'- as has already been said to you on your thread.

Insurance will not cover you for change of mind on your part- only if the Foreign Office advises that only essential journeys should be made would you be covered. To be honest most of the tourist areas are far far away from Iran. Turkey is a huge country.

At this stage you could just cancel your holiday and lose the deposit, and honestly if you are seriously worried that is what I would do. (and yes, I have done it- just once.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have booked a trip through Intrepid to visit Turkey in June this year. Given the recent political tension in Iran, I am concerned that when the time comes for my trip, it might be an inappropriate time to visit the country. Here is the bug bearer. I paid a deposit for the trip in September and I have not taken out any travel insurance. There are also flights in place, booked on behalf of Intrepid. Given it is now January, I would like someone to please highlight any insurance options that are available to me, and whether I can be covered for unrest or my own personal concern even though I have not booked insurance at the time of paying a deposit. The amount is to be paid by April. I was hoping there may be a policy out there that could cover me for any of these hiccups especially since I have only paid a deposit. Thank you in advance.
    Just to add to the previous reply: You have two problems.
    1. Most (perhaps all) policies will probably only pay cancellation caused by unrest if the Government advises you not to travel. I'm not aware of any that pay out just because you feel uneasy, regardless of how well founded that unease is. You could try a broker to see if they know of any. Or just hunt through policies.

2. Even if there is a policy that goes by your judgement of when cancellation is necessary, they generally only pay out if the cause of the cancellation happened after you bought the policy and after you booked the travel. So, you need a policy that counts the booking as taking place when you pay the balance, which seems unlikely. Perhaps there is one, but I'd be surprised.
    koru
  • bbungay
    Options
    Don't understand why insurance should be purchased upon booking? In my experience it has never covered the deposit so I have always waited until the final payment has been made (or alternatively interim payments) as these are covered. This isn't the first time I have made this point.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback